• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

If Guaido is recognized as a legitimate president of Venezuela, why not Hillary for America?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 4,312
  • Replies 49
  • Likes 3

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Bro I'm not memeing on anyone - I'm actually in awe at how nonchalant you are when it comes to disenfranchising massive portions of society that you find undesirable. Mad props.
Again you're putting words in my mouth. How did I suggest disenfranchising anyone? Republicans are the minority based on voter registrations and that's a fact.

Sounds like you're advocating secession, or another civil war then.
No, all I'm saying is that the Republican party has used shady tactics to make themselves look bigger than they are for decades. Those tactics, like gerrymandering and voter roll purges, are finally having a spotlight shined on them, and once those tactics are explicitly banned, the party will quickly fade into irrelevancy. Either they'll have to completely overhaul their platform, or the Democrats will split in two.

Last edited by Xzi,

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Again you're putting words in my mouth. How did I suggest disenfranchising anyone? Republicans are the minority based on voter registrations and that's a fact.

I figure that if we can keep them hooked on meth and allow the family unit to fracture even further they won't even notice when their political agency vanishes overnight.

There's absolutely no way this can go wrong.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I figure that if we can keep them hooked on meth and allow the family unit to fracture even further they won't even notice when their political agency vanishes overnight.

There's absolutely no way this can go wrong.
They keep themselves hooked on meth, nobody's force-feeding them the shit. It's their voting decisions on a local/state level which leave them in a perpetual state of hopelessness and drug addiction. I definitely feel for them, but I can't break the cycle for them.

Demon27248

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia

No, all I'm saying is that the Republican party has used shady tactics to make themselves look bigger than they are for decades. Those tactics, like gerrymandering and voter roll purges, are finally having a spotlight shined on them, and once those tactics are explicitly banned, the party will quickly fade into irrelevancy. Either they'll have to completely overhaul their platform, or the Democrats will split in two.

And Democrats are innocent? Both parties will do whatever they can to maximise their seats in government. That's liberal democracy for you.

Reactions: Saiyan Lusitano

barronwaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
They keep themselves hooked on meth, nobody's force-feeding them the shit. It's their voting decisions on a local/state level which leave them in a perpetual state of hopelessness and drug addiction. I definitely feel for them, but I can't break the cycle for them.

I really admire people who can turn on a dime from 'bumfuck methtown' / 'cultural wasteland' to 'I definitely feel for them'.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What a terrible justification for imperialism.
Justification of imperialism has nothing to do with what I am telling you, just open your eyes, it's the way things are, wishing it didn't exist won't make it disappear. At least if you stop stubborn negation you could see the current state is imperialism mandated by Russia and China, it's not a "people's government".

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
And Democrats are innocent? Both parties will do whatever they can to maximise their seats in government. That's liberal democracy for you.
'Whatever they can' for Republicans is xenophobia and contrarianism. 'Whatever they can' for Democrats is national healthcare coverage and leaders that speak in complete sentences. "Both parties are the same" is a nonsensical argument that couldn't be more untrue. In large part, Trump is just an extreme overreaction in the completely opposite direction after keeping the first black president in office for eight years.

I really admire people who can turn on a dime from 'bumfuck methtown' / 'cultural wasteland' to 'I definitely feel for them'.
These things aren't mutually exclusive. Like I said, they've turned their states into Bumfuck Methtowns and cultural wastelands through their own local/state decisions. I still feel for them, but knowing that they've done this to themselves and continue to do this to themselves does make staying empathetic harder.

Demon27248

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
'Whatever they can' for Republicans is xenophobia and contrarianism. 'Whatever they can' for Democrats is national healthcare coverage and leaders that speak in complete sentences. "Both parties are the same" is a nonsensical argument that couldn't be more untrue. In large part, Trump is just an extreme overreaction in the completely opposite direction after keeping the first black president in office for eight years.

These things aren't mutually exclusive. Like I said, they've turned their states into Bumfuck Methtowns and cultural wastelands through their own local/state decisions. I still feel for them, but knowing that they've done this to themselves and continue to do this to themselves does make staying empathetic harder.

The primary goal of any political party is to get the candidates they want into government. Gerrymandering is done extensively in the US by both parties. If they don't when they get the opportunity to, they're only shooting themselves in the foot. Stating that one party is simply more reprehensible than the other on moral grounds is simply not true.

Say what you will about his presidency, but Trump's campaign was largely rooted in economic revitalisation, which Obama also campaigned on. There is no change in direction, things are still running the same course.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Gerrymandering is done extensively in the US by both parties.
Democrats have literally been campaigning on eliminating gerrymandering and they've successfully done so in several states already. Democrats want redistricting done by an independent mediator outside of both parties.

Stating that one party is simply more reprehensible than the other on moral grounds is simply not true.
Well we're definitely not going to agree on that. Putting aside the insane amount of moral hypocrisy from the "party of god," there's no denying that corruption in the executive branch is always way worse under Republicans. Trump's administration alone has likely had more indictments than the last ten Democrat presidents combined.

Say what you will about his presidency, but Trump's campaign was largely rooted in economic revitalisation, which Obama also campaigned on.
Trump promised everything during the campaign and delivered none of it. His administration cut taxes on the rich and that was their only major priority. Obama actually pulled the economy out of a recession caused by the last neoconservative, and now Trump is likely going to be the neocon to put us into the next recession.

Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: Heichart

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Christ...I have to look up something, and suddenly there's three pages worth of opinion that doesn't address a blatant lie in the OP. :angry: Still...better late than never:
The EU and America recognize Juan Guaidó as the President of Venezuela so...
Excuse me...about the EU...you're either pulling that shit out of your ass, or you've been listening to someone who pulled it from their ass. In either case: that statement is completely false.

In reality, the EU is (as of writing currently) still undecided. A large part of Western Europe has set an ultimatum for renewed elections to settle the dispute. The rest of the bunch (among which Belgium) wants to open negotiations without an ultimatum.
True...there's some remarkable "propaganda" going round saying how nice and decent Guaidó is. But as far as his political differences with Maduro's regime, things are pretty quiet. As for what grounds he claims the presidency...I don't know. What I do know (and probably most of you know) is that they both have strong backings from the population. That should be the reason why the country should or not change leaders. All other countries (including my own) shouldn't have a say in how they resolve it, provided they do it peacefully.

That said...if it wasn't for that, I would've thumbed you up for your analogy. It's a situation with seemingly similar ingredients:
-an election surrounded by shady practices
-the runner-up candidate having a good reason to contest the winner
-the current leader strongly accused (but not yet proven) corruption
-most of the rest of the world openly disproving said leader

Well...That settles...hmm...Wait a second... :unsure:

-Maduro won with a decent majority of votes; Guaidó wasn't even in the picture
-Hillary actually won the majority vote and thus has much higher claim on the presidency
-just...what exactly is Maduro accused of? On Trump entire books are filled with alleged crimes
-as stated earlier: the world is pretty divided on who should rule Venezuela. In the USA, every country but Russia and Israel disapproves of Trump and would rather have ANYONE ELSE leading the joint (note also that I already stated that for me personally, this shouldn't be an issue)

So...in a way, the analogy is just TOO GOOD to be usable. In other words: why the f*** are other countries faffing about forming an opinion on Venezuela? Attempting an outside coup - because really: that's what this is - should be done against the USA for all these reasons. Even without taking the economical situation into account (face it: USA's wealthfare has a much larger imprint on the world than Venezuela, as much as the poor residents of the country suffer from the mass inflation).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU