Identifying with a vide-game/movie character....

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Ok here's the thing... People usually say, especially online (if not mostly online), if they are, for example a girl "i identify with this girly character" cause she (the player) is a female and so need to look like her in game.something like an avatar. Well OK...
They say games need more female characters to identify with females/males. Guys usually pick guys in game, girls pick girls, gays pick gays etc. They need to identify with them.

i mean i usually find traces to identify my self with a character, to feel it more personal. I never minded how characters look though, i identify with them by what they do, their human characteristics, intellect, the way they act
regardless of how they look. Something inside me needs to click with that character. Or for example i'm a guy, i don't have boobs and nice butt like ladies do, but i almost always pick girls! they are pleasant to look at and i got nothing
i can identify my self with that character for obvious reasons visually. But every character weather that's a gay character, straight, female, male or whatever character i can always identify with their personality, their philosophy,
i can find character relatable no matter the sex or looks.

i mean i never notice or care if its a girl or a boy...
So i don't get the obsession by sex/gender, looks, race, chloating etc.
I mean if a character is a shit or i find nothing relatable, than ho the fucking care about all those things?!

I say this cause i noticed that people like Anita Sarkeesian, and other people in entertainment industry and politicr push this narative how inclusion of, for this example, Females will help more girls buy video games.
I mean bullshit. Games are games, characters, as i said, are more than how they look and just because someone is a girl should play as a girl or if its a movie for girls therefor girls should be included is stupid.

I mean ofc, girls COULD be there if story need them, but demanding certain criteria and including by force, where for example in certain movies there MUST be female or gay characters cause its on check list and not because they
are needed in movie is ludicrous, and creating false need for superficial identification is more racist, sexist and homophobic imo than if there are no inclusion of said characters in there. But most of all it ruins the experience
because you must talk and virtue signal in every single entertainment media and television how that is a good thing...but they wont shut up about it and let people express freely, and accept diversity in its natural state.

I mean i remember When Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) had BUG boobs, i mean yeah they where big and you can argue logic behind it or how she cant do acrobatics with huge tits, but its irrelevant really, cause its a video game
made for fun, not a documentary or education material (i mean if it end up teaching you anything than that's a plus...), but than creator made smaller and smaller because feminists didnt like it. Couldnt identify with Laras tits.
I mean can you identify with what she does and how she is and let people enjoy her glorious tits and budd/waist? I mean if creator is pressed to make something cause he wil get that kind of backlash than thats a pretty stupid and
perverted society we live in.

When Lara was made, all of the creators where guys, so guys usually/naturally like boobs so they had fun with making boobs and so what?!
I mean Imagine if they made Lara today, and posted it online, they would be deemed sexist for doing that...instead of letting creatots be creative and expressive they need to clear some checklists before being creative.

why dont people just let others breath normally, and really identify with a character not the way character looks. There are plenty of ways to identify with a character.

As i said, i my self identify with character that i feel is connectable with me internally, relates to me in many ways not just gay, lesbian, girl, guy, black....
I mean if a character looks good or has stylish looks who the fuck cares what gender they are...

So people who say character needs to be certain type or gender to represent that population, imo dont know what they talk about and do damage to games/movies (and even the real life) reather tan helping really!

I mentioned real life, some jobs DEMAND there to be certain percent of woman on jobs or blacks, which is stupid also, its a similar story but with serious consequences.
Who the fuck cares if you have a penis if you are good at your job! many things need to be considered, not just penis (for example), and that shouldn't even be a check list, but in general list,
depending on a job and work and individual.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
In women´s novels (which btw by far is the most important genre, financially) the desired males are also presented in a way that appeals to the audience. All the complaining in the world would not lead to any changes. Let´s face and accept it: women are better at complaining.
Here is why:
When women are young, their youth alone gets them what they want. The older they get the more they need to rely on complaining to get resources. Non-beautiful women have to resort to complaining from the beginning.
When men are young, their youth is not a bonus. They either become successful through work/talent and stop complaining or keep complaining forever.

The difference is, men´s complaints have lower importance in society. Men perceive other men as competition, whereas women have more empathy towards other women. Example: Homeless man - who cares. Homeless woman - sth must be done.

All in all, there is nothing to be done about it. I also have less empathy with men. I have evolved to be this way. If you want Lara´s tits to remain big, just don´t buy certain games. I persnally don´t care about Lara Croft. I just like to talk about it (e.g. gamer-gate or when Sakurai indirectly apologized for Zero Suit Samus alternative outfits in Smash Wii U: "a woman designed them").

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well... There's something to be said about identifying with a character. I mean... I'm a tall, stand-up kind of guy. I'm reliable and always help out, no matter what situation. In the right situation, even better than anyone. In other words : I totally identify with...
... The long tetris piece B-)B-)B-)

PS for those hung up on political correctness...
My tetromino is larger than yours, biatch! :tpi:

Ahem... This isn't really a thread about identifying with characters, eh? Look... Back in the nineties video games were an emerging media expression. Audiences were still being formed, experiments were being made.

Like it or not, but things are different now. Audiences are more diverse than they were (I've heard even girls play them now. The AUDACITY! :creep:
), and they want some representation. And because game creation is also more diverse than it was (1), that as well drives some more diversity.

(1): i've got to trust extra credits on this one, as I obviously can't see it based on the game itself
I mean i remember When Lara Croft (Tomb Raider) had BUG boobs
.. I must have missed that. :P

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Why do you bring diversity into this? Games have been played by all kinds of races and sexual orientation (the latter is more or less stagnant over time in any given society). Boys have DoA Beach Volleyball. Let´s give girls 50 Shades and we will all be happy.:tpi:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)