If we don't update our 3DS update for a while, will new games we buy force us to update it?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Nerozone, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Nerozone
    OP

Newcomer Nerozone Member

United States
    The question is on the title! It's probably been answered before in lots of topics, but I didn't find anything ^^"

I'm asking this because it happened on Wii. And since I intend to buy 1 or 2 3DS games this year (Pokémon X or Y and Harvest Moon New Beginning, once it comes to Europe), I'm thinking of buying Supercard, as it would be the safest choice so that when those games force my 3DS to update its firmware, I can keep using my flashcard.

EDIT: I made a mistake on the title. I meant "update our 3DS firmware", not "update our 3DS update".

2. Kiaku

Member Kiaku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yes, I believe so. Super Mario 3D Land tempted users with outdated firmware to update upon launching the game. I'm sure other games had the same thing.

3. nukeboy95

Member nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

United States
    by the time that happen we shud have anti update blockers

4. Sychophantom

Member Sychophantom I'm a plant.

United States
    Since there is no public hack, there's no reason not to update.

However, to answer your question, yes...certain games will prompt you to update your firmware before playing. I believe Paper Mario Sticker Star is one of those games.

5. drobb

Member drobb Hunter

United States
    that style savvy game made my aunts update when she got it.

6. Senbei Norimaki

Newcomer Senbei Norimaki Advanced Member

It all depends on which flashcart you have if you should update or not.

7. SickPuppy

Member SickPuppy New Member

United States
    I just bought NSMB2 a few weeks ago, and was prompted for an update. I did the update but it didn't update my firmware. My 3DS firmware is still 4.1.0-6U before and after the update.

8. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    That sounds fucked up. I wonder what was updated. I never got that prompt on SM3DL or NSMB2.

I personally just keep mine upto date if there's a DS game I want to play I just grab either my DSi or my sons DSL even tho I do have 3 SCDS2s.

9. Nerozone
    OP

Newcomer Nerozone Member

United States
    I suppose it's bound to happen if I don't update my firmware until October, then. Thanks a lot for your answers :lol:

10. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Im currently on 4.4.0-1 EU (something like that but its a 4.4.0 FW), should I still update my FW? Or should I stay on this?

11. kirbymaster101

Member kirbymaster101 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Questions like these depend on what flashcart you are using. If its one of those older C revision r4ids.cn cards, just wait it out till they release an update. If its a revision A,9 and the non metroid C cards you should be fine updating AFTER you update your r4ids.cn card. The Supercard Dstwo should be fine to as long as you update that 1st. Any other card is a hit and miss.

12. Twilight Loz

Member Twilight Loz GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have an acekard 2i... it currently works with my 3DS... but what I mean should I update since the hack that is in development might not work on console since I updated to the lastest FW

13. Chaossaturn

Member Chaossaturn ローレンス

United Kingdom
    I would update as we know that the hackers have there 3ds's on the lastest firmware which is 4.5.10 (as of writeing this) and when there release a hack that's what the program's will be written for, yes the exploit works on lower firmware's but we don't know if the programs there write will work for lower firmware versions and if there do not and there release the hack you wont be able to update to 4.5.10 as nintendo will update it quickly. So I would update to be on the safe side as it not worth the risk but if you do your flashcart wont work anymore so your have to get a new one or buy a DS or something.