Question If I return my Switch to Nintendo, are they gonna give me a patched unit?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Burorī, May 15, 2019 at 2:54 PM.

1. Burorī
    OP

Burorī Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2018
    Belgium
    When I returned my 2DS XL, Nintendo gave me a brand-new one because the cartridge slot was damaged. But if I return my Switch because the Joy-Con rail is broken, are they just gonna fix the issue or am I gonna get a new console with the patched exploit?

2. Abacus01

Abacus01 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2019
    United States
    Assume they will check your model. If they detect it has the vulnerability, most likely they will replace it. nintendo is vigilent

xalphax, smileyhead and lieder1987 like this.
  3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
  4. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Glue a glass screen protector to it? surely they would have to repair you current model then... If they sent you a new switch it would be grounds to complain as you spent money on the quality screen protector. I can't Imagine they would go to the effort of modifying the hardware in your current unit to patch it, although their is a small chance :P.

Last edited by Jackson98, May 15, 2019 at 3:16 PM
    McWhiters9511 likes this.
  5. Sethtimus Prime

Sethtimus Prime Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2012
    United States
    They won't care. I'm sure it's in the warranty info that you may get another unit instead of the one you sent in.

6. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Damn, their goes that suggestion then :P. The only other option I would see possible then is just getting repairs through somewhere else.

7. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    they dont need to change the screen to ipatch the board

8. magico29

magico29 GBAtemp Maniac

GBAtemp Patron
    magico29 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 2, 2017
    United States
    you will get a random console, simple as is.

9. Jackson98

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    True, but I imagine they wouldn't want to go the immediate effort of modifying your current console, I reckon they would just take the lazy route and throw a new console your way. Especially if that is within their terms and conditions. Not that i know either, but the reason I didn't think they would ipatch your current console is because nintendo rarely go to more effort than they have to unless necessary. Why spend more money fixing a unit than they would have to ;-).

10. smileyhead

smileyhead Yes.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Budakeszi, Hungary
    Whether you get a new console or not, they will definitely update it to the latest firmware. Also, if they notice your unit is hacked, they can (and probably will) deny service.

11. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    patching a already existing board is impossible :P

NoNAND and andyhappypants like this.
  12. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    They replace the board with a new rev, ipatched of course

13. NoNAND

NoNAND Never breathes.

Aug 22, 2015
    Antarctica
    My existential nightmare..
    so please, get a joy con rail and try to fix it yourself.. or have someone familiar with such stuff do it for you.
    You know how keen Nintendo are on hacking stuff right? can't risk getting your switch getting ipatched for something such as a joycon rail.
    if you can't replace it in the end then simply leave it as is and play on the dock instead of portable.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

While that might be true, hence they cannot patch a ROM chip, unless they got the needed tools to defy the laws of electronics and computing lol.
    least they could do is replace the motherboard.?

14. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    yea, they’d need to somehow unburn fuses, which isn’t exactly very simple :P

yea, the most they can really do is replace the motherboard in some way (whether it be by replacing the whole system or just the board)

NoNAND likes this.
  15. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Hows this work for joy-cons? I'm waiting for "repaired" joy-cons to arrive today as we speak. I left a mark in permanent marker on one of them as I'll be curious to know if they gave me new/refurbished ones.

16. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    So you broke your Joycon rail trying to use god-knows-what as a RCM jig...

You can easily just buy a replacement joycon rail and fix it yourself. Nintendo isn't stupid - they know these exploits are out there and sending in a Switch with a busted joycon rail only makes you look more suspicious. Replacement rails are cheap and easy to install.

17. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Regular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    My question are how the people burst his pins, I use the paperclip method, never see or enter on RCM before, it take me 1h to work because I go carefull and didn't force it, but I don't produce any damages, after some boots with the paperclip, I buy the atmosphere injector that include a jig and today it's working as expected.

I think the people should be patient and do the process with calm, it's better waste one hour like me than broke the pins, anyways, a jig cost like 2$ if their aren't sure or can't do the things with patience I recomend wait for a jig before try without sense.

You always can say things to their like "damaged with third party joycons" for example, but right joycon and damaged pins... they gona suspect so hard, anyways they like repair this because gona replace it with a ipatched unit.

Last edited by Chocola, May 16, 2019 at 10:32 PM
  18. Burorī
    OP

Burorī Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2018
    Belgium
    I found a way to play in handheld by putting tape on the left's joycon's connector but I'm afraid that if I repair it myself and that if I later get a worse problem with my Switch, they won't repair it because the warranty has been void

19. Dust2dust

Dust2dust GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
  20. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I don't think it's worth the risk. The rails aren't difficult to replace yourself.

Yup. It could go either way. Nintendo would obviously prefer to get rid of every iPatched console, but that would cost them tens of millions of dollars in replacements.
    For such a simple fix (the rails are separate pieces that just need to be unscrewed and the ribbon cables detached), they may just repair your existing console, or to save time they may send you a refurb. A refurb will be hit and miss on whether it's patched.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, May 18, 2019 at 11:18 AM