if wii bricks...just wondering..

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stickybit, Feb 9, 2010.

Feb 9, 2010
  1. stickybit
    OP

Member stickybit GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hi guys my wii has priiloader and boot mii and a back up nand so hopefully
    im pretty safe if anything happens to my wii brick wise
    but i was wondering whats the procediur if it does brick?
    im assuming i load boot mii through priiloader and then restore my good nand then
    restart wii and everything is ok?

also how do i make sure my priiloader and bootmii are fully up to date versions?
    what are the most up to date versions?

2. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    It all depends.

Example, a bannerbrick. That can you easly fix by making priiloader boot HBC, start Wad Manager or ATD mod and delete the channel that causes the bannerbrick.

A fullbrick, its Bootmii (as boot2) and restore your nand backup. A full brick is for example, to delete your system IOS.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You have BootMii IOS only?
    In that case I wouldn't restore the NAND with it. Instead, use preloader to boot the HBC and undo your changes.

4. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    hmm so im not as safe as i thought?
    i though that was the general way to keep safe.. to have a nand backup and something to restore it with?? no?

i have bootmii but can only access it from homebrew ch thats why i installed priiloader as it can take me right to homebrew or bootmii
    just incase i cant get ther from wii system menu

i do have boot 2 but i dont think bootmii is my boot2

5. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok iv done a bit of reading on here and it seems i should have bootmii as boot 2
    now i know i got boot2 cos its on my sd card but how do i get bootmii as boot 2?
    and will it mess with priiloader etc?
    i think i only have bootmii as ios i can only access it from homebrew ch when i press home

6. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok update i dont actually have boot 2 on the sd card
    my error i used to have it

7. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Run the hackmii installer again to install it. In the installer, select Bootmii->Install Bootmii as Boot2.

If the installer says "Can only be installed as IOS", your wii is too new for bootmii as boot2.

8. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    thanks for the reply techboy
    will it cause trouble with priiloader?
    and can i get to the hackme options from homebrew ch?
    or do i need to use bannerbomb?

and what about the ios version will it overwright it or will i have both?

9. techboy

United States
    You can run the hackmii installer from homebrew channel like you would any other app.

Yes it works with priiloader.

You'll have both. It won't matter if you have both.

10. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok techboy..
    i got bootmii as boot 2 now i have it on a spare sd card iv just done a new nand with it so if i keep that sd card some where safe
    and just do a new nand now and then on it i should just be able to (if my wii bricks) put the sd card back in with the bootmii as boot2 and reinstall my nand
    and everything will be good? yes
    i decided to put it on a spare sd for safe keeping
    is ther anything else i need to know on this matter?

ps how will i know if im on the ios bootmii or the boot2 bootmii?

thanks

11. DSTTSTINKYCARD

Member DSTTSTINKYCARD GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    [quote
    ps how will i know if im on the ios bootmii or the boot2 bootmii?

thanks
    [/quote]

just like he said earlyer
    run the hackmii installer again and it will say in green what can and cant be installed
    if it says bootmii can be installed as boot 2 then it can
    just run through it again and repost what it says in green
    if it can only be installed as ios it will say it in purple
    post back to confirm mate

also the nand back up on the sd card should consist of "nand" "keys" "bootmii folder"
    copy these to your computer and then onto disc for safe keeping

12. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    it said i could have either i originally had bootmii as ios
    but just a few hrs ago i used hackmii and selected bootmii as boot2

now my wii goes directly to bootmii when i power on. now i cant get to priiloader from holding reset so i can only get to priiloader from hbc
    so is it pointless in having priiloader now?

13. techboy

United States
    Press RESET and release it. As soon as bootmii disappears, press and hold it again. It's difficult to time right, but I can do it on my wii.

If you want bootmii to automatically boot to your system menu when you turn your wii on, you can run this to change the settings: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii_Configuration_Editor. Set autoboot to "System Menu" and the delay to a few seconds (i use 2 personally).

