Android If I want a Galaxy S8, how should I go about it? Unlocked? Carrier (Verizon) version? Any deals?

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I have had my S3 for too long. It's been having problems for a while, but I managed to avoid getting them when it was urgent to use my phone. The Samsung Galaxy S8 appeals to me the most, but this would be the first phone I ever bought for myself. All previous smart/phones and plans had been handled by my father, but now I must deal with it. My understanding of the S8 is that the unlocked version can be used with just about any carrier, and that's good because while I use Verizon right now, that may change in the future. Therefore, perhaps getting an unlocked phone would be best, as it would have other benefits, like no bloatware. But, is that really true? Are carrier versions locked out? Or, can I use one, like a Verizon version, with another carrier if I did a few things to it (without rooting)? Would that be risky? I don't have the money to be experimenting, but I do need a new phone.

Beyond that, any good deals? Black Friday is coming up, but it's been a bit quiet around places I browse.

gohan127

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do note that samsung unlocked phones have been notorious for not getting updates as frequent as their carrier locked counterparts did. i ended up getting the t-mobile usa prepaid version, even though the phone was paid off they still wanted me to use at least $100 before they unlock it for me.

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
do note that samsung unlocked phones have been notorious for not getting updates as frequent as their carrier locked counterparts did. i ended up getting the t-mobile usa prepaid version, even though the phone was paid off they still wanted me to use at least $100 before they unlock it for me.
That's one of the cons I've read up on about unlocked phones. Another is that carrier version have certain features that can't be used with unlocked phones. With Verizon, there's no HD calling, no Visual Voicemail, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality