If one were to have enough money, could one commision celuloid animation in current times?

• Thread starter Azerus_Kun
  • Start date
  • Views 575
  • Replies 2
A

Azerus_Kun

i ask because i want to know if there still exist studios (doesnt matter if they are American, Japanese or from any other country) with the equipment and capable personel to do such a thing, or if there arent enough people capable and/or the equipment has been gone for a while

Solution
With enough money you could recreate the machines and such used to make them. Thinking about it then it might even be the cheaper part of the animation project as a whole. The animation process itself is not hard (you imprint aspects of the animation on celluloid and take pictures of a stack of them and then another moved a bit and then another after a bit more movement, more movement and background elements, more annoyances to keep track of) but it is tedious. If it has been gone for a while I don't know whether you could go drag someone out of a nursing home, or maybe there might be a guy in a museum or university somewhere (I was watching a TV show a while back and some guy that worked for a library I think it was was shown doing...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With enough money you could recreate the machines and such used to make them. Thinking about it then it might even be the cheaper part of the animation project as a whole. The animation process itself is not hard (you imprint aspects of the animation on celluloid and take pictures of a stack of them and then another moved a bit and then another after a bit more movement, more movement and background elements, more annoyances to keep track of) but it is tedious. If it has been gone for a while I don't know whether you could go drag someone out of a nursing home, or maybe there might be a guy in a museum or university somewhere (I was watching a TV show a while back and some guy that worked for a library I think it was was shown doing wood carving image printing like you might get for plates in old books so there is that).

Anyway I don't know about creation. There are usually a few places around that can transfer old films so that is probably a chunk of it.
Some measure of film was still around and being created in 2014 according to https://www.hurlbutacademy.com/film/ though how close it falls to celluloid is a different matter.

Solution

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Nowadays Animation is being made with specialized software.
Hardware on the other hand...

If we could add the attribute of "hardware" to machines used in the process of animation (1930's to 1980's) I don't think you'll be able to find it unless you go to a dedicated museum I think.

About production, you have guys on Youtube like Aaron Blaise whom was a traditional Disney Studios animator. I personally, follow this guy on youtube because his caricature lessons.
You could probably buy a cell from him as he's shown on videos rough sketches and random celluloid scenes from movies he worked on in the 90s.

About production... I wonder how good your drawing skills are, then, if good, you could probably draw a scene on celluloid with ink, gouache and other greasy materials.
It might not be the best thing but it'd be something you made and it'll be a cool story for your children.

Of course, I'm joking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China