1. TehCheez

OP TehCheez Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Picked up a XAW1001XXXX Switch on 6.0.1 today. Already 3D printed a jig and I'm loading SX OS using NX Loader. My question is if I never go online and at some point decide to sell my Switch, could the person I sell it to expect a ban at any point? I would factory reset before selling.

2. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If you revert to a nand backup (from before hacking it) or factory reset youre fine. Otherwise, if you go online at all youre at risk.

3. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I'm not sure even the factory reset would work the clean nand backup is the only surefire way

4. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Portugal
    Factory reset doesn't remove every single trace. For example, it doesn't remove erroneous error reports

Mythical likes this.
  5. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I stand corrected, in that case better have a nand backup.

6. TehCheez

Newcomer

United States
    First thing I did after loading to the SX OS main screen was a NAND dump. Didn't know it would be needed to avoid a ban, but did it just for the sake of having it case of an emergency. I did load into SX OS one time to generate my licenses file before doing the NAND backup, think that would cause any issues?

Edit: I can't spell

7. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    Delete Ticketblob, Error Logs and do Factory Restore Settings offline (double kill ticketblob and error logs) before connecting to the Internet.

8. bundat

bundat ¿

Antarctica
    The chance is low (since you haven't done anything like load an XCI, install an NSP, or run homebrew), and I assume you haven't encountered an error/crash screen while running SX OS. These 4 things are the HIGHEST RISK actions.

• If you have any wifi connections set up, turn off your router, and then delete all wifi connections on the Switch. Do this ASAP. As it seems "continuity" is also important to Nintendo, as someone has been banned before for clearing their logs
      • (i.e. if your Switch sends any new logs, and these logs "go missing" i.e. they're not present in your NAND backup, then it could be dangerous... so the top priority is to go offline ASAP before any new logs are made and/or sent to Nintendo)
    • After that, make ANOTHER NAND backup using Hekate 4.2. This is for SAFETY, as Hekate is the only one that verifies that the NAND backup, to make sure it is not corrupted. People have had BRICKED Switches from restoring NAND backups made with tools other than Hekate. This is a SAFETY nand backup, but it is NOT a CLEAN nand backup.
    So what you want to do when you're gonna resell it is restore the first backup you made with SX OS (this is the "hopefully clean backup"). If it bricks, restore your "safety backup" made with Hekate.

Also don't forget to backup BOOT0 and BOOT1 as well.

And until you restore that NAND backup, NEVER go online ever again.

This is the safest you can get, but the ideal was to make a Hekate NAND backup BEFORE loading any CFW.

-----

EDIT: Also, if you plan to upgrade your firmware version in the future (e.g. a new game requires version 7.0.0), read up on how to upgrade without burning fuses (it's just by using ChoiDujourNX). Because you will want to not burn any fuses in the future, if you want to be able to use your original NAND backup in OFW.

Last edited by bundat, Oct 24, 2018
    Mythical likes this.
  9. TehCheez

Newcomer

United States
    This last time it was on WiFi was the shop I bought it at. Factory reset it and turned airplane mode on as soon as I got it in the car. Only downside is it's on 6.0.1 so any fuse that's going to be blown is already blown. I'm assuming that I'll load Hekate just as I did SX OS (sorry, new to Switch scene)? Seems like it from the quick research I've done. Once I do a NAND dump from it I'm free to start doing whatever I want?

Thanks for all the info!

Edit: Does SX OS NAND dump and Hekate automatically backup BOOT0 and BOOT1 or is that something I need to do separately?

Last edited by TehCheez, Oct 24, 2018
  10. bundat

bundat ¿

Antarctica
    Boot0 and Boot1 backup is a separate thing.
    You should do it now (I THINK it is clean and isn't modified in any way by CFW UNLESS you enable AutoRCM or SX emunand, so you should be able to use a Boot0/1 backup you make now, but don't quote me on that)

You should be as safe as you could possibly be after making the Hekate backup (which is not 100%, but it's the best you can do right now)

The fuses thing I was talking about is for FUTURE updates (in case you ever want to upgrade your FW in the future). It's not applicable right now, of course.

But there ARE more fuses that can be blown in future updates, so keep that in mind if you ever want to go back to OFW using the first NAND backup.

Last edited by bundat, Oct 24, 2018
  11. Freezerbomb

Freezerbomb Likes tacos

United States
    You are probably fine if you truly didn't install NSPs, or use DevMenu, and stayed offline in CFW. But doing things like deleting error reports and ticketblobs as others have suggested may get you banned.

XxBLUExX likes this.
  12. XxBLUExX

XxBLUExX Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Not if you go all out downloading from can for free

13. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Australia
    FYI, do factory restore settings (OFFLINE) will delete all ticketblob and error logs. It's the official method.
    You can test the ticketblob using tinfoil or dz.

Freezerbomb likes this.
  14. deusversus

deusversus Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I suggest using 90DNS so you can access the internet for homebrew while blocking Nintendo's servers & services.

thaikhoa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - firmware, original, online