If GBAtemp had a Minecraft server, would you be interested in playing? And modded vs unmodded?

Playing Minecraft together with tempers?

• Yeah!

Votes: 33 73.3%
  • Nah!

Votes: 12 26.7%

• Total voters

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Out of pure curiosity, I was wondering, if there were a hypothetical Minecraft server that GBAtemp users could all get together and play on, would that be of interest to anyone? And if so, would you rather vanilla Java version, or modded? If there's enough interest, maybe it'd be worth looking into!

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i cant exactly play modded becuase i tried to join a server that was vanilla but was modded later and i couldn't join

i'd certainly be down though. servers surprisingly run better than my own worlds.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
There used to be a couple unofficial GBAtemp Minecraft servers. Good times. I got so sick of Minecraft back then because I played it so much, I didn't touch it again for many years, until earlier this year when I tried it out in VR. I might join and play a bit, Vivecraft is pretty fun.

Much rather modded, Vanilla gets boring pretty quick.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Edit: I forgot to post my reply to the thread first, lol.

I would only play modded, as vanilla offers almost nothing to me anymore. I have already exhausted a lot of possibilities.

This could perhaps solve the "I want to play Minecraft since months but found nobody who even remotely likes my modpack" problem if it ends up being (somewhat) modded.

Edit2: if it ends up being modded I could help with the mods as to make most people happy without taking away other people's ability to play due to the increased demand for computational processing resources (RAM/VRAM/CPU/GPU) aww nvmd, I'm only knowledgable from 1.1 to 1.7.10, and I doubt many people besides me would want an older version :sad:

Edit3: you can play modded Minecraft on Android phones. It runs pretty well even for lower-end models, like my Xiaomi Redmi 7 (not Note 7).

I'd be very picky on who I would actually play with.
On a community server?

You don't necessary need to "play" with the community - sort of speak -, but they could still "contribute to the economy" and rarely take part in the chat. I have done it in the past, and works wonders if you're overproducing something people are willing to trade for.

Other edit: also being completely separated just doesn't work. You might as well play singleplayer.
The point of servers is that you interact with others - from simple trades to giving helping hands with your own resources to help build someone else's construction -, which is also the additional source of fun for servers.

Last edited by Sono,
Reactions: Mama Looigi

1B51004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plus, my computer sorta barely runs the game (15-30 fps on a server with barely any activity in front of me, with occasional spikes) and im afraid that stuff like tree falling or new mobs would make it barely functioning or crash

besides, i still get a kick out of vanilla. my problem is that i dont have enough friends to do funny moments with, which this might solve.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When y'all say modded what do you mean by it lol

There's a pretty immense array of mods. Would probably have to avoid automation tech mods cuz they require a NASA supercomputer or strict rules to not kill server ticks.

I tend to lean towards the weird funner mods like magic, or anything that adds some difficulty.

Could start with enhanced vanilla and go from there tho. Would like to be a newer but not super new MC version. Tbh I have no idea where the mod scene is anymore.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't wanna go too crazy with modpacks. The version number would probably just be a newer one that supports the most QoL mods.

I haven't played modded MC since the like, 1.6 days. So I'd love to hear ideas from everyone else about what they'd want, to make a server with something that most can enjoy.

I just had a leftover PC that I wanted to turn into something fun and this seemed like the coolest idea.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
When y'all say modded what do you mean by it lol

There's a pretty immense array of mods. Would probably have to avoid automation tech mods cuz they require a NASA supercomputer or strict rules to not kill server ticks.

I tend to lean towards the weird funner mods like magic, or anything that adds some difficulty.

Could start with enhanced vanilla and go from there tho. Would like to be a newer but not super new MC version. Tbh I have no idea where the mod scene is anymore.

While I admit I'm one who plays with ~350mods on 1.7.10, I'd still enjoy having at least 3 or 4 mods.

While I'm pretty sure I'll get disagreed on on at least one mod, I'd say we should have at least 1 of each category.

