If I update my Wii from a disc, will it get bricked?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by MidniteBlaze, Jul 16, 2015.

1. MidniteBlaze
    OP

MidniteBlaze Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venezuela
    I installed a cIOS for testing a GameCube ISO on my Wii, but now I want to return the console to its original state (keeping the HBC for booting imports). If I use a disc update, will it get bricked? I can't remember what cIOS I installed, but ever since I uninstalled that one and restored the official one, it asks me to update.

I forgot where I put my NAND backup, but I have BootMii installed on boot2 (I think that's the one that lets me choose if I want to go to the HBC directly after turning the Wii on). Will it brick if I try to update?

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    It'll be fine. It'll remove and stub any cIOS if you have any installed, but that's about all it does.

HaloEffect17 and MidniteBlaze like this.
  3. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    If you're really concerned, you could make a new NAND backup now, before you start messing with updating.

HaloEffect17 and MidniteBlaze like this.
  4. MidniteBlaze
    OP

MidniteBlaze Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venezuela
    I thought so, but I wanted to be sure it wasn't gonna brick it or remove the HBC. Thanks!

And just to be extra sure, is there a way to be 100% sure that my BootMii was installed to boot2?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    If you get the BootMii menu, or the disc drive LED flashes twice when you power on the Wii, you have BootMii as boot2.

MidniteBlaze likes this.
  6. MidniteBlaze
    OP

MidniteBlaze Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2010
    Venezuela
    Thanks again!

7. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Updating pretty much DELETES ALL HOMEBREW! I stupidly did this on my Wii 5 years ago but luckily I had a NAND backup :)