• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

If mass shootings happen or just some horrific act.. blame games and anime.

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 4,877
  • Replies 69
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
That's at least what politicians do and they get away with it because they know the older generation (Baby Boomers) will agree with them as they too think video games are the cause of violence, and anime too. Oh, and saying "he had mental problems" is just another b.s. excuse they use, the shooters aren't mentally ill instead they're easily influenced with false information (i.e. they're morons who think they're doing the world a favor).

Also, if politicians blame games then they should also aim at shows and movies.

An example:

Who would have thought a pen would be so deadly. Loved this show but the ending was really.. not gonna say it so I don't spoil if anyone plans on watching it.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, I agree. If you're going to blame those super scawy violent video games, then you should blame those senseless violent movies and TV shows too!

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I have no idea why they are still blaming videogames for this stuff. I thought it was a joke when I read it.

The real problem is amplified extremeism resulting from artificial echo chambers created by major tech companies successfully implementing recommendation engines to the point that it only shows people exactly what they want to hear. Gone are the days of getting generic search results/news articles that force you to acknowledge alternate opinions. Now it's just everything you agree with all the time. Down the rabbit hole we go!

No idea on how to fix that, though.

Last edited by PityOnU,

bodefuceta

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You live in a democracy and free speech is a thing. Politicians can say whatever they want (with very few exceptions). If it gets them votes, it's fair game to them. It doesn't matter what the facts are, just what the voters think. Complaining here changes nothing. You're mad but don't even understand the game, you are pathetic.

Mass shooters are easily influenced? How presumptuous of you. Maybe it's you who's easily influenced because not shooting people is the kind of stuff that's said everywhere. They actually try to change something and you just keep being pathetic at a video game forum.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't too long ago that music was blamed for contributing to riots and influencing violent behavior. Now that the argument has run its course over music being evil, politicians have turned their eyes to video games, because they can still make people believe that yes, it's video games causing all the problems in the world. And it'll continue being a scapegoat until the older generations either stop actually thinking such a thing, or that people find something new to blame.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You live in a democracy and free speech is a thing. Politicians can say whatever they want (with very few exceptions). If it gets them votes, it's fair game to them. It doesn't matter what the facts are, just what the voters think. Complaining here changes nothing. You're mad but don't even understand the game, you are pathetic.

Mass shooters are easily influenced? How presumptuous of you. Maybe it's you who's easily influenced because not shooting people is the kind of stuff that's said everywhere. They actually try to change something and you just keep being pathetic at a video game forum.

That's a YIKES from me, bro

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I have no idea why they are still blaming videogames for this stuff. I thought it was a joke when I read it.
It's simply the most convenient scapegoat for Republicans because they know they aren't actually going to do anything about mental illness, and the video game industry doesn't have lobbyists who give them millions of dollars annually like the NRA does. Blaming shootings on video games is basically the same as offering "thoughts and prayers," they know it accomplishes nothing but it still makes ignorant voters feel better.

Reactions: IncredulousP

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't too long ago that music was blamed for contributing to riots and influencing violent behavior. Now that the argument has run its course over music being evil, politicians have turned their eyes to video games, because they can still make people believe that yes, it's video games causing all the problems in the world. And it'll continue being a scapegoat until the older generations either stop actually thinking such a thing, or that people find something new to blame.
your point is sound but this bullshit has been pushed since the 90's. its not a this is new and "now" issue.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
your point is be sound but this bullshit has been pushed since the 90's. its not a this is new and "now" issue.
Huh? That's what I'm saying, though? Rather than politicians and officials saying music influenced the riots of the early 90s (rodney king) or NWA's songs caused people to rebel against the police, now they're saying video games resulted in the mass shootings we're seeing today. It's the same song and dance, but with a different title.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh? That's what I'm saying, though? Rather than politicians and officials saying music influenced the riots of the early 90s (rodney king) or NWA's songs caused people to rebel against the police, now they're saying video games resulted in the mass shootings we're seeing today. It's the same song and dance, but with a different title.
what i mean is they have been blaming violent video games for this shit since the 90's. Not just music. Your youth is showing :P
anything that the young whipersnappers like must be turning them EVILLLLLLL.

90's? Something similar probably happens since ancient Athens. Looks like you just have bad memory or was born too recently and didn't look into the past.
what i meant is blaming of the medium. scapegoating is as old as fucking time, dont be obtuse :P.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

That’s a George Carlin complaint, he blames people being distracted by smart phones, video games and bright and shiny things for the reason why people don’t band together and do anything and change this country. Instead they just let politicians run them over.

Erm... Guys?

The source on this is Donald Trump. The guy would tell people the earth was flat if it deflected attention from his own actions. It's not like he's suddenly credible now he's attacking or hobby.
I saw people complaining about Democrats making up stuff but it’s kinda weird when it’s on video of him saying it, what more evidence do they want?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is anime being blamed this time? I did a token search of a news feed and did not get back anything.

The only thing I have previously seen Japanese cartoons being blamed for was the 80s and 90s for killing domestic cartoons and being part of the Japan takeover when they were doing well, having all the tech, somewhat supplanting US efforts on a lot of fronts and so forth.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm... Guys?

The source on this is Donald Trump. The guy would tell people the earth was flat if it deflected attention from his own actions. It's not like he's suddenly credible now he's attacking or hobby.

It's not a Trump exclusive though. As VP, in 2013 Biden called for federal research into video game violence as being related to real-world violence (after it was learned Adam Lanza was a CoD nut). He convened at least one meeting with video game industry reps to have them answer for his concerns and discuss possible changes.

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Gamers are too afraid to harm a butterfly, and yet they blame games for mass shootings?
From my experience, gamers are kind hearted people who won't harm anyone, while girls who play barbie are crazy psychopaths.

Got my point.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
It's not a Trump exclusive though.
No shit, Sherlock. All sorts of politicians have tauted it for years. Politicians with any credibility. Yet video games haven't changed. So I'm sure we can safely weather the incoherent ramblings of a grump whose own employees have to protect him from doing to much damage.
... Or do you think that this thread is about what Biden said years ago? Because in that case, I've got to disappoint you : this time it's Donald Trump doing the 'video games are evil' spiel,and that is causing this thread.

Reactions: Fates-Blade-900

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its corrupted politics, alienating/ridicule a specific race, bullying, long term depression from unstable family history. And of course the mental illness card.
All of these things play a huge role in shootings they only want to blame video games b/c it happens to be a young adult and don't want to take responsibility of gun control.
Our President is a coward at best. If ppl are blaming anime... then our country needs serious help since Family Guy or American Dad is ok...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...