Apple If I update my iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 what will the baseband be?

luke_c

Big Boss
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Need to restore to 4.2.1 tommorow so just wondering if the baseband will change (I was on 4.0.1) and what it would change to. If it's something I can't use Ultrasn0w on I can always Jailbreak with redsn0w and use the iPad bootrom and then unlock.
Thanks.
EDIT: I would be going back to 4.0.1 but iTunes just won't let me, I have the SHSH blobs needed, I can get past the verification from Apple but I can't restore the phone, I get the usual "This iPhone could not be restored blah blah blah (Error 21)" if anyone has any ideas on if I can get this to work it would be mucho appreciated.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
iOS 4.2.1 contains baseband 5.15.04, which isn't compatible with ultrasn0w. But as you said, you can use the iPad baseband 6.15.00 trick (which will void your warranty, probably indefinitely).

If you don't want to go down that route, you should be able to restore to a custom IPSW and preserve your baseband. (sn0wbreeze 2.1 can make a custom IPSW for 4.1, and PwnageTool can make a custom IPSW for 4.1 and 4.2.1.)

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
You *are* clicking "Start TinySS Server" in TinyUmbrella before attempting to restore to the older firmware, right?
That doesn't apply for the iPhone 3G; it's only applicable for the iPhone 4.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
It applies to all iDevices as of 4.0 and up.
To me, it looked more like DanTheMan was suggesting using TinyUmbrella to preserve the baseband (which only works for the iPhone 4). As you said, SHSHs do indeed apply to all devices, iOS 4.0 and later.

luke_c

Big Boss
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
You *are* clicking "Start TinySS Server" in TinyUmbrella before attempting to restore to the older firmware, right?
Yes, I was. I couldn't be bothered with it all in the end so I just stuck it on 4.2.1, updated the baseband to the iPad one and stuck on Ultrasn0w and SAM, worked fine and sent it off yesterday.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over