Hacking If I buy a new New 3DS XL, will the Gateway 3D work on it?

StarOfDoom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
I have read all the stickies about the Gateway, and couldn't find this answer anywhere. If I buy a factory sealed New 3DS XL, will it come with stock firmware, so that I can run the Gateway 3D, or will it force me to update to the newest version immediately? Thanks

-Star

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
I have read all the stickies about the Gateway, and couldn't find this answer anywhere. If I buy a factory sealed New 3DS XL, will it come with stock firmware, so that I can run the Gateway 3D, or will it force me to update to the newest version immediately? Thanks

-Star

It all depends on the serial number so maybe

StarOfDoom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the moment you'll most likely get a New 3DS XL below 9.2 (9.2 or lower is required for gateway to work) but some cases have shown batches of New 3DS's on higher firmwares. You wont be forced to update dude lol

I haven't bought a Nintendo product since DSi's launch. I have no idea how Nintendo deals with updates and such. Sorry for.. I don't know.. not wanting to spend a fortune on new things I won't use I guess? >.<

Reactions: CarefulCrysis

StarOfDoom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of buying off EBay, do you think it would be a better idea to go into a Gamestop and buy one so I can see the SN? (Even though I *really* hate supporting Gamestop, i'd rather not waste $200 on a system that can't do the one thing I want)

Go to walmart and tell them you're looking for specific model because they have different screens, though this is true you're essentially lying to get a 3ds on 9.2 or lower and if its not return it minutes later
Print out the list here http://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/ minus the firmware info and hand it to a worker in electronics.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most retailers like Walmart n target don't care why you're looking. I even had a guy read me the first 4 serial #'s on all the black 3ds's so I didn't drive out and waste my time.

But I would get moving because new stock 3ds are all hitting 9.4+ fw. Getting harder to find store 9.0-9.2 in some places. I had to check 4 targets to find one recently.

jrebey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't bought a Nintendo product since DSi's launch. I have no idea how Nintendo deals with updates and such. Sorry for.. I don't know.. not wanting to spend a fortune on new things I won't use I guess? >.<

So you replied why?

jrebey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to walmart and tell them you're looking for specific model because they have different screens, though this is true you're essentially lying to get a 3ds on 9.2 or lower and if its not return it minutes later
Print out the list here http://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/ minus the firmware info and hand it to a worker in electronics.

I just asked the guy for an N3DS and asked if I could look at the boxes first. He sat there while I verified the serial number and I handed him the one I wanted. I didn't have to come up with any elaborate story. For the most part, they get paid by the hour and could really care less.

Gamestop employees, on the other hand, were all up in my business cuz they wanted to know how to do it for themselves. :-)

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just asked the guy for an N3DS and asked if I could look at the boxes first. He sat there while I verified the serial number and I handed him the one I wanted. I didn't have to come up with any elaborate story. For the most part, they get paid by the hour and could really care less.

Gamestop employees, on the other hand, were all up in my business cuz they wanted to know how to do it for themselves. :-)

Also... bring donuts. Or Pizza. Shuts the manager up if they start throwing a hissy fit. Srsly... Gamestop employees are pretty chill. But there's always that one in the mall with the dick manager who hates kids... or has no time to spare before going out of business. Shove donuts down their throats and they go away. ;)

Best bet? Don't buy a Majora's Mask edition. Lots of reports about being 9.4. Otherwise, most should be under 9.2 (for now).

Reactions: Megaben99

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i buy the MH4 edition, will it be 9.2? don't i need OOT to make gateway work on the new 3DS anyway?

9.2.0-20U:
QW4013 (MH4 UE) - Confirmed
QW4012 (MH4 UE) -Confirmed
QW4011 (Monster Hunter 4 ultimate edition) - Confirmed
And yes you will need OOT or Cubic Ninja to use Gateway

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Depending on what you do, you might be asked to update when you're finishing up the setup, but nothing is forced. Just like all the drug-addicts here, just say no. It doesn't make you cool.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Depending on what you do, you might be asked to update when you're finishing up the setup, but nothing is forced. Just like all the drug-addicts here, just say no. It doesn't make you cool.

You can also delete the update nag. I wish I could say the same about my dealer; he won't leave me alone... I think it's because I'm his best customer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A bigger battery could defeat the need for weighted magnets tbf
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Nowadays pc mice come as light as can be, liked mine with some heft
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like holding girth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I also listen to Beck, some of their songs are fine. Only found out about them through Windows Me; you know, that one operating system nobody ever likes?
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...