If this is real its easily the best ps2 emulation that will be available on the switch

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

The reddit mods apparently have confirmed it is legit, although id still take it with a grain of salt.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if it’s real somehow I guess it’s good but for me personally I wouldn’t use it because I don’t really like on screen buttons and it seems I would need to boot to a different os and I never did that till this day. I like everything working from switch os.

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Well if it’s real somehow I guess it’s good but for me personally I wouldn’t use it because I don’t really like on screen buttons and it seems I would need to boot to a different os and I never did that till this day. I like everything working from switch os.
Fair enough, its kind of a requirement atm for enjoyable 64 emulation/gamecube though. The buttons will be something you can remove, this is still in closed beta apparently. But possibly opening before christmas if that reddit thread stays true.

Reactions: fst312

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fair enough, its kind of a requirement atm for enjoyable 64 emulation/gamecube though. The buttons will be something you can remove, this is still in closed beta apparently. But possibly opening before christmas if that reddit thread stays true.
Sorry to ask looking through the comments on reddit, are you sure this is meant for the switch, I don’t think anyone mentions that. I know switch has the android thing but reddit shows it’s for android emulation only, maybe I missed a comment that mentions switch.

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry to ask looking through the comments on reddit, are you sure this is meant for the switch, I don’t think anyone mentions that. I know switch has the android thing but reddit shows it’s for android emulation only, maybe I missed a comment that mentions switch.
Its on android its an apk meaning youl be able to run it on switchroot. The only things that arent really compatible are shield games, the only emulators to not work are older ones build for earlier phones.

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Snapdragon 845? seems to be recommended, so Switch CPU probably isn't up to this.
One of the kingdom hearts games gets 15-30 fps even on damonps2 1785oc. So although many games probly wont get full speed, your going to have some that will by the looks of things. Theirs also a the 2ghz oc patch that will help that is easily accessable. Even though the switch cpu is poor by 2022 standards the gpu is not bad. Should be interesting when the alpha releases to say the least.

Last edited by Basketto,

CloudStrife1901

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't see this running any good on switchroot. That thing can barely emulate gamecube never mind Ps2 🤷‍♂️

My Samsung galaxy s20 fe with snapdragon is a more viable option

Reactions: TatsuHun

Basketto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I wouldn't see this running any good on switchroot. That thing can barely emulate gamecube never mind Ps2 🤷‍♂️

Thats just not remotely true really. Sure you might need to disable vsync, edit a few things, but gc is pretty decent wii is poor, although a few games can run.
Dont get me wrong ps2 emulation is not going to be perfect, but the easier to emulate games with any luck may well run full speed. Which would be well beyond what I thought I would see on the switch in terms of ps2 emulation.

Last edited by Basketto,

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Believe it or not Gamecube was more powerful than PS2.

According to specs and benchmark performances, the GameCube is factually the more powerful machine because it comes with a 485 MHz processor in comparison to the 295 MHz processor that the PS2 has. This means that the GameCube is capable of performing faster and better than the PS2.

Although emulation for PS2 seems to be more complex and difficult because it's not just about power. So comparing the two when you're talking about emulating is actually moot.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's definitely real, I'm pretty sure it's the same as the one Taki Udon put a pretty awesome video of yesterday

It's also worth pointing out that he says that some of the weaker powered phones cpu's performed better than the better ones due to the way the FPS is set up. With that in mind I don't see there being a problem with the Switch's cpu but ofc we're a long way away from that, I'd imagine.

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
today I learned a new word. thanks!

Were you trying to be funny here because if so I'm about to make you look really dumb or did you really learn a new word? If so I'm glad you could learn a new word. Because it is a word I didn't misspell it or anything either.

moot
/mo͞ot/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty.
"whether they had been successful or not was a moot point"

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Believe it or not Gamecube was more powerful than PS2.

According to specs and benchmark performances, the GameCube is factually the more powerful machine because it comes with a 485 MHz processor in comparison to the 295 MHz processor that the PS2 has. This means that the GameCube is capable of performing faster and better than the PS2.

Although emulation for PS2 seems to be more complex and difficult because it's not just about power. So comparing the two when you're talking about emulating is actually moot.
There's more to CPU power than clock speed, depends how much is done per clock (I don't actually know which of those CPUs is better and if you say the benchmarks give the answer then so be it, but point stands). Also more to the console's overall power than the CPU, graphic chips play a large part.

Deleted member 568587

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This breaks it down better. The PS2 was the weakest of the 3 consoles that gen. It should have been, because it came out 1 and a half years before the other two. People assume that because Gamecube used small discs it was weaker than PS2 but it's not the case.

Sony PlayStation 2
Next, we plugged in the PS2. It's the console we've come to know and love, but the differences in image quality were obvious from the start.

"See, the reflections on the ice are much more blurry, and you don't see the ice chips flying," Anthony said.

Our testers also noted that the players' facial features were less sharp and the motion was sluggish compared to the Xbox. "You can't even tell if you're hitting the puck or not," Richard said. "It's just not as elaborate."

But, one thing everyone liked is the PlayStation 2's ability to play DVDs. The GameCube doesn't play movies, and to play DVDs on the Xbox you have to purchase a separate DVD Movie Playback Kit ($29), which unlocks this feature in the hardware.

Though the other consoles were clearly more powerful, the boys are still big fans of the PS2. Matthew said that of the three manufacturers, PlayStation offers the best games. "You can get almost anything you want, plus, I think the Xbox controller's too big. I think the PS2 controller is just right."

Nintendo GameCube
The GameCube is the smallest console by far--and its snazzy purple casing makes it stand out. As Richard put it, "It's the baby."

However, it's just as powerful, graphically, as the Xbox. "It would be stupid if it wasn't," Anthony said, "because it came out at the same time.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a5524/1278831/

Again though that does not mean PS2 emulation is easier than the other two. It's more complicated than that.

Last edited by Deleted member 568587,
Reactions: hippy dave

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This breaks it down better. The PS2 was the weakest of the 3 consoles that gen. It should have been, because it came out 1 and a half years before the other two. People assume that because Gamecube used small discs it was weaker than PS2 but it's not the case.

Sony PlayStation 2
Next, we plugged in the PS2. It's the console we've come to know and love, but the differences in image quality were obvious from the start.

"See, the reflections on the ice are much more blurry, and you don't see the ice chips flying," Anthony said.

Our testers also noted that the players' facial features were less sharp and the motion was sluggish compared to the Xbox. "You can't even tell if you're hitting the puck or not," Richard said. "It's just not as elaborate."

But, one thing everyone liked is the PlayStation 2's ability to play DVDs. The GameCube doesn't play movies, and to play DVDs on the Xbox you have to purchase a separate DVD Movie Playback Kit ($29), which unlocks this feature in the hardware.

Though the other consoles were clearly more powerful, the boys are still big fans of the PS2. Matthew said that of the three manufacturers, PlayStation offers the best games. "You can get almost anything you want, plus, I think the Xbox controller's too big. I think the PS2 controller is just right."

Nintendo GameCube
The GameCube is the smallest console by far--and its snazzy purple casing makes it stand out. As Richard put it, "It's the baby."

However, it's just as powerful, graphically, as the Xbox. "It would be stupid if it wasn't," Anthony said, "because it came out at the same time.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a5524/1278831/

Again though that does not mean PS2 emulation is easier than the other two. It's more complicated than that.
you could have easily just said PS2 is one of the hardest consoles to emulate due to its unique architecture

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction