Hardware If I buy a prebuilt, would I be able to upgrade it/salvage its parts later?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I'm looking to invest in a PC here when I go to college in a few months. I had in mind that I wanted to build, but the price difference between building and buying prebuilt is pretty small. I ask mainly because a 30 series card is pretty dang hard to find right now by itself at MSRP. If I did end up going prebuilt, I would want to reuse parts in the future. Is that a realistic expectation?

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey all, I'm looking to invest in a PC here when I go to college in a few months. I had in mind that I wanted to build, but the price difference between building and buying prebuilt is pretty small. I ask mainly because a 30 series card is pretty dang hard to find right now by itself at MSRP. If I did end up going prebuilt, I would want to reuse parts in the future. Is that a realistic expectation?
Yes most definitely. The only thing that pre-builts possibly lack are good motherboards (and maybe cooling) if you want to eke out some more performance from your computer. Choose your system integrator wisely and post on this thread if you have any doubts/concerns.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help :) I know that was probably a stupid question, but we all start somewhere.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Yes most definitely. The only thing that pre-builts possibly lack are good motherboards (and maybe cooling) if you want to eke out some more performance from your computer. Choose your system integrator wisely and post on this thread if you have any doubts/concerns.
They also often lack good PSUs or PSUs adequate for an upgraded system, so I'd look into getting a proper one down the line.

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help :) I know that was probably a stupid question, but we all start somewhere.
No it's a very valid question. AMD/Intel/Nvidia exclusively set aside some of the hardware stock for system integrators especially in this day and age because most people don't want to go through the hassle of building their PCs themselves. Also, these days there are too many scalpers scalping DIY parts, and SIs have much more reasonable prices.

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When buying a prebuilt make sure
1. That the psu isn't dog shit.
2. If it's ryzen make sure it has dual channel ram.
3. Make sure the psu and motherboard are standard atx parts as some oems such as dell will use funny shaped motherboards and powersupplies so you can't replace or upgrade them.
4. Make sure it doesn't come bundled with any shit software like mcaffee, avg or avast or any other shitty antivirus.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Most of the time they're off the shelf parts so you should be able to stick anything you want in there or use anything that's inside in another pc. Some times this isn't the case though (particularly with very small PCs) so be careful. One example that jumps to mind is the Alienware Alpha. That system had a lot of custom hardware to make it as small as possible.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Depends. There are some prebuild vendors (usually HP, Dell, ... and that ilk), that use proprietary connectors/pinouts/cables on their motherboards, PSUs and so on. (Places that prebuild your PC from other manufacturers parts usually dont do that, but follow standard.)

This means, that processor, ram, and graphicscard usually are always salvageable (they have to buy from other vendors following standards) - but motherboard or PSU might not be, depending on where you are buying from.

Some of the mentioned vendors also limit the grafics cards you could use within that system bios side. And more restrictively than a normal motherboard vendor would.

If you are not buying from said brands above, but rather from more 'boutique' system builders this isnt an issue.

Also for power pinouts, there are converter cables (sold on aliexpress), but getting them (or making them yourself), and knowing that you'd have to get them and... is a pain.. ;)

Reactions: KokoseiJ

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, you should DIY to save on any potential headaches down the road. I recommend checking out PCPartPicker.com and using the System Builder they have there. They list parts and their prices out based on who's selling them officially.

But more important is to research. If you want to play it safe, and have something that you know for sure is going to work on any game both now and in the future, any CPU that has at least 6 cores (8 is preferable IMO) should be what to shoot for if you don't want to be upgrading down the road. And I would just stick with Nvidia myself for the video card. Even a GTX 1080 will do you wonders for a while, and that's me speaking from experience.

The DIY part is going to require a lot of research on your part, but any informed decision will be better than a choice made based on a subjective statement that doesn't get into the nitty gritty.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The issue with prebuilts from OEMs like Dell is that they often use proprietary parts like proprietary motherboard and PSU, that won't fit in another case and you can't replace the PSU with something more powerful, if you want to upgrade the GPU for example and don't have enough wattage. To avoid that, it's better to buy from a system builder that uses all standard, off the shelf parts like what you might buy if you were building a PC yourself (minus maybe the case as those are often custom), but those also tend to come with a higher price tag, although it's not too bad.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Depends. There are some prebuild vendors (usually HP, Dell, ... and that ilk), that use proprietary connectors/pinouts/cables on their motherboards, PSUs and so on. (Places that prebuild your PC from other manufacturers parts usually dont do that, but follow standard.)

This means, that processor, ram, and graphicscard usually are always salvageable (they have to buy from other vendors following standards) - but motherboard or PSU might not be, depending on where you are buying from.

Some of the mentioned vendors also limit the grafics cards you could use within that system bios side. And more restrictively than a normal motherboard vendor would.

If you are not buying from said brands above, but rather from more 'boutique' system builders this isnt an issue.

Also for power pinouts, there are converter cables (sold on aliexpress), but getting them (or making them yourself), and knowing that you'd have to get them and... is a pain.. ;)
tbh a fair few of the gaming-oriented ones use standard parts. The HP Omen 25L, for example, seems to be pretty damn standard all the way down to the PSU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s