If You Are On 11.3 And Do Not Have CFW, DO NOT UPDATE TO 11.4!!!!!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by goldensun87, Apr 11, 2017.

1. goldensun87
    OP

goldensun87 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!! GET YOUR ASSES TO THIS WEBSITE ASAP IF YOU WANT TO JOIN THE A9LH MASTER RACE AND BE ABLE TO RUN BACKUPS ON YOUR 3DS!!!

https://3ds.guide/

2. Dave_Chad

Dave_Chad GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    I thought it would take longer for tools to be updated to do it?

3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
    Nope. People were probably keeping exploits private. Anyone who really wanted a CFW could have bought a new 3DS (or should just not have updated in the first place...) so there was no point making exploits public if that reduced chances of having the 3DS hackable at its end of life. Now that some exploits were patched in 11.4, they won't be useful at the 3DS's end of life so there is no point hiding them from 11.3 people anymore.

4. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    They were updated ahead of time and the devs were holding them back until EOL or being fixed by an update. Obviously, the latter happened here.

Dave_Chad likes this.
  5. goldensun87
    OP

goldensun87 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    United States
    Tools? No, apparently, Smealum found a kernel exploit, it is called UDSploit. It can be used on Homebrew Launcher, which enables the execution of the latest version of safehax, which allows you to run a new tool called SafeCTRTransfer, which will allow you to downgrade to 2.1, in order to install A9LH+Luma.

6. Dave_Chad

Jun 29, 2016
    I'm on 11.3 with A9LH. It seems some stuff doesn't work well yet for 11.4 so best hold off updating? Although i have a N3DS.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

7. Nim112

Nim112 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    Cote d'Ivoire
    you mean it can be downgraded from 11.3.0-36, and put a9lh ?

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    People shouldn't even update to 11.4 even after getting a CFW. Especially New3DS owners! Right now 11.4 somehow broke the reboot code used by new3DS to access DS(i)/GBA patches. So those features will not work.
    This issue does effect all CFWs, including Luma3DS nightly/stable

hobbledehoy899 and VashTS like this.
  9. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    Crap I updated my emuNAND to 11.4. I did back up before so if needed I can flash back but i don't mess with GBA/DSi stuff anyway.

but yeah on topic - don't update past 11.3 now.

10. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    This was more of a sleeper issue. Everyone was so focused on the NATIVE_FIRM requirement and homebrew launcher breaking, that no one remembered to test out basic patches. So once everything settled down, everyone tried to go about their day only to have this issue popup.
    It doesn't help that this wasn't actually something Nintendo did and seems to be a side effect from the update

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Apr 11, 2017
  11. jockep

jockep GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2017
    Yellows8 found the exploit mid 2016 and smealum packed it early 2017 according to the udsploit github.

goldensun87 likes this.
  12. TheShadowFrag64

TheShadowFrag64 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2017
    So would I need to manually do something to my 11.3 luma n3ds to update it, or do I just go ahead and update the whole system normally?
    I'm not sure if it's been fixed or ever will be, but heard that ntr is broken for the meanwhile :/

13. Dave_Chad

Jun 29, 2016
    I always follow the 3ds guide website but it says after restoring your nand backup to "go ahead and update" but i'm guessing right now it's ok to skip this step as 11.3 has everything working currently for it. No advantage to updating to 11.4 is there?

Or is it just if you want to go online you need to update?

14. TheShadowFrag64

TheShadowFrag64 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 27, 2017
    I think it's just if you want to have access to online gaming, but you should be able to update to 11.4 once you've completed the whole process. But once again, double check with everything first on the guide

15. Dave_Chad

Jun 29, 2016
    Yeah i know it's possible to update to 11.4 i guess i just don't really understand all the stuff it breaks? I did a mates 2DS last night and it still works for installing FreeShop and downloading games...i suppose if that's all you want then updating is ok.

I don't understand the reboot patches it breaks.

16. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Addict

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I can tell u that my DS flash cart (Supercard ds two) and its forwarders no longer worked on 11.4. I flashed back to 11.3 (didn't check it on there), and they work again.

17. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    when did the exploit for 11.3 come out?

18. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Shiny Mew!

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If you are a person, do not capitalise every first letter in a sentence!!! This is not a drill!!!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Smealum released an arm11 exploit 1 or 2 days ago.

Quantumcat and goldensun87 like this.
  19. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    The reboot patches are for playing DS games and GBA Virtual Console games. So for the time being these won't work if you've updated to 11.4

They came out in the days before 11.4 was pushed.

20. AshleyCummings

AshleyCummings Gamer Girl

Dec 14, 2011
    United States
    Simmers Nation
    I was so happy when I found this guide on twitter! My 2ds had issues and had to be updated a while back so left it at 11.2, then saw this sound hax thing, and followed this guide that was EASIER then the first guide I followed for both my 2ds & 3ds, so now my 3ds XL is 11.3 on a9lh plus luma, and my 2ds is on 11.4 a9lh plus luma ... only issue .. how do I upgrade the sd cards if I want a bigger one x.x still this is amazing, they always find a way! Never give up, Never give in !
    waiting for a patch so my 3ds can be updated fully.. I use GBA & DS plus a DS R4i SDHC cart that was patched to work with my systems version o.o not updating till I know its safe ..

Last edited by AshleyCummings, Apr 13, 2017