If 10 Million Preorder Game for $1, Charity Loses (But Still Wins

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Indie developer Nicolas Games wants to make a splash with its upcoming third-person post-apocalyptic survival horror title Afterfall: Insanity, so it's devised an ambitious preorder system in which gamers can purchase the entire game for one dollar, as long as 10 million people preorder.

This is how it works. Afterfall: Insanity can be preordered at the Nicolas Games website for one dollar. Each dollar put down on the game will be donated to an unnamed charity, with the preorder customer having to tender $33.90 when the game drops November 25. That's assuming preorders don't reach the 10 million mark.
Should that lofty goal be met, players will receive the full game on November 25 for nothing more than the dollar they put down. That's a full game for only one dollar. It's like an iPhone game up in here. The publisher even throws in a digital copy of the game soundtrack.
There's a rather large trade-off, however, at least in charity's case. If preorders reach 10 million and the game sells for a single dollar, the charity only gets 10 percent of those proceeds. That means that if 9,999,999 copies are preordered, charity earns nearly $10 million. If just one more comes through, charity only gets $1 million. Nicolas Games will also donate half the proceeds for games sold over the 10 million mark, but still — that's a rather large drop.
It's an attention-grabbing marketing scheme, sure, but when your indie game is going up against Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, and the rest of the holiday season's huge games you do what you can.
Hit up the game's official website to read more about this compelling alternate-history post-apocalyptic survival horror joint. Who knows, maybe your dollar will be the one that makes charity cry.

Come on people it's only a dollar and your don't have to buy the game, either way your giving to charity and theres a chance you;ll get a cheap game out of it.

I don't know if this is against the rules if it is then sorry.

http://www.afterfall-universe.com/en/index

Courtesy of Kotaku

D

Deleted_171835

10 million is a hell of a lot. I doubt they'll achieve that. I'll probably pre-order, though.

D

Deleted_171835

10 million is a hell of a lot. I doubt they'll achieve that. I'll probably pre-order, though.

I'm actually the opposite of you. I think they will, considering you'd be getting the game for only $1.00.
That's not the issue, though. They have to make at least 10 million people aware of this deal and then they also have to get them interested enough to actually pre-order the game.

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm actually the opposite of you. I think they will, considering you'd be getting the game for only $1.00.

Thats what I mean as long as word gets out I think its very possible, its good advertising really, "come pre-order our game, its cheap and you'll feel good as your helping charity no matter what the outcome"

That's not the issue, though. They have to make at least 10 million people aware of this deal and then they also have to get them interested enough to actually pre-order the game.

But as I stated above its not a hard sell and you have a better chance of getting a cheap game if you tell people about it, its an incentive, either way charity gets alot, at the moment they have $12,514 which is ever closer, it can be done considering there's about a month and a half left until the games release

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

If other people like Yusuo post threads like this in other forums, that could potentially happen.

But 10 million is a lot...

D

Deleted_171835

If other people like Yusuo post threads like this in other forums, that could potentially happen.

But 10 million is a lot...
It's an entirely new game series that practically no one knows of. There are games that are much more popular than this that took years to reach 10 million units sold (COD4 took a year, Halo 3 - 8.1 million total units sold, etc.). They should have chosen a smaller amount like 1 million and if it's the money they're worrying about, change the price to $2 (or if they want to even it out, $10).

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were rich and they were to hold to the agreement, I would secretly donate whatever money they need for $10,000,000 at the last minute.

Then I would turn it around and put them out of business and sell copies of the games + soundtracks for $5 each while they are trying to sell for $30+. I would make a shit load of profit if I can sell at least %20 of the amount I bought.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has any game ever reached 10 million preorders? Very few games even reach 10million sold in their lifetimes.
As far as I know, no game has ever reached that many pre-orders. Pokemon Black and White, the fastest selling games in the PKMN series, only got to 1 million pre-orders.

How in the world they will top PKMN, I do not know.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
There's no way in hell this is going to happen, especially for a game no one has even heard of.

The game looks great, but I'm not wasting money (Yes, it's a dollar, but that dollar could get me lunch) on something that most likely WON'T happen in a million years.

Reactions: 1 person

yusuo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I stand corrected I didn't know the statistics, ok its a long stretch but your still giving to charity , its like doing the lottery but your not giving your money to some random chavs

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's ballsy but I don't see it being completely impossible.

A: It involves charity
B: It's a dollar. Even people like me who don't really give a crap about the game might pre-order it just because it's so damn cheap.

Though frankly, I somewhat hope it doesn't hit the 10mill mark, but hits the 9mill mark. I doubt most anyone would actually buy the game, and charity would get a lot of money.
It's very unlikely to hit 10mill, but at worst you've just given a dollar to charity. They're doing this through paypal as a purchase...so essentially you'll have to confirm and authorize payment for the full game when it comes, if you so choose to. If not, like I said, you gave a dollar to charity.

aand before I post.
This can't possibly be an English indy group making this game...
"On this e-mail we will sent you the game key if the action will be succeed. NOTE: Make sure three times, you have entered the correct e-mail address - we will not ask you for additional one."
Dear god thems sum bad grammars.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night