If I send my console for repairs, will Nintendo upgrade it?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Xirix, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Xirix
    OP

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    My gamepad has been acting up with lag and signal errors connecting to my Wii U, it's already been repaired once by changing it's wireless unit but it's started to show the same symptoms, Nintendo wants me to send in both the gamepad and the console this time to check there's nothing wrong on the console's end.

Problem is I want my Wii U to be hackable, it's on 4.1.0 right now, is it a standard practice for Nintendo to install upgrades after analysing the problems?

Has anyone had any experience with this? I could give them instructions to not upgrade the system, but I don't really trust that to be a guarantee.

2. nintendarium

nintendarium Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2015
    being this the history , I fear they're gonna format your console ...
    I made a test now opening a chat on support nintendo uk ...
    http://nintendoservicecentre.co.uk/support/wii-u

that's the answer of the support chatter:

edit: obviously I invented a generic connection problem :)

addendum:
    that could be a possibility that the problem is hardware (bt chip, or antenna) , in that case for the sake of quicken times they could avoid upgrading,
    but also could be a new policy since they well know that 5.3.2 got "stuff" to upgrade all repaired console whatever the problem (softw or hardw) to 5.5.0 firmware... :)
    (at least if I were Nintendo I'll do that way... :) don't hate me)

Last edited by nintendarium, Oct 7, 2015
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    From what I've heard, Nintendo normally updates consoles that are sent in for repair, or send you an updated refurb.

yuyuyup likes this.
  4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    yeah its just like standard diagnostics work, get console in, update, if the problem persists then repair, they would have no reason not to update it as there is always the possibility that the issue stems from a bug in a older FW....not that it is, but its always more logical to rule out possible software problems first

good example is someone had a 3DS with "bits" under the top screen.....yeah it came back updated....so even with "obviously not software" issues it probably just goes through the chain on diagnostics which involves updating

Last edited by gamesquest1, Oct 7, 2015
    Ryccardo likes this.
  5. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I think its pretty standard for any company to do that. Computers (with windows updates or OSX updates), phones, and consoles. I know I had quite a tough time finding a <9.2 O3DS because GameStop common practice was to clean, repair, and update all the returned consoles.

6. nintendarium

nintendarium Banned

Banned
    Sep 3, 2015
    in reality from the answer they gave me this morning that is not the unique "standard procedure".
    for example HP and TOSHIBA repair support to shorten the repair times avoid system formatting if they sure the problem is purely hardware,obviously they ask you to make a backup before sending them your notebook but many of my old customer told me that they had their pc repaired without formatting .
    usually big companies have repair support outsourced .
    so since they get paid on numbers of success repairs they make, if the can speed up repair when they find an easy problem they avoid longest procedures...

problem here is that the OP sent to repair already the gamepad.
    so in this case they will go make the full "cycle" here to avoid a third repair (nintendo surely will not pay for repeating repairs :) )
    he can risk hoping the repair technician will focus only on antennas or other communication hardware...
    but it is risky :)

OP: can you test your repaired gamepad on another wiiu?
    (if you dont have friends with wiiu you can ask some shop that has demo kioks to make a test)

then if you sure the wifi on gamedpad is working you could think of replace wiiu wifi on your own :
    https://it.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+Wii+U+Teardown/11796

7. Xirix
    OP

Xirix GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2007
    I think I'll just send in the gamepad again then, last time I sent it in on it's own they did indeed confirm it faulty and replaced the wifi thing in it. It's possible my gamepad is just terrible, the lady only booked in the gamepad as I said I didn't have the console on-hand to give her the serial number.

Maybe here's a better question, if I were to use the exploit and spoof to the latest firmware... do you think Nintendo would notice the difference?

8. xdarkmario

xdarkmario Philosopher

Dec 30, 2010
    United States
    Mushroom Kingdom
    they will absolutely update it once they get it, and if they even smell a hint of hacks or spoofs they will deny repairs and maybe update it for fun.

thaikhoa likes this.
  9. andrew weeks

andrew weeks GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2015
    Hi everyone!
    I was also planning to send my New3DS to nintendo. Yesterday, the 3D effect got suddenly dark and blurry, a real pain for my eyes. Could they take legal actions against me if they realize it is a hacked console (cakesfw emunand), apart from upgrade the firmware?

10. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia
    No, but they might refuse to repair it.

11. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Did you try opening and closing the lid?

Monty Kensicle likes this.
  12. andrew weeks

andrew weeks GBAtemp Regular

Jun 21, 2015
    Several times, it is not the typical cwf 3D problem.It happens both in sysnand and emunand.