Hardware If my 3ds is PAL i can play games from USA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is no PAL and NTSC for handhelds o.o

But no, you cant play european games on US system or the other way around.
You can however play European games on Australian system because they are the same.(Australian games work on european system aswell).

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The 3DS does not use television standards such as PAL or NTSC.
PAL is also being used in areas like South America, Asia, etc. etc.

800px-PAL-NTSC-SECAM.svg.png

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Tanveer said:

You can however play European games on Australian system because they are the same.(Australian games work on european system aswell).
Uh Sir, generally, EU Systems are labelled as PAL while US Systems are stamped with an NTSC wording. Atleast here this happens.
rolleyes.gif

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
SamAsh07 said:
Tanveer said:

Uh Sir, generally, EU Systems are labelled as PAL while US Systems are stamped with an NTSC wording. Atleast here this happens.
rolleyes.gif
Because handhelds are not shown through an analogue TV, they are technically neither PAL nor NTSC. However when sold via an international site it is easier to class them as one of these than to put "US region locked", as many people know one region's goods won't work in another.

The region lock on the 3DS is a confusing one. Sony tried with the PSP, but games companies just didn't bother encoding the region locking into the UMD's (in the same way you can buy region 0 DVD's) and presumably did well out of import sales of hard to get titles. Likewise the DS- Pokemon games in particular must have made a lot of yen from importers in the UK and US. Why Nintendo have chosen to region lock this system is beyond me.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My guess is that by region locking the 3DS, it adds to the anti-piracy. The side-effect is that it will inevitably hurt sales by preventing people from importing.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Rayder said:
My guess is that by region locking the 3DS, it adds to the anti-piracy. The side-effect is that it will inevitably hurt sales by preventing people from importing.
This was my secondary thought too, though maybe (just maybe) it is also to get a truly accurate idea of what sells most in which area

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Weaselpipe said:
Rayder said:
This was my secondary thought too, though maybe (just maybe) it is also to get a truly accurate idea of what sells most in which area

People who want to play games first would have bought a 3DS from each region and import games from whichever country releases them first. Their sales figures would not be 100% accurate.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
spinal_cord said:
Weaselpipe said:
Rayder said:

People who want to play games first would have bought a 3DS from each region and import games from whichever country releases them first. Their sales figures would not be 100% accurate.
The amount of people complaining of the price of just one 3DS for the past few months I doubt anyone would! Though I am a little annoyed I didn't do that!

shareyou

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rayder said:

The region lock has nothing to do with piracy, it has everything to do with keeping sales in the same region.

If there was no region lock Nintendo Australia/ Nintendo Europe/ ect would LOSE sales to cheaper imports from the United States. Cheaper 3DS games and cheaper 3DS sales console. ($160 for 3DS U.S.A. vs $260 for 3DS here in Australia).

This is probably another reason why the 3DS isn't meeting Nintendo sales targets. There is an increase of informed consumers and people tend to not like the feeling of getting ripped off when they see the 3DS price here versus the United States.

Most of the replies to this topic is right, there is no PAL/ NTSC for hand held consoles because it is a old T.V. standard therefore they don't really have a justification for following the PAL/ NTSC region locking.

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The whole Region lock thing confuses me..

The Acekard 2i and other Flashcarts that work on the DS, what region are they? If I have a 3DS in England, and I order an AK2i from Hong Kong, why would it work? And also, if I use NTSC games and PAL games on the flashcart, why would they work, again?

qaz00

ORG 0x0
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Satirical said:

The Acekard 2i and other Flashcarts that work on the DS, what region are they? If I have a 3DS in England, and I order an AK2i from Hong Kong, why would it work? And also, if I use NTSC games and PAL games on the flashcart, why would they work, again?

Because all flashcarts are (original) DS cartridges and can only play original DS games. The region lock only applies to 3DS cartridges.

Satirical

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
qaz00 said:
Satirical said:

Because all flashcarts are (original) DS cartridges and can only play original DS games. The region lock only applies to 3DS cartridges.

Ahhh that makes a lot more sense, thanks. It's going to be tricky if they bring out a 3DS cart then, all region locked and whatnot :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Oh? What did you take to get Hi? :angry: