If Nintendo can't beat us, they should join us

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by notnarb, Aug 19, 2007.

Aug 19, 2007
  1. notnarb
    OP

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

*this post is made under the asumation that nintendo actually attacked the r4 plant*

Instead of trying to stop piracy by attacking companies that make storage software for ds, they should go straight to the source and just attack rom distributing websites, where the real illegality happens. Then they could actually make use of those game codes that you register in at nintendo power for ooooo wallpapers and screen savers and allow people to DL the roms for the games they have registered to as well as VC games (doable with a wii update probably) purchaced. Then all they would have to do would be putting up DS games for download (getting rid of the need to import) and setting up a system similar to itunes (3ish DLs per rom per account and some sort of format similar to mp4 for .nds that tracks the internal seriel number and allows play only on a ds registered by you)

I'm planning on posting a revised version on that on nintendo power so any suggestions would be appreciated

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I'm assuming most ROM sites have been tackled already, with the exception of those with the disclaimers and the "do not download unless you own these, or delete within 24 hours" (which 99% of people do not follow), which I am assuming is legally acceptable.

A system like the iTunes store may work, but they're probably getting more money selling 1 legit copy than a few for a low price.

Of course it could increase sales, but then they'd be confronted with issues like how to store the games, etc.

3. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Is it even legal to have them for 24 hours?

4. 4saken

Australia
    That's what they're saying [​IMG]

Most of these laws are in the US, so maybe there it is.

5. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    No one can stop every single file sharing method. And really you can't stop the scene.
    I mean sure that kind of system's a good idea in theory, but it's not happening. It's easier for Nintendo to go after the people making or selling the illegal devices.
    Read this page:
    http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp
    Basically if you have a NES emulator then Nintendo wants to prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

6. notnarb
    OP

I believe nes emulators are legal as the patent on the nes died like 2-3 years ago [​IMG]

edit: Gameinformer posted this in an issue that also listed some new 3rd party nes systems with added stuff like wireless controllers

7. HeatMan Advance

Member HeatMan Advance GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't know for sure, but I doubt that. Considering the VC and the fact that it has an NES emulator among other things.

I also think it would be better for Nintendo to go after ROM sites. In the past they had successfully stopped some ROM sites from hosting Nintendo games.

My only guess is that Nintendo just hasn't found some of these current sites.

Seeing how ISP are being tracked more and more these days it'll only be a matter of time before getting illegal material over the 'net is too much of a hassle to be bothered with.

The iTunes suggestion 4saken made will most likely be their answer.

8. nephdj

Member nephdj GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Nintendo doesnt attack ROM sites, they only send letters

Its a totally different company that sue's ROM sites, which nintendo supports (MS n Sony do also)

9. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    they should sell roms like they do with the VC. what nintendo should do is sell one peice of hardware for the storage of roms i.e the flashcard. each with its own personal secure ID number on it. then all you have to do is plug that into the computer and downoad roms to it. you Id is written in along with the rom so that it only plays on that one peice of hardware. but you can copy it onto you computer for storage etc. that way games would be cheaper to buy cause your not having to make the hardware for it.
    and if you tinker with the rom it breaks it.

they havent been able to hack the VC games so i think this would be a better option

10. notnarb
    OP

but it'd be nice if it just used the internal seriel number so it could be played with an r4 etc with a firmware update

11. 4saken

Australia
    Wow you really like the R4 don't you.

You wouldn't need an R4 if the system delta123 suggested would actually be used

EDIT: Spelled the name wrong [​IMG]

12. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Nope the 24 hour rule is fake, but it spread as fact to the point where most ROM sites said it.
    ROM images in themselves aren't a legal backup, because its not a 1:1 backup only a backup of the data contained within.
    A legal backup of a cartridge based game is another original copy of that game.

13. notnarb
    OP

I really would like not having to spend an extra 50+ dollars on a flash cart that won't be as good as an r4 :]

14. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    maybe their next handheld system will utilize this. hopefully.

15. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    thats like the police saying
    "well we cant stop all these murderers so lets all go kill people"

16. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Rom websites are only one method of how roms get shared, going after them will achieve next-to-nothing.

17. loathsome

Member loathsome GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I never get ROMS from websites anyway.

18. loathsome

Member loathsome GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    lol, Dirtie: Your sig scared the FUCK out of me [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    The thing is that Nintendo have done something similar to this years back in Japan when they used to sell blank Famicom Disk System diskettes and store owners had a kiosk machine on which the customer could download a game onto the blank diskette for a small fee. Well it didn't work, and piracy on the system became widespread.

A good few years later they tried exactly the same thing again in Japan for the GBC, if I recall the cartridge cost about $25 and the games cost about $15 to download.

And in more recent times Nintendo have attempted the same thing on the ique (aka Nintendo's N64/SNES/NES portable console for China). The machine had a 64MB flash card and users could download games for the card at a kiosk in store (for about $6 a game), and apparently there were plans to offer an online service, but I don't know if this ever happened.

The problems one could encounter having an itunes sytle download system are more than just that of piracy however, for example retailers certainly won't like the idea and could revolt from carrying other NIntendo products. But on the other hand it would greatly benefit Nintendo in some areas e.g. there would be no second hand market. I would like to see Nintendo try it out. [​IMG]

20. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    True, but it would prevent alot of noobs who don't know hoe to use anything other than firect downloads [​IMG]