If the Wii Shop Channel gets closed, will all the games downloaded from there stop working?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by EddieEddie90, Dec 28, 2018.

1. EddieEddie90
    OP

EddieEddie90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2016
    Mexico
    I know this is kind of a dumb question, with wad manager existing and dozens of wad files dumped over the years the nintendo wii has been active, it's probably not likely, but then again I'm curious

2. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    Get NUS downloader and start backuping

EddieEddie90 likes this.
  3. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    No, they won't.
    With things like archives and things like Wiimmfi, the games will still work. Even games without WFC will still work. The only thing that worries me is that Nintendo may shut down their other servers, like update servers, making NUS useless.

EddieEddie90 likes this.
  4. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    1. Stupid choice of tool for backing up the CDN
    2. Everything (that wasn't removed from the CDN) is already backed up. It could be useful to verify that data by downloading it again, but not by using NUS Downloader.

Last edited by Hiccup, Dec 29, 2018
  5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Everything will still work, you just won't be able to re-download purchased games.

6. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    I don't NUS Download, so whatever.

And where are those backups?

7. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    Much of the data can be recreated using WADs and the "Wii (Digital) (CDN)" dat from No-Intro. Some of the data can't be and that data isn't public yet shared yet but soon will be, I believe.

8. warmo161

warmo161 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    United Kingdom
    A house
    I was wondering, I thought everything downloaded using NUS was locked and could only be decrypted on a Wii console? I attemped to download the old Warioware DIY application and found out it couldnt work without a key or somthing
    Is this still the case?

CoolStarDood likes this.
  9. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Titles are encrypted with a titlekey, which is supplied through the ticket*, which is not publicly available from Nintendo (unless you are using a console which is known, server side, to own that title...)

* the titlekey in the ticket is in turn encrypted with 1 of 3 common keys: the usual ebe4... one, the Korean exclusive one, or the Vwii exclusive one; but those are known

If you were to make a mod of NUSD accepting titlekeys from local tickets (or other format), you could use its existing download and decrypt features on "commercial" digital titles