If I've downloaded a game from the FreeShop is it safe to Update it?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Dizzi, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Dizzi
    OP

Dizzi Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    I just downloaded BlasterMaster Zero from the FreeShop and when I start the program I get a prompt:

A software update is available.

I can run the game without updating, but I want the most up-to-date version of the game I can! So is it safe to update it?

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    Yes it is safe to update it.

Dizzi likes this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can safely update your game, whether it's through the eShop or the freeShop.

Dizzi likes this.
  4. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    Apparently ninty don't even try to tell the difference between an eshop download and a cartridge game and authenticate updates accordingly. Seems like a giant oversight on their part, but whatever.

Last edited by teelo, Aug 8, 2017
    whateverg1012, WeedZ and Dizzi like this.
  5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    How is that an oversight? Games from both the eShop and cartridges require the same updates.

6. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    Because if they had coded the eshop games differently to the cartridge games then they could ban people for trying to go online using their NNID with an eshop version of a game they never bought?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    First, an NNID isn't required to use online play and the eShop, so this doesn't accomplish anything. Second, online play has nothing to do with eShop updates.

8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Actually if they really wanted to, they could tell the three games apart (eShop, hard copy, and freeShop.) It just requires time and effort that could result in false positives.
    Nonetheless, there are actually are some minor differences between the 3 versions.

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    This is correct, particularly with the v0 version numbers, but I don't understand how any of this is relevant with regard to the topic of game updates.

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Just had to correct a statement, don't mind me.

11. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    Exactly. If they'd done all that then the OP would have something to worry about. Since Ninty were lazy, updating it is fine.

whateverg1012 likes this.
  12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Cartridge or eShop download, how would that affect the update process if Nintendo could tell the difference and cared?

I always value your input.

Lilith Valentine likes this.
  13. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    If they had required NNID login to download an update for a freeshop'ed game, then they'd know you're trying to update an eShop version of a game you never bought. We'd, of course, just get around this by finding somewhere else to download the updates from.

14. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    That's something entirely different from what you were talking about. That's requiring an NNID to download an update, not just whether or not Nintendo knows or cares about the difference between eShop and cartridge games.

15. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am not sure what you are ramble at. Even if it required a NNID, they still wouldn't care if you downloaded an update for a freeShop game.

Lacius likes this.
  16. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    Why not? It would be a reason to ban.
    They'd go together. If they knew the difference between eShop and cartridge, and required NNID to login to download an update, then they could ban people trying to download updates for eShop versions they never bought.

17. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I understand they would go together, but this scenario is not the same scenario I responded to before.

Last edited by Lacius, Aug 8, 2017
  18. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Wasn't there an issue with version numbers being different for the eshop and physical versions of the as/or releases?

19. teelo

teelo Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    New Zealand
    Yes it is. Seems like you're just disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreeing.

20. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You only just recently mentioned something about also requiring an NNID to install game updates. That's not the scenario I responded to. I responded to the scenario about the ability to discern between eShop downloads and cartridges and how that alone would or would not affect the game-updating process.