Hardware If money was no object - 8700K upgrade to 9700K

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ignoring the cost, should I upgrade from 8700K to 9700K cpu.

It has more cores but no hyperthreading I believe.

I game occasionally, mainly video editing.

Thanks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ray striker, this is the kind of answer I didn’t want :)

Ok I’ll rephrase: I already have both cpu’s, which one is better for my purposes of video editing and occasional gaming?

I only want opinions on 8700K or 9700K please :)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just do a quick google search for these things: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4030vs3937

8700k has 6 cores with 2 threads for each (meaning tasks that alternate the use of cores take faster such as multiple small encodings). Threads aren't processors, they are more like a function that lines up the next task for each processor to speed up the loading when the task it's doing finishes. If you split workload into just 6 tasks (eg: 6 video encodings at a time), you are almost never gonna use this. On the other hand, 9700k has 8 cores with a single thread for each (meaning no lining up tasks), so it gets more multi-core processing power (eg: 8 heavy tasks at once but takes slightly longer to move to next tasks since they aren't queued). Overall in power though 9700k is better for anything that doesn't involve multiple small tasks (eg: 200+ encodings at a time) with a general 4-8% more processing capabilities so I suggest using the one that suits your work best, for many small tasks keep 8700k otherwise upgrade.

Last edited by ThoD,

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you do editing, I would just get a Ryzen cpu (but that would require a new MB and new other things depending on what you have) but if we are going on “money was no object” I would try a Ryzen thread ripper build. But I see you want to stay with intel.... so :P

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just do a quick google search for these things: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4030vs3937

8700k has 6 cores with 2 threads for each (meaning tasks that alternate the use of cores take faster such as multiple small encodings). Threads aren't processors, they are more like a function that lines up the next tast for each processor to speed up the loading when the task it's doing finishes. If you split workload into just 6 tasks (eg: 6 video encodings at a time), you are almost never gonna use this. On the other hand, 9700k has 8 cores with a single thread for each (meaning no lining up tasks), so it gets more multi-core processing power (eg: 8 heavy tasks at once but takes slightly longer to move to next tasks since they aren't queued). Overall in power though 9700k is better for anything that doesn't involve multiple small tasks (eg: 200+ encodings at a time) with a general 4-8% more processing capabilities so I suggest using the one that suits your work best, for many small tasks keep 8700k otherwise upgrade.

Hi ThoD, I did google that same link, but I prefer your explanation :)

You wouldn't benefit much going from 8700K to 9700K, as there is no improvement in thread, you should go with 9900K.

It's between 8700K and 9700K only as I already have them..

If you do editing, I would just get a Ryzen cpu (but that would require a new MB and new other things depending on what you have) but if we are going on “money was no object” I would try a Ryzen thread ripper build. But I see you want to stay with intel.... so :P

Yep I need to stay with Intel, I already have Asus Maximus X Formula and ram kits etc.. to match. The PC is up and running already with the 8700K and waterblocks etc..

But I now have a 9700K I could install (for another build). But I could fit it in my build if it was worth it.

It will only cost me the time to clean up the thermal paste and reapplying.

Still not sure :unsure:
First world problems or what :)

Reactions: Owenge

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi ThoD, I did google that same link, but I prefer your explanation :)

It's between 8700K and 9700K only as I already have them..

Yep I need to stay with Intel, I already have Asus Maximus X Formula and ram kits etc.. to match. The PC is up and running already with the 8700K and waterblocks etc..

But I now have a 9700K I could install (for another build). But I could fit it in my build if it was worth it.

It will only cost me the time to clean up the thermal paste and reapplying.

Still not sure :unsure:
First world problems or what :)

Since you says you edit, you wanna stick with the 8700k then, since it has more threads.

Reactions: 877

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How many "Lakes" is Intel going to name? Now coming up in 2020, Intel Ricky Lake.

Tiger Lake is next, then Saphire Rapids. Ice Lake is 2019/2020, no idea if they are going to string the release schedule out or whether it will stay current for that length of time or what.

Ice Lake mops up Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Cannon Lake & Cooper Lake. Intel have kinda had some issues lately. Cannon Lake was all but cancelled, they only managed to ship one CPU as they couldn't get yields up on their new process. Desktop CPU progress seems to have stalled a bit. So hopefully Ice Lake will fix all the issues, I'm sure they are hoping it will.

Last edited by smf,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tiger Lake is next, then Saphire Rapids.

Ice Lake mops up Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake, Cannon Lake & Cooper Lake. Intel have kinda had some issues lately. Cannon Lake was all but cancelled, they only managed to ship one CPU as they couldn't get yields up on their new process. Desktop CPU progress seems to have stalled a bit. So hopefully Ice Lake will fix all the issues, I'm sure they are hoping it will.

I was being facetious, names are weird, and make just as much sense as NVidia's naming order. It's a damn shame many of the Lake series of CPUs all but forces people to use Windows 10 :lol:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Hello @realtimesave.