• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

If mass shootings happen or just some horrific act.. blame games and anime.

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 4,884
  • Replies 69

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No shit, Sherlock. All sorts of politicians have tauted it for years. Politicians with any credibility. Yet video games haven't changed. So I'm sure we can safely weather the incoherent ramblings of a grump whose own employees have to protect him from doing to much damage.
... Or do you think that this thread is about what Biden said years ago? Because in that case, I've got to disappoint you : this time it's Donald Trump doing the 'video games are evil' spiel,and that is causing this thread.

Are you this irritable/disagreeable IRL? Cuz I wasn't saying you were wrong, just saying this ain't nothing new.

D

Deleted User

OP
Why don't we blame the news which is one of the most violent TV stations?

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One: Politicians are an idiots people who never played the video games and they might don't have time to watch tv and movies.

Second: Games, TV, and Movies with violence "MIGHT" be bad influence, yes. However, it doesn't mean necessarily are true. Depends on individual's view. It can effect them. For me, I watched violence all my life and it doesn't mean anything to me. Just fiction and entertainment and no effect on me at all. Yes, I hate violence from games, tv, and movies but I like some of them depends on my taste. The war was one I hate because it was so real like reality. I won't watched it. Some others that are So fictions then I don't mind and doesn't influence me at all.

I wish that politicians can just please shut up and mind their own business and just get lost.

Reactions: DeoNaught

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its more than politicians, its your average american idiot too.

Media has always been blamed for violence....music, books, movies, games, etc....

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Media has only further extended violence, but its been a thing even before technology took place. Politicians/Trump just want to use it as a scapegoat to finger point
instead of going after parents or gun control itself. But in the recent mass shooting it was the Police fault for not taking the suspect's mother's phone call seriously which could have saved lives.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And to think that I used to believe South Park was just dark parody of things...
I never thought it would actually come to that.

Just change Canada to Video Games and we're set.

burial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

We cant only blame Trump/conservatives for this, democrats have also went after music/games very hard in the past.

People in general refuse to accept that WE are the monsters and try to find a scapegoat for all the 'evil' that humans do.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We cant only blame Trump/conservatives for this, democrats have also went after music/games very hard in the past.

People in general refuse to accept that WE are the monsters and try to find a scapegoat for all the 'evil' that humans do.
People that have the power to control this must be blamed b/c they are doing absolutely nothing to help prevent this. Most guns are being sold illegally to these ill minded shooters. I read a post that Walmart actually stopped advertising violent games out on open floors, however they are still selling guns. We all can sit here and debate violent media can cause violence, but it doesn't put the guns in our hands.

dAVID_

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've heard the "video games cause violence in young people" argument before, but "anime causes violence in young people" is something I have never heard before.
If anime was more mainstream in the United States, then perhaps such an argument would be made.
The most funny thing is that some people bring up video games as a cause of violence, and at the same time let their kids play M-rated games, which quite literally say "MATURE 17+" on the front cover.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mediums that are enjoyed by youth get blamed by politicians all the time. Nothing new. Though to be fair I only heard video games being blamed not weeb shows that exist.

Actually in this ONE instance of current events we can. The republicans brought it up as a talking point after the latest tragedy, so since its a point they may be pushing towards a policy draft (assuming they are trying to do their job as lawmakers and not distract from the issues at hand) it can be open to criticism.

Last edited by WD_GASTER2,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
I mean you have to do that. Next thing to blame (and usually the real culprit here) is bad parenting. And Karens would never accept that. "There's something devilish in that electronic thing making my son do bad things for sure, it's not my inability to teach them to do good".

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean you have to do that. Next thing to blame (and usually the real culprit here) is bad parenting. And Karens would never accept that. "There's something devilish in that electronic thing making my son do bad things for sure, it's not my inability to teach them to do good".
To be honest, I do think that would help a lot (maybe not solve the problem, but it would be part of the solution, even if just a small part)
If parents were more active in these kids lives it might just make sure they dont end up going nuts.

Reactions: Urbanshadow

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To the OP, you forgot to include Trump and straight white men to the thread title. They get blamed for everything, also.

While I do not think games are the blame for violence, in fact I believe they can be an outlet for anger in some cases, I do not think President Trump actually thinks that either. I would bet that whoever writes his speeches or edits them must have added that in as their own opinion.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I do not think games are the blame for violence, in fact I believe they can be an outlet for anger in some cases, I do not think President Trump actually thinks that either. I would bet that whoever writes his speeches or edits them must have added that in as their own opinion.

So he repeated it without giving it much thought? I am sure the other republicans did so as well JLP.
uh-mazing.
(i know youre account is a parody, so take my reply as tongue in cheek)

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So he repeated it without giving it much thought? I am sure the other republicans did so as well JLP.
uh-mazing.
(i know youre account is a parody, so take my reply as tongue in cheek)

Thoughts are from Satan. Trump doesn't listen to them as they are evil and he is not.

When you are reading off a teleprompter, you can't always catch what you are reading and make changes on the fly. Refer back to the movie Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."