If Windows 7 is dead... would you update to 8 or 10?

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The "Should we say RIP windows 7 now?" - Thread made me think about my own PC. It's a nice little Slim-Gamer-PC i bought in 2015: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core Processor, 8 GB Ram, NVIDA G-Force GTX 750Ti and a Samsung 120 GB SSD as primary harddrive. Nothing really fancy, but good enough to play all games up-to-date with medium or even high graphic settings.

I'am not planning to invest in new hardware in the next 2-3 years. So i'am now asking myself, if it would be smart to update directly to Windows 10 or are there any benefits if i go for Windows 8? Will it spy less on me than Windows 10?

Opinions?

P.S.: I claim all so super funny "I-wouldn't-update-to-any-version-of-Windows"-replys..." for me. :teach:

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks. Yeah, i know about tools like that. I still wanted to ask if there are other benefits of Windows 8...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Personally I think 8.1 is much better than 10
Aaaaannnnddddd.... why?

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. Yeah, i know about tools like that. I still wanted to ask if there are other benefits of Windows 8...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Aaaaannnnddddd.... why?

Was just editing that in:

"Telemetry, Forced updates, Lack of control"

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Was just editing that in:

"Telemetry, Forced updates, Lack of control"

Telemetry.. The same that's on most (if not ALL) smartphones. Forced updates? Must suck to stay secure huh? Lack of control? Of what? Your taskbar?

Here we are.. A couple of years later, and misinformation is still a thing. Kind of depressing..

vpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Telemetry.. The same that's on most (if not ALL) smartphones. Forced updates? Must suck to stay secure huh? Lack of control? Of what? Your taskbar?

Here we are.. A couple of years later, and misinformation is still a thing. Kind of depressing..

Forced updates doesn't mean security updates.
for example i block windows updates for nvidia drivers as i already have latest drivers from nvidia's site,
i block Microsoft silverlight and telemetry updates, this doesn't make my system less secure.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

BullyWiiPlaza

Nintendo Hacking <3
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just update to Windows 10, it's great. There are also tools to disable the "spying" completely if that's what everyone is scared of. Besides, all OS'es literally have some sort of feedback/spying mechanism anyway and Windows? They obviously didn't just start with Windows 10. Yet, suddenly people sh*t their pants. Data is used for statistics, nobody cares about your individual sensitive data. Nobody would ever take the time to even look at those. It's all machine learning and anonymous if at all. But sure, that's a strong reason to use an outdated system and have like 10x more problems than you could have. Not. Why can't people get that already. Plus, I didn't see one person regretting their update in my social environment and I've seen a few. :rolleyes:

Last edited by BullyWiiPlaza,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just update to Windows 10, it's great. There are also tools to disable the "spying" completely if that's what everyone is scared of. Besides, all OS'es literally have some sort of feedback/spying mechanism anyway and Windows? They obviously didn't just start with Windows 10. Yet, suddenly people sh*t their pants. Data is used for statistics, nobody cares about your individual sensitive data. Nobody would ever take the time to even look at those. It's all machine learning and anonymous if at all. But sure, that's a reason to use outdated system and have 10x more problems than you could have. Why can't people get that already. :rolleyes:
Buzzwords and fear mongering. Telemetry somehow got translated into "spying". Same thing happened with Nvidia too.

Reactions: KingBlank

Bonny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The risk of spying is no major issue for me. The most important question is: What are the benefits for me, if i update from Windows 7 to an newer Windows? Currently, all games and software are still running on Windows 7 without any problems. If that changes - of course - i will need to move on...

Reactions: psprofi

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If Microsoft didn't have a monopoly over computers, I would've recommended a Linux distro since all your games probably would've been available. But for now just stick with 7 until 2020 when Microsoft drops support for it.

Strangely enough, quite a few new Steam games still support XP.

Reactions: Nightwish

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The "Should we say RIP windows 7 now?" - Thread made me think about my own PC. It's a nice little Slim-Gamer-PC i bought in 2015: AMD FX-4300 Quad Core Processor, 8 GB Ram, NVIDA G-Force GTX 750Ti and a Samsung 120 GB SSD as primary harddrive. Nothing really fancy, but good enough to play all games up-to-date with medium or even high graphic settings.

I'am not planning to invest in new hardware in the next 2-3 years. So i'am now asking myself, if it would be smart to update directly to Windows 10 or are there any benefits if i go for Windows 8? Will it spy less on me than Windows 10?

Opinions?

P.S.: I claim all so super funny "I-wouldn't-update-to-any-version-of-Windows"-replys..." for me. :teach:
I would get the free Windows 10 upgrade while you still can (still available for users of assistive technologies, but they don't check)
The reason why is that even if you end up not liking it you can easily rollback within 30 days, and once you've upgraded once, your PC is registered as having a valid Win10 license, so you can upgrade to Win10 again later even after the upgrade offer ends, or install it from scratch from the ISO.
There's stuff that will only work on Win10 such as DX12.
The thing people seem to hate the most in Win10 is the start menu. But it's highly configurable so it's easy to add shortcuts to all the things you would find on the Win7 start menu and more, and it's actually really good once you do that.

Reactions: jDSX and Kioku

Loke

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently updated my second computer from 7 to 10. I never thought I'd say this but win10 is probably the best windows I've ever used.
Win 7 was amazing, but it was especially amazing because it was after vista.. The telementry can be blocked with software if you want to and I always install classic shell.
I've noticed quite some stability improvements and smoother processing when upgrading from 7 to 10, but that might just be me. I doubt it though since win 7 always gave me troubles with drivers (like installing the network driver after fresh install).

If everything runs fine with win7, don't bother to upgrade. Even though it's an easy process, why tinker with it if there's no problem?

Reactions: KingBlank and Kioku

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what precisely to send the thanks for relieving the world of the MS office stranglehold but with that gone then for the most part I need a browser, of which firefox and its offshoots do well enough for me, and a media player (don't really care as long as it does the relevant formats).
To that end I have quite a few more options.
Equally Windows 7 can probably live on for a while longer in a restricted virtual machine if updates are a problem and VMs are now working fairly well with 3d cards, and I can see them almost certainly being as nice to use as USB is compared to its earlier days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.