Hacking If I buy a New 3DS XL is it likely to be >9.2?

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serial Number. You can usually tell what version the 3DS is on by the SN, unless they updated it, or its some SN no one has seen.

Well the thing is that the one I linked is from Bestbuy, so it's most likely a retailer thing where they'll ship one from the warehouse. It's the cheapest one I could find and it's in box.

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a complete crap shoot if you can't verify anything...

Issue is that i'm kind of limited here. I can only buy using paypal and it has to be black. I can't find any people who are selling a New Black 3DS XL on ebay who aren't retailers

Should I just go with a Sky3DS?

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Issue is that i'm kind of limited here. I can only buy using paypal and it has to be black. I can't find any people who are selling a New Black 3DS XL on ebay who aren't retailers

Should I just go with a Sky3DS?

With your flashcard:
Do you want to use imported games?
Do you want to use eshop games?
Do you want to use homebrew?
Do you want to use a particular version of a Zelda OOT or Cubic Ninja retail card every time before you can use your flashcard?
Do you want to change games without pressing a button?

If you answer no to all of those, get a Sky3DS.
Also, why don't buying the N3DS and waiting until you can see the FW version before deciding what to get?

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With your flashcard:
Do you want to use imported games?
Do you want to use eshop games?
Do you want to use homebrew?
Do you want to use a particular version of a Zelda OOT or Cubic Ninja retail card every time before you can use your flashcard?
Do you want to change games without pressing a button?

If you answer no to all of those, get a Sky3DS.
Also, why don't buying the N3DS and waiting until you can see the FW version before deciding what to get?

Well I already have a 3DS XL. I don't want to get a N3DSXL unless I know for sure it will be under 9.2

The only reason i'm even considering getting a New 3DSXL is so I can use Gateway on it.

Also, two questions

1. So with Gateway you have to load up a Zelda OOT retail cart EVERY time you want to use the Gateway cart?

2. With Sky3DS is there a way for me to get DLC? As in I know I may not be able to get it for free, but can I buy it from the eshop and use it on my ROM's on the Sky3DS?

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think for point 2 that will be a no....but still just get a sky3ds it works with all firmwares right now including the new 3ds but consider the banning issue so turn off the wifi !!!!

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think for point 2 that will be a no....but still just get a sky3ds it works with all firmwares right now including the new 3ds but consider the banning issue so turn off the wifi !!!!

He shouldn't pick his cart out until he buys his n3ds since it's up to firmware version.

Reactions: Kumadoken

Kumadoken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
He shouldn't pick his cart out until he buys his n3ds since it's up to firmware version.
True but sky3ds is easily the best card out there right now regardless of what firmware you have. I haven't bought a gateway to try tho... Just from my own research...

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but sky3ds is easily the best card out there right now regardless of what firmware you have. I haven't bought a gateway to try tho... Just from my own research...

The only advantage sky has is that it works on the newest firmware. Gateway is better in everything else.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Not at all. Sky3DS and Gateway are very different.
If you want to use a N3DS, as things are now, Sky3DS is a better option (because really, getting ZeldaOOT or Cubic Ninja and using it every time is a PITA).
But for an old 3DS with FW 9.2 or below GW is a better option.
If using out of region games is important for you, for example. I use a lot of japanese games, it is important for me.
And good luck playing eshop only games like Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies in your Sky3DS.
Also the possibility to install CIAs and remove the card makes it way better, the battery lasts a lot longer.

Reactions: Kumadoken

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to use a N3DS, as things are now, Sky3DS is a better option (because really, getting ZeldaOOT or Cubic Ninja and using it every time is a PITA).
If using out of region games is important for you, for example. I use a lot of japanese games, it is important for me.
And good luck playing eshop only games like Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies in your Sky3DS.
Also the possibility to install CIAs and remove the card makes it way better, the battery lasts a lot longer.

Obviously the biggest drawback that Gateway has is that you need to boot CN/OoT if you want to enter gateway mode. What people are forgetting to mention is that you don't have to turn your 3ds off. Just put it in sleep mode and it will remain in gateway mode.

The biggest drawback for sky is pressing the freaking button to change games. You can cycle through 3 or 4 games on sky before you can boot gateway mode.

sacredshinobi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well I have a 3DS XL over 9.2 but I was going to get a N3DSXL if it meant it would be on 9.2 or under so I could use Gateway

My question is, with Gateway will I need to load up an Ocarina of Time or Cube Ninja card EVERY TIME I want to use Gateway?

And what exactly is a CIA?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I have a 3DS XL over 9.2 but I was going to get a N3DSXL if it meant it would be on 9.2 or under so I could use Gateway

My question is, with Gateway will I need to load up an Ocarina of Time or Cube Ninja card EVERY TIME I want to use Gateway?

You need CN/OoT every time to boot gateway mode. You only leave gateway mode when you power off the console or leave the settings menu. Simply put your 3ds to sleep when your done with it so it doesn't leave gateway mode.

Once they release the "Mii" exploit then entering gateway mode won't be a problem

Have you ever bought a game from the eshop? Games in cia format will install like that (gateway card not needed once they are installed)

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Yes, every time.
You can always change game by going back to the home menu, and you can suspend your N3DS instead of turning it off.
As long as you do this, the battery does not run out, and the 3ds does not crash; you will not need to use ZeldaOOT again.

A CIA is something like an installation package used to install software into your 3DS home menu.
This software can be retail games, eshop games, DLCs, etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/a93F-EEw6HM?si=tUXuLXhXiWUsmIIv