After careful consideration, here is my list, with explaination:
  • [technical] EnderIO (or newer similar equivalent, I think in newer versions Powah is a similar alternative)
    For item and fluid transfer, electric smelters, and a few other useful but basic machines.
  • [neutral tooling] Tinkers Construct
    For making custom tools out of custom materials with some perks and modifiers (without other mods to accompany it, this is pretty much a QoL mod for alternative tool recipes).
  • [magical] Botania (don't know if it has been updated to around 1.16)
    While some people dislike it for being "complex", pretty sure it's one of the easiest magic mods with a lot of useful blocks and items. The flowers and some blocks themselves serve as a pretty good "organic-looking" decoration blocks as well.
Would really like *at least one* of these (but either way sadly increase the required VRAM requirement):
  • [decor] Chisel
    Adds a lot of decor blocks, with some even having connected textures. Just decor, no bullshit.
  • [decor] Carpenter's Blocks (or updated alternative / replacement)
    Adds in some "carpenter" blocks which you can place down, and clicking a block on it will take up the given block's texture on itself. Adds a few blocks like slopes, buttons, doors, etc.
Not necessary, don't add game mechanics, and don't negatively impact performance either server- or clientside, but still QoL mods:
  • [UI] TMI / NEI / JEI / whatever current version has its name
    It's useful for browsing recipes and faster "autocrafting" by SHIFT-clicking the button to automatically put the items from your inventory into the crafting table.
  • [UI] WAILA / whatever the name has changed to in newer versions
    Shows metadata about the block in front of you, like mining level, crop growth, fine mining progress (down to the percent), and in modded cases other useful metadata, although it's still useful to have in not-so-modded packs.
  • [QoL/performance] Fast Leaf Decay (literally has a million names for multiple game versions)
    Fast leaf decay. Fallen trees' leafs decay faster, so there will be no more leaf stumps just levitating in the air.
  • [Utility] Veinminer / Ultimine / whatever it's called in latest version
    Allows you to mine ore veins at once, dropping the entire vein as one stack. Not limited to ores, also works on trees as well. Configurable server-side to limit maximum broken blocks per veinmine operation.

only mods i would want is small Qol changes and a mod to have the old combat style

While I do also prefer the old combat style, the new combat style basically changes nothing, other than making spam-clicking discouraged. The progressbar though still helps you to know when you can actually hit instead of having to time it in your head.
Although it's still a hinderance if you have multiple enemies targeting you, but for a single enemy it's not any slower than in older versions. There are some new mechanics to try to balance out the change, like area of effect hitting for example.
Although I still understand the dislike for this change.

I wouldn't wanna go too crazy with modpacks. The version number would probably just be a newer one that supports the most QoL mods.

I haven't played modded MC since the like, 1.6 days. So I'd love to hear ideas from everyone else about what they'd want, to make a server with something that most can enjoy.

I just had a leftover PC that I wanted to turn into something fun and this seemed like the coolest idea.

1.7.10 has got a really great modding community (and it feels like there is even a separate between those who stayed on 1.7.10, and those who updated to latest), but sadly there are also some great mods which were never ported past 1.6.2/1.6.4 (although they were quite niche and/or technical).

I'd say some older Minecraft versions (1.4.7 to 1.7.10, inclusive) are better to mod yourself with your own mods of chosing (although there are still some great (but somewhat niche) modpacks), while it feels like newer Minecraft with mods is better played in community-made modpacks instead, and is much better for casual players, especially if they are new.

Last edited by Sono, , Reason: wording

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland

Well...
Me being me
I’d suggest you add that Vivecraft mod that allows non-VR players to see VR player’s arm movements

The end

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
While I do also prefer the old combat style, the new combat style basically changes nothing, other than making spam-clicking discouraged. The progressbar though still helps you to know when you can actually hit instead of having to time it in your head.
Although it's still a hinderance if you have multiple enemies targeting you, but for a single enemy it's not any slower than in older versions. There are some new mechanics to try to balance out the change, like area of effect hitting for example.
Although I still understand the dislike for this change.
yeah it's not bad for single player, i've gotten used to it there, i dont like it for pvp, everytime i play pvp i play 1.8, my main issue wasn't the cooldown(although that did suck ass and completely ruin the pvp meta) but the balance changes

Reactions: Sono

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)