Hacking If a new service update comes out...

CyborgLizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the older wii with homebrew channel, bootmii (NAND backup on computer), trucha bug and wanikokos with 4.2 system.

My questions are

1) if a new system update comes out for the wii, will it be possible to remove all of the above and update it so no one ever knew there was homebrew on it? Like maybe restore it with bootmii then somehow remove bootmii? Does restoring NAND remove the trucha bug and wanikokos?

2) if a new system update comes out with say, a game, and I really want to play that game. Is there a way to update and play it with the trucha bug and cISO's still in the system?

Thanks

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1) & 2) If a new udate is released, DO NOT update straight away, Updating will remove all your homebrew. The normal course of action is to wait until a SAFE updater is released, this usually happens very soon after the update has been released. Using the SAFE updater will not affect your homebrew in any way. In effect you will gain all the update except the homebrew damaging parts and your wii will carry on operating as it has done.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
and in most cases you won't need to update the wii to play a game that requires a higher FW to play it
smile.gif

its usually a case of install the IOS that the game requires to work

CyborgLizard

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting.

I am just paranoid of doing things to my wii that I will not be able to reverse, but it seems safe enough.

So if a new game comes out (like super smash did), there will be safe update iso's for it online?

Also, does this mean unless I get the new iso either from the game installing it or from homebrew, i cannot play the game? Or I can, it will just screw up the rest of my homebrew?

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyborgLizard said:
Interesting.

I am just paranoid of doing things to my wii that I will not be able to reverse, but it seems safe enough.

So if a new game comes out (like super smash did), there will be safe update iso's for it online?

Also, does this mean unless I get the new iso either from the game installing it or from homebrew, i cannot play the game? Or I can, it will just screw up the rest of my homebrew?

The term you are looking for here is IOS (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS) not ISO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image)

I was a bit paranoid too, but since I've been using bootmii I've felt a little bit more comfortable.

Chemodile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CyborgLizard said:
I am just paranoid of doing things to my wii that I will not be able to reverse, but it seems safe enough.There's not a whole lot you can do to your Wii that can't be reversed, provided you have boot2 bootmii, a good nand backup and maybe some priiloader hacks thrown in for good measure.

QUOTE(CyborgLizard @ May 5 2010, 10:31 AM) Also, does this mean unless I get the new iso either from the game installing it or from homebrew, i cannot play the game? Or I can, it will just screw up the rest of my homebrew?
Playing a game that you're missing a required IOS for shouldn't screw anything else up, you'll just have problems playing that game.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
u can play original discs with a cIOS and a disc loader like Neogamma on ALL wii's (even if it has a D3-2 drive)

if your IOSs are not up to date, and u try playing an original disc via the disc channel, it may ask u to update (depending on the disc and if u don't have system menu hacks enabled)

u can update all your IOSs (so that the game will play fine via the disc channel) using nus auto downloader or dop-mii

TRushInfo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CyborgLizard said:
Interesting.

If youre too paranoid then dont do it, that way we dont have to coach u blindly thru unbricking. try reading up first instead of just doing things, that way you have some understanding of what is going on.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nikeymikey said:
1) & 2) If a new udate is released, DO NOT update straight away, Updating will remove all your homebrew. The normal course of action is to wait until a SAFE updater is released, this usually happens very soon after the update has been released. Using the SAFE updater will not affect your homebrew in any way. In effect you will gain all the update except the homebrew damaging parts and your wii will carry on operating as it has done.

Generally SAFE updaters aren't very safe at all, I'd try my luck updating with Nintendo and then re-patching. Of course if you have a Korean Wii then you don't want to do that unless you've deleted the korean key.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.