The good news is that with bootmii as boot2, your wii is 99.99% brick proof. The only thing that could brick is the rare failure of an official boot2 update.

14. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You get to priiloader by holding reset after clicking the wii button in bootmii, not when you start your wii. Boot2 bootmii loads before priiloader. So if your wii goes into bootmii when you turn the wii on, that is boot2 bootmii.

Edit: the timing isn't that hard techboy, the reset button selects icons in bootmii so all you have to do is hit reset to select the system menu option from bootmii and then just keep it held down and you should get into priiloader.

Priiloader isn't pointless now as it still offers the system menu hacks like disabling disc update checks and such so you don't do any stupid updates that can potentially remove bootmii as well. Plus you can still have bootmii autoboot the system menu which would boot up priiloader which can be set to autoboot anything you want such as a usb loader if you use a usb drive.

Also the best solution to restoring a brick isn't always a NAND restore. It'd probably be the easiest thing to do, but keep in mind you would lose any progress on anything you have done since the time you made the backup. For this reason, if you want to use NAND restores to fix bricks, make a new NAND backup before you do anything even potentially dangerous.

15. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    cheers fellas iv sorted it by just removing bootmii from my main sd card with all my apps on (now that sd card boots to my system menu or priiloader if i hold reset)
    so i basically have a spare sd with just bootmii as boot 2 so if thers ever a problem (bricked wii)
    i can just insert my spare sd with bootmii/boot2 and backedup nand and reinstall my nand
    problem solved! yes?
    nice feeling of being 99.99% safe

is it necessary to have bootmii and priiloader on the same sd?
    ther basically the same

16. nabster92

United States
    No they are not the same and priiloader isn't on the SD card. Priiloader is fully installed on your system and doesn't need an SD card in the wii to boot to it. Bootmii installs in a section on 2 blocks of NAND in the boot2 sector which loads before priiloader is even considered at all. All that is installed there is code that says to look for the bootmii folder on your sd card and load that if it's there. So if there's no SD card or the bootmii folder is just renamed to something else even, bootmii will not load and the system menu will start as usual.

Nothing can mess up the boot2 installation of bootmii short of actually changing anything in boot2, which pretty much nothing can do but maybe an official update (Or explicitly uninstalling it in the hackmii installer for some retarded reason). Priiloader however will die if you mess up the system menu IOS that it is installed on.

Since you already have both of them installed, there's absolutely no reason to uninstall one of them. Bootmii will suffice for any brick priiloader can handle and more, but priiloader can also help prevent some stupid bricks from happening in the first place from something like an accidental update which could potentially kill bootmii as well. So it's in your best interest to keep priiloader and enable the useful hacks like blocking updates and such. It's also useful for autobooting .dol files as well if you want to as I said above.

And also, if you are intent on using a NAND backup to restore a brick in the case of one ever happening, you should periodically make new NAND backups so you don't lose everything you did in the time between and back them up to your pc.

17. stickybit
    OP

United Kingdom
    i see thanks
    well i just took the bootmii folder of my main sd so the wii doesnt look for it on boot
    but like i said i have a spare memcard set for bootmii
    just didnt like it always booting to bootmii and i know you can fiddle with it to change that but i didnt want to
    so as of now im 99% happy with my wii compatability the only thing else id like is the sdhc option but that was with 4.0 wasnt it?
    i may wait till dopios lets you put what ever system menu on you please as i love the ease of hackability of 3.2e

18. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    You can do system menu 3.2, 3.4, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 with dop-ios have used the 3.2, 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 update and works sweet if you have the correct IOS's and no stub's

19. nabster92

United States
    3.2 isn't really any more easily hackable as 4.2 or anything else at this point. You already have a cIOS, updating won't prevent anything from working. You would just have to reinstall priiloader due to the system menu change. And the pack in xzxero's guide has everything set up for you already to just throw on your sd card and do.