If Nintendo releases that perfect fw

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kenenthk, Jul 4, 2013.

1. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I was wondering as to what may happen if Nintendo one day does release a update that blocks every single r4 card out there. I wonder if 3ds consoles are going to be hunted down with specific firmwares on them so they can play roms on it. Like It'll be PS3s 3.55 firmware all over again.

2. Scope92

Scope92 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2008
    United States
    But unlike the 3DS, you can downgrade the PS3. And the so called "perfect" firmware has to be updated sooner or later which could lead to new exploits and security holes. Also i'm pretty sure they did release firmwares that did block most if not all flashcarts at one point. But of course that was short lived because the flashcarts either get updated or newer hardware is made. I don't think they will ever make a prefect firmware.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Possibly and in the short term yeah exploitable consoles will probably gain something of a premium.... or people could just buy a DS. That said I can not recall an instance in the past where people were so hell bent on using backwards compatibility to run code and face updates at the same time so that could be interesting.
    Though at present hardware level mods have not really been explored and that is what usually happens in situations where things were blocked.

4. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    What's the point of this thread? they could do it, they might have done it. It's not called 'R4' it's called flashcard, R4's are a specific card. :P

But yes people might hunt down 3DS's with a certain firmware. But trust me, DSTWO will still be there. And hey it's only NDS support >_< If it was a mayor exploit in the firmware then yeah, I could understand it.

5. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Whats the point in anything, it's called having discussion. :P

We never know what could happen is what I'm saying it's possible for any company to release a fw capable of blocking out back ups.

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    they will never admit it publicly, flash kits and pirating sells hardware. i don't think they will ever block it completely, they will only keep it under control.

-another world

7. Ron

Ron somehow a weeb now.

Dec 10, 2009
    Canada
    here

Nintendo sells the 3DS at a loss, sales of games are what make up and profit from it. It may have been true back when the DS was sold at a profit, but not with the 3DS.

8. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague

The almighty and ultra super duper supercard time has found a way around till now. I have high expectations! Long live the discussions! :3

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    The system will get hacked eventually.
    It's pretty much unavoidable.

PS3 was unhacked cause it already ran Linux.
    As soon as they removed OtherOS, the system got hacked in a year.

Piracy promotes sales indeed.
    And as far as early models go, they have more hardware vulnerabilities and (if possible) can be downgraded to a lower FW.

10. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    PS3 gets blocked: No other way to play PS3 ISOs. Need a specific system.

3DS gets blocked: Buy a DS, DS Lite, DSi, or DSi XL. Don't get blocked again.