Identities of rich who hide cash offshore leaked, 32 trillion (£21tn) stashed in overseas havens

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Apr 4, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/03/offshore-secrets-offshore-tax-haven

[​IMG]

emigre, Veho and The Catboy like this.
  2. Flame

Member Flame Me > You

I'm not going to lie, I wish I was one of those guys, with a blonde bimbo wife, who has a masters in sucking dick.

Ergo, porkiewpyne, Satangel and 2 others like this.
  3. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Sounds like some Girl with the Dragon Tattoo stuff. Interesting though.

4. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I find the macro funny because I'm not a Republican, but it's a bit misleading with regards to the topic, no?

5. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think this leak will be a good thing and a bad thing, on one hand I don't like people dodging taxes.... I pay my taxes. I do however think on the bad side of this is that now that this information is public some of those people could be in even more danger than normal. (Angry tax payers possibly lol)

6. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    32 trillion...that's 32 million times a million dollars. Whoah...that means that if it gets divided evenly, every person on the globe gets over 4500 dollar (if I'm counting those huge numbers correct). :blink:

I'm mostly wondering how many people own part of this huge-ass sum. It's not like I think millionaires don't owe the money they worked for, but I somewhat doubt over a million millionaires have an account there (it's not the only financial paradise, y'know?).

How's that a bad thing? I don't know about your area, but this entire financial crisis thing is starting to see some ugly results. Jobs are being cut, unemployment goes up and governments are squeezing everything to save money to prevent countries from going bankrupt (first it was Spain and Greece, now it's Cyprus).

...and this kind of money gets left alone? No. I don't think so. If those guys were taxed even half-assed, the crisis would have been solved by now. So IMHO, it's only a good thing this sort of shit is starting to surface.

7. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    21Tr... enough to cover the US debt

8. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I read this news story and the images at the end of Sons of Liberty popped into my head...shadowy body of ultra rich controlling the world?

Densetsu likes this.
  9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I remember reading about the world's wealthiest men from like WW2 or something. I think there were 4 of them or something. Anyways the point is they all led empty lives, and I think 3 of them committed suicide. The other was mugged and brutally beaten to death. Not saying it wouldn't be fun to have literal tons of money, but there's a point where money changes you, and rots you from the inside out.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  10. soulx
    OP

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The Philosophers' Legacy...

Guild McCommunist and Densetsu like this.
  11. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    This is awful... now where are they supposed to have their lavish money fights?

This is a sad day for the world, people. A sad, sad day.

The Catboy likes this.
  12. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Greed at it's finest.

13. Dann Woolf

Member Dann Woolf Deadpan Snarker

Netherlands
    Don't we all?

14. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    As long as what they are doing is legal and it is legal I don't see the problem. I have the right to buy gold or bitcoins or park my money wherever the hell I want. I buy silver personally.

Here's a question if anyone here had any assets would you keep them in an EU bank? With counties running debts at or over 100% of GDP how long till other countries go the Cypress route and just take what they want leaving account holders with the crumbs. Most of which are small business what will no longer be able to make payroll

15. Clydefrosch

Member Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    the thing is, would it ever have gotten like that if people hadn't moved their money out of the economy? If countries wouldn't have opened loopholes and tax reductions whenever the rich started to cry?
    Of course this is illegal in pretty much all cases, 'cause it happens to avoid taxation. If more people avoid taxes, the other people have to jump in, meaning their avoiding of taxes is what makes your taxes go up. You have all the right in the world to feel angry, because these people make your life harder than it should be. Assholes don't even create jobs in return, they just don't. Do you know why? because jobs COST MONEY and they are on a crusade to save money wherever possible, to minimize their own costs and to maximize profits.

You know, money makes the economy go round. But if you take more and more out of it, if you don't have it trickle down, as it once was called, the thing starts to run dry.
    If the money isn't circulating in the economy, economy does not work. There is no invisible hand to make things better by magic, it just doesn't work.