If Mario Kart Wii happens to use IOS37 ....

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by kknn, Mar 30, 2008.

Mar 30, 2008
  1. kknn
    OP

Newcomer kknn Advanced Member

So i was wondering how we should proceed if Mario Kart Wii happens to use IOS37.
    This is a very delicate matter, since this is such a great game many of us will want to play.
    PLUS, it will be required to update in order to get all functionality (because of that mario-kart-wii channel).

Maybe it just provides the latest update, IOS37 without actually using it, thus being harmless.

However, i like to put myself in the worst situation, and that is assuming it might want to use IOS37, rendering the trucha bug useless [​IMG]
    And we all want to play it right away after its launch! Like many others, since this is almost a worldwide launch (thanks nintendo),
    i will buy it right away not having to wait for a internet release. And none of us will want to wait!

So: what would be the procedure to:

1.Check that it actually uses IOS37 - I think it would me a matter of analyzing the update (decrypting WADs, checking the TMD for the title version, am i right??)

2.Assuming check 1 is positive (Oh noes!) find a way to patch it so that it does NOT require IOS37 (maybe with IOS patcher?) BUT STILL UPDATES
    in order to have the new Mario Kart Wii Channel.

Is this even possible? maybe after patching with IOS patcher it won't update at all. With the Wii Update Manager im sure we would get rid of the new channel too (and we dont want to).
    Please correct me if im wrong.

Any other thoughts? [​IMG]

2. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Surely after so many reviews of this game there would have been some mention of a new firmware update? ie 4.1 etc

3. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well.... if we could patch the IOS version and then just not get the Mario Kart channel i wont care.
    The Mario Kart channel is just a shortcut.

All reviews are kinda done before the new IOS37. And i dont think all these big sites would yell around it having a new update.

4. m0dm0use

Member m0dm0use GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I won't care I will just update, anyway since its Jap then Europe first it will be on the net way before release date in Europe, as some of you know there is a Mario Kart event in the UK in 30 stores, going my games in the past it won't be a demo it will be the full game, knowing this it wont be to long before a PAL release goes up. As long as freeloader still works and all my other games work im happy.

5. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    Yep, the GAME event is on the 5th ... they are 100% using the full game for the event ... not a demo or partial version ... so, expect a leak around then.

We could have this game by weekend.

Mario Kart is finished, done, ready ... however you wanna look at it ... and it was before the whole IOS37 thing ... if any game is going to 'trigger' the IOS37, it's not going to be Mario Kart.

If Mario Kart does anything, in the way of a patch, it will add the patch that caused all this IOS37 furore in the first place, just to maximize the number of people that end up having that file on their system ... and then, later, in a forced update, it will/may be activated.

6. evil goober

Newcomer evil goober Member

United States
  7. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    You should have read the article you linked to ...

For most games, IOS version 30 is recommended (IOS30, firmware 3.0 and higher).

- With this application we CAN'T patch the IOS37 nor avoid it when upgrading the Wii.

- With this application we CAN run SSBB without update the Wii (and probably we'll be able to run Mario Kart even if it wants to use the IOS37).

8. JKR Firefox

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Let's not worry about things that haven't happened yet.

Why not wait and see what happens? If there is some sort of problem, someone will find a way around it and we'll be Karting in no time.

9. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I have it on pre-order anyway ... my Wii isn't even modded, and I've had it since launch [​IMG]

10. kknn
    OP

While its unlikely that it provides a new update not present via online updates, its still possible. We can't rule out that possibility.

The thread was meant to propose a "strategy" on how to proceed in order to play Mario Kart Wii safely (so our wiis can still boot trucha signed discs) , while not having to wait until somebody else figures out. Which means playing as soon as it gets to our hands.

Plus, it is very likely that the PAL game will arrive at stores even before the official release date, since that has been the case over here for many wii games after all [​IMG] .

From what i have seen so far, for playing safe *WITHOUT* mario kart wii channel,
    it would go like this:
    1. IOS-patch mkwii, in case it uses IOS37.
    2. remove the update (with WUM?), otherwise it will still update.

any thoughts on that?
    i think it wouuld be wiser to ios-patch the wii system menu instead of just the game, since it is the system menu which will prevent trucha signed discs from booting. I don't know if that is possible with the IOS-patcher tool, though?

11. superrob

Denmark
    Well and just wondering.
    Right now the IOS37 update ONLY exist in US.
    Maybe europe and china MK wont even hold IOS37?
    I know kinda lame tactic but.

12. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    who cares anyway...IOS37 wont block warez (modchips still work). IOS37 wont block homebrew (zelda:tp exploit still works). it just stops a few (maybe fun, but mostly useless IMO) game hacks.

13. siokzz

Newcomer siokzz Member

Singapore
    many of us patch the language, video modes, etc. using trucha, which will supposedly be rendered useless with IOS37... those are essential so it does matter for us... =)

14. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    oh well, might be time for you to start buying some of your games, then lol

15. bailli

Member bailli GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    We are talking about games that don't work without patching (whether it's an original or not)...

16. kknn
    OP

Yeah, right. It will stop wii custom firmwares.
    But , hey, who of us would want a custom firmware on wii anyway? its just a useless hack!
    c'moooon [​IMG]

So, appart from all the offtopic replys, anyone has any other strategy on how to proceed, what tools to use, etc?

17. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Of course originals work without patching ... what a silly thing for you to say.

18. Alerek

Member Alerek GBAtemp Fan

United States
    my strategy is to buy the game so I can get the wheel [​IMG]

how much can it help though, discussing theory? Any planned strategy on how to dump/modify/etc the game to make all the features work would change when the game releases anyway, right? how much can you plan for an unknown?

19. superrob

Denmark
    Hes talking about different region games.

20. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Every european user? [​IMG]