if in the future we can make our own games copies can we have online?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dragonmaster, Mar 2, 2014.

1. dragonmaster
    OP

dragonmaster THE WALKER

Sep 9, 2005
    Greece
    well i am wondering as i know the problem that we wont have online is cause game id of one copy will be banned as it will be online for various places and so they would know that something is not right
    my question is simple if for example in the future i can dump my pokemon x or any game to my micro sd will i be able to use its online function as long as i dont share it ?

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    There's no knowing that yet.

We can't predict the future.

3. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Depends a lot on the way Nintendo implements restrictions for online gaming on their network. If Sony or Microsoft are in any way a comparison, you'll be able to play until the banhammer of heavens lands on your console and you'll never be able to play online again (excluding workarounds, but they usually don't give permanent access either).

4. dragonmaster
    OP

dragonmaster THE WALKER

Sep 9, 2005
    Greece
    but thats no prediction fact why online on flashcards is absent is cause they can know you run a copy ,if i have my own game copy why i can not use online/ it is not a prophecy of the future just a question which does come from what we know untill now

5. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    The only proven thing we can tell about it now is that GW and MT announced to include Real Time Save in their next releases.

6. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    Is it true that every game has an own ID and if more than one goes online, they get banned?

Doesn't sound very consumer-friendly to me. What if a hacker bruteforce-guessed IDs (assuming we have a way to go online with roms, etc) before the future legit owners of the game? What if the legit owner of the cart is offline? Then is the pirated copy able to go online? And what if the pirated copy remains online? Is the original owner locked out of online?

Also the fact that MS and sony never implemented this shows that there must be a reason, cause it seems too effective to pass up.

7. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Just out of curiosity and this show my lack of understanding so please forgive me if this sounds dumb from a technical standpoint. Why can't someone make a 1:1 of the NAND flash and EEPROM and literally copy that on to another device of the same configuration? If a low level bit for bit copy was made and then copied back on to another device? Is is the code in the EEPROM that store the unique ID for each game or is it written to the NAND flash?

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The main problem is manufacturing costs would increase AFAIK. I'm prettu sure it's just a theory though, and it may or may not be related to why Gateway online doesn't work. As to whether it will be fixed with self-dumps, I really doubt it.

9. Jean Karlo

Jean Karlo Hacker Aspirant!!!

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hyrule
    Cant you play online already with classic mode?

10. Avalynn

Avalynn I'm here to help poeple out as I can.

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Yes if you have the retail cartridge or download version, but I think this is concerning a copy of the game.

11. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

Not entirely true. My Wii was banned a few years ago and my sister got pissed off that she couldn't play online, so she called Nintendo and they un-banned our console. They forced her to completely wipe the Wii, and told her that if it ever happened again it was permanent. After that, I just used MAC/IP/Wii ID spoofers and it never got banned again.

I'm not sure how well cheating and using ROM's relates, though.

12. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    With a new online architecture, it is highly unlikely for Nintendo to unban consoles anymore. Sony or Microsoft will not unban consoles or gamertags/psn ids if they find you breaking the rules. Especially in the case of a hacked console and/or cheating.

13. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    I doubt that's the case. Flashing each individual ROM chip with a unique ID doesn't seem too cost-effective to me. It's more like an unintentional bug with the way the exploit works, I think.

cearp likes this.
  14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    I think it's likely that gateway just edits the firmware to accept "debug carts" or something like that, then the gateway card emulates a debug card which wouldn't be able to access online features, which would explain why it was blocked off the bat, as nintendo would already have debug carts blocked from online play from the start, that would explain why the "online is not available with this card" string already existed in 4.x

I doubt it has much to do with the actual dump

15. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Nope, it doesn't. It only disables the security checks.

16. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Well they did something that is different than retail carts, as just disabling security checks would mean that retail carts would work in gateway mode too, but just not have the security checks run, maybe it is just a side effect of them adding "security" to make sure others couldn't just make a fake card and run it on their firmware

Idk I won't pretend to be an expert but I highly doubt online not working is due to special unique codes on roms

17. DRWS

DRWS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 19, 2010
    United States
    That is exactly what happens though. Each cart has its own unique encryption key, encrypting both the ROM and save file different than another. You can't take a Powersaves backup from one cart and make it work on another for that reason.

18. profi200

profi200 Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2011
    Gambia, The
    What every Launcher.dat do is just disabling the protocol encryption for communicating with the card. But to avoid clones, there is a encrypted handshake.

But yes, every single original gamecard has a unique id. I doubt they implemented something to properly emulate that yet.

€:
    And no, it cost them nothing extra. They just burn a unique id on the cartridge on manufacturing.

19. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    How can that physically cost nothing extra?

Subtle Demise likes this.
  20. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    That would be like stamping each CD for PC software with its serial key hard-coded in.