If I ever get bricked.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Rosetta06, Jun 20, 2009.

Jun 20, 2009

If I ever get bricked. by Rosetta06 at 11:38 PM (1,321 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. Rosetta06
    OP

Member Rosetta06 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Heya, new person here.
    Have a simple question. I have been softmodded for quite awhile and have system software 4.0U. God forbid something happens and I brick.
    What can be done? I have the SaveMiiFrii type dancepad so that's fine getting in to the black screen with version number. But what comes after that?

Thanks
    -R

2. Tzepish

Newcomer Tzepish Newbie

United States
    Install BootMii as boot2. It's magical. If you get bricked, you can still boot into BootMii and install a NAND backup (or use the homebrew channel to launch whatever apps you need to to fix the brick).

EDIT: For using SaveMii specifically, I believe you can use it to install a system menu off of any Wii game disc that has one.

3. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  4. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Install BootMii... it will allow you to completely backup your Wii's NAND (internal memory) to an SD card. Should something go wrong, you can boot into BootMii, and use that backup to help restore a semi-brick

As a side note, even though it may complete 100%, double check that backup will indeed restore, because some SD cards aren't 100% compatible, and it would hurt to find out the hard way that yours won't work.

5. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Just so you know, you'll need to install the patched IOS60 and install the "disable diagonistic disc check" patch from either Preloader or StartPatch to be able to autoboot homebrew discs on 4.0 using SaveMiiFree

6. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    As Boot2, what exactly does boot2 do?

7. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    NVM you guys just answered, OK so I put Boot Mii installer on the SD with all my homebrew. Lemme get that far and come back. [​IMG]

8. chrisf

Banned chrisf Banned

United States
    with a boot2 install when u turn the wii on it boots straight into bootmii instead of the system menu. so if ur system menu gets bricked bootmii still starts up normally.

if you install bootmii as an IOS instead you cannot boot the wii straight into bootmii when it starts up, soif you happen to get bricked you cannot use bootmii to fix it.

9. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If you install BootMii as boot2 then the BootMii menu will boot up as soon as you turn your Wii on (even before the Wii System Menu) where you can choose to either do a NAND backup, go to the Homebrew Channel, go to the Wii's system menu and many other things. For more information and pros and cons of installing it as boot2, you can always download BootMii off the official BootMii website and read the 'readme' that's included in the download.

10. FenrirWolf

United States
    As long as you didn't fry your system menu and you can autoboot homebrew discs you can use a disc that loads IOS254 on startup and get into BootMii that way.

11. Rosetta06
    OP

United States

Is there anyway just to have a simple bootable dvdr that will run this kinda stuff after I do the savemiifrii?

12. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    Bootmii has an installer.elf, thought elfs weren't compatible with homebrew channel anymore.
    And where would I put this, on a fresh sd card? Sorry for all the questions.

13. FenrirWolf

United States
    Think about it this way: Do you honestly think TT would release something that's not compatible with their own HBC, which is the most used homebrew app ever?

In the past people were using ill-formatted elf files, which is why they stopped working with the new HBC's. But the installer elf works just fine so use it.

14. nicko68

Newcomer nicko68 Advanced Member

Canada
    How do you do this? Run a restore in simulation mode? Isn't validating after backing up good enough? I also back up the NAND backup onto my PC, I figure if it can be read off the SD card at that point, it will be good if/when needed.

15. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    Sorry bout that, btw I used a fresh SD card to install boot mii, and also install it as boot2. When that card is in I get the nice menu with the nand backup options and all. [​IMG]

Question though, I have to have that SD card in to have the sleek pre menu up, should I have done it a different way to have it on my big SD with all my apps or is this fine?

Duh nevermind, I saw a youtube video saying that these two options should be on one SD card and then my Nand backup also on another.

16. Eddie_Brock

Member Eddie_Brock GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    There have been reports of BootMii reporting that the NAND backup is from a different Wii system, and it will not let you restore. Yes, from what I've read, Simulation mode is the best way to test your nand.bin.

And yeah, if you have the room, why not back it up on your PC as well?

17. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    Doing NAND backup now, gonna simulate after just to see.

18. Rosetta06
    OP

United States
    Worked fine, and the simulation worked well too. THX [​IMG]
    So Bootmii stays on its own SD card,
    Nand stays on its own too,
    and My big SDHC holds all my homebrew and such correct?