Hacking Discussion If only 1 joycon is updated, switch won't show up as APX or be detected by android payload launchers

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sent my left joycon to Nintendo for repair due to stick drift. I finally got it back today, and went to boot CFW and play like I normally do.

I normally use my android to send payloads, but it wouldn't recognize the switch as being in RCM, I try my PC, same thing. No RCM, and it shows up as Nintendo switch instead of APX. So I start going crazy, checking SD card, jig, cable, phone, usb ports, payloads, drivers, literally going through everything trying to figure out what was up.

It turns out, Nintendo updated my left joycon while it was being repaired. (never even thought about checking that :/)
I updated the right joycon, powered off, put in the jig, and it booted into RCM. I wasn't able to find anyone on here or anywhere who has had this happen to them, so I thought I'd post just in case someone is stuck like I was.

Also, is anyone able to explain why this would happen?

Added info: Switch is on 6.1.0, No mods to joycons, I have an Ebay jig.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,
Reactions: GaaraPrime

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't imagine that could be the cause of your trouble. Not being rude or anything but you can still rcm without controllers at all. Just the tablet .
Yeah, I know that, never said you needed the controllers plugged in. It was in RCM, but the switch was not showing as APX, until after I updated the right joycon. I went through everything possible, that was the last thing I tried, and it worked.

D

Deleted-458569

I sent my left joycon to Nintendo for repair due to stick drift. I finally got it back today, and went to boot CFW and play like I normally do.

I normally use my android to send payloads, but it wouldn't recognize the switch as being in RCM, I try my PC, same thing. No RCM, and it shows up as Nintendo switch instead of APX. So I start going crazy, checking SD card, jig, cable, phone, usb ports, payloads, drivers, literally going through everything trying to figure out what was up.

It turns out, Nintendo updated my left joycon while it was being repaired. (never even thought about checking that :/)
I updated the right joycon, powered off, put in the jig, and it booted into RCM. I wasn't able to find anyone on here or anywhere who has had this happen to them, so I thought I'd post just in case someone is stuck like I was.

I had the same exact issue last night, literally exact same issue, I only had 1 joycon up to date, wouldnt accept payload. Updated other joycon, it worked. Thank you!!! :)
I can't imagine that could be the cause of your trouble. Not being rude or anything but you can still rcm without controllers at all. Just the tablet .
where did he say he needs controllers attached? You wouldnt be able to even have the right joycon attached?

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Www .fastcompany. com/3030529/hilarious-graphs-prove-that-correlation-isnt-causation
Hilarious Graphs Prove That Correlation Isn't Causation

Correlation isn't causation.
Understandable. I'd get why people think I'm wrong, I'll do some testing with my other switch and try to recreate the issue and provide some video proof :)

It's kind of like the whole crash after opening games or the album ~32 times on any CFW will crash the switch. Everyone thought I was crazy saying that MONTHS ago. Now there's a Reddit post about it that's gaining a little traction. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

Last edited by Illuminaticy,

Tripa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well seriously now, one possible explanation would have to be that the switch stores the joy con firmware exactly at the place that windows uses to identify the device, thus changing how it's detected.
That of course is very unlikely and these things don't work that way.
Anyways, the good thing is that it became detected again!

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well seriously now, one possible explanation would have to be that the switch stores the joy con firmware exactly at the place that windows uses to identify the device, thus changing how it's detected.
That of course is very unlikely and these things don't work that way.
Anyways, the good thing is that it became detected again!
Changes the way Windows, Galaxy note 8, and Galaxy s8 detect it. Yes, glad it's working. Doing some testing in a few so we will see what exactly is going on.

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

How can this even be possible?

I think you are mistaken mate. Joycon firmware has bugger all to do with entering RCM. Unless Ninty has started making magic joycons that can reprogram your Tegra with new iPatches.

Sure your pins aren`t fubar?

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can this even be possible?

I think you are mistaken mate. Joycon firmware has bugger all to do with entering RCM. Unless Ninty has started making magic joycons that can reprogram your Tegra with new iPatches.

Sure your pins aren`t fubar?
I know it sounds retarded, trust me if this didn't happen to me I'd think it was the dumbest thing I've heard. Pins are fine. I'ts booted like it should 100% of the time since this happened. One thing I did just remember is, my joycon would have the light on like it was connected to the switch, which normally doesn't happen in RCM. But it was a black screen, and had to be force shutoff for it to boot OFW, as if it were in RCM.

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it sounds retarded, trust me if this didn't happen to me I'd think it was the dumbest thing I've heard. Pins are fine. I'ts booted like it should 100% of the time since this happened. One thing I did just remember is, my joycon would have the light on like it was connected to the switch, which normally doesn't happen in RCM. But it was a black screen, and had to be force shutoff for it to boot OFW, as if it were in RCM.
No, I`m not calling you dumb or retarded or anything. Apologies if you thought I was!

I just think it has to be co-incidence. I`d say it was a failed boot. The payload was pushed and hw init`d but something happened in the boot process to stop it. More than likely an SD issue.

My guess anyway.

Reactions: peteruk

Illuminaticy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't think you were calling me dumb, I meant my post is bizarre and if I saw it randomly, I would think the person was just dumb and had some stupid issue. I tried 3 different cards, all I know work on switch, had the same results. I'm starting to think it was just coincidence, it's just driving me crazy that updating the other joycon did the trick.

mattytrog

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't think you were calling me dumb, I meant my post is bizarre and if I saw it randomly, I would think the person was just dumb and had some stupid issue. I tried 3 different cards, all I know work on switch, had the same results. I'm starting to think it was just coincidence, it's just driving me crazy that updating the other joycon did the trick.
Indeed strange.

I think the only thing that we can take from this is that Nintendo use different manufacturers for similar parts, or there are different tolerances / component values used further down the chain.

Im pleased it is working for you anyway.

Reactions: Illuminaticy

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have joycons detached from my switch tablet and I am able to send my payload fine. try remove your joycon from your tablet.

Boydy86

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it strange that shorting pins to simulate a non existing home button is whats needed to enter RCM, I bet Nintendo can do something with that right JoyCon to make it short necessary pins, maybe something to do with IR module at bottom... Or maybe changing serial to like FF FF FF etc. (Similar to Pandora technique on PSP.).

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I find it strange that shorting pins to simulate a non existing home button is whats needed to enter RCM,

It's kinda strange that Nvidia designed the Tegra assuming that everything would have a home button, Nintendo then went for the cheapest option and ran it to one of the joycon pins. Having serial ports on both joycon rails is what I find strange.

I bet Nintendo can do something with that right JoyCon to make it short necessary pins, maybe something to do with IR module at bottom... Or maybe changing serial to like FF FF FF etc. (Similar to Pandora technique on PSP.).

There is no point, Nintendo can just use a similar jig to us.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.