if an r4i works on dsl will it work on dsi?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Dani2745, Aug 31, 2009.

Aug 31, 2009
  1. Dani2745
    OP

Newcomer Dani2745 Newbie

Australia
    Hello, I usually do R4 revolution cards but now i have been asked by a friend to do a card for there dsi. so i went ahead and ordered a r4i sdhc red pack, i know it says on the pack its for dsi/dsl/ds so if i get it to work on my ds lite will it work on my friends dsi. just so i don't have to borrow it.

2. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    all the i compatible karts will work on DS PHAT, DS LITE and DSi
    so it will WORK [​IMG]

however, if your friend had updated his/her DSi to the 1.4 firmware
    i will only say GOOD LUCK (it could work or doesn't work)

3. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States
    R4i-SDHC hasn't released a 1.4 fix yet, so if he's on 1.4, you just wasted $10-15 on a cart he can't use.

4. Dani2745
    OP

Newcomer Dani2745 Newbie

Australia
    Ok thanks... so if they have updated to 1.4v what r4 card should I order? and if that works on my dsl will it work on my friends dsi?

5. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    don't use r4!
    but if you insist of getting a clone r4 then get hyper r4i

otherwise, go grab ak2i, ezvi, m3i0 or scds1i
    they provide better supports than any of the r4 kart [​IMG]

6. josephbloseph

Newcomer josephbloseph Member

United States
    I've heard great things about the m3i zero, though I don't have any personal experience with it. I do have experience with the R4i-SDHC (red box), and I can say that as of yet it does not support DSi with 1.4 firmware. The best thing you can do is pawn it off on someone with a DS lite with no intention of upgrading to a DSi, and finding a card that already supports the 1.4 firmware. If your friend hasn't updated, and you set them up with the R4i-SDHC, and they turn out to be unable to overcome the 1.4 firmware issue, you'll effectively be making your friend choose between the flashcart, and access to the DSiWare store, as well as the facebook integration included in 1.4.

7. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    that card probably will never have an update, so get a better one.

8. josephbloseph

United States
    You know, through mid-July, they had been releasing updates at least once a month. It stands to reason that the 1.4 kernel is the reason for the interruption in their regular updates, and that as they had also been updating their non-DSi card's kernel as well, they'll probably continue releasing kernel updates for ROM compatibility issues.

9. Dani2745
    OP

Newcomer Dani2745 Newbie

Australia

yeah I'm going to keep it for my kids if it doesn't work in the dsi its working in my girls dsl. so which card should I buy that will work for sure in any dsl/dsi with out the problem of knowing if someone has or hasn't upgraded there firmware? would hate to disappoint with Christmas not to far away!

10. Dani2745
    OP

Newcomer Dani2745 Newbie

Australia
    All is good the R4i sdhc works for my friends dsi only because its her dads dsi and he doesn't use facebook. What do you guys think of the R4i Gold that works on 1.4v?

11. josephbloseph

United States
    While I don't have any experience with it, I would hope that the speed with which it was released would be reflected in the diligence with which it's kernel will be supported in the future. I would recommend looking into non-R4 solutions; it would probably be best to buy a card by a group proud to be their own brand, rather than using the R4 name. In any case, it might be helpful to wait a week or so to see if the R4i-SDHC website ends up releasing their 1.4 update, in case that would make your choice easier.

12. Dani2745
    OP

Newcomer Dani2745 Newbie

Australia
    I think the r4 sdhc 1.4v upgrade is already out just saw it on the R4i-sdhc.com. The R4i gold i ordered (haven't received it yet) says it works with 1.4v but which do you think is better R4i gold or R4i SDHC and whats the difference anyway?