PS1/2 Ideal setup for Hacked Ps2 In terms of Compatibility and Loading Speeds?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 12,109
  • Replies 27
D

Deleted User

OP
I haven't had my soft modded slim ps2 in almost 7 years, I am so much out of the loop now and would really appreciate some guidance finding the ideal setup and how much I should reasonably expect to spend (no games included). I would also like to confirm if a PSVR headset (in 2d mode obviously) can be used in place of a monitor via an HDMI mod of some sort?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide for me.

Regards, Noah

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look into loading games over ethernet from a raspberry pi, I hear its a lot faster than USB. Afaik, when it's all set up, it doesn't need internet access, but rather reads games from the pi using the thernet port.

Reactions: Deleted User

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, SMB is pretty easy to set up and faster (but doesn't have universally better compatibility) than USB

Depending on your console model (not 75xxx or higher) you may be able to solder a proper HDD connector, but it likely pays better to just buy a fat console

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Absolute ideal is a fat PS2 with HDD. That way you don't need to dedicate a Memory Card slot to FreeMcBoot, and you can store your games on a relatively large capacity HDD and not have to fiddle with USB or SMB. Some people opt for those cheap SATA network adapter clones. I prefer the original and using an IDE drive as intended, but that can get pricey.

D

Deleted User

OP
Absolute ideal is a fat PS2 with HDD. That way you don't need to dedicate a Memory Card slot to FreeMcBoot, and you can store your games on a relatively large capacity HDD and not have to fiddle with USB or SMB. Some people opt for those cheap SATA network adapter clones. I prefer the original and using an IDE drive as intended, but that can get pricey.

This sounds like an awesome setup. What does the IDE Drive do in this scenario? I am not so much concerned with the price provided what I get is worthwhile and isn't overly inflated. Are there any services you could reccomend for me to order a ps2 like this?

Also is there a point in having an HMDI output installed or just buying one of the ps2 hdmi adapters? Thank you for your advice above and on anything else you can tell me =).

Oh I almost forgot to ask, would an ssd make a significant different vs an hdd or would it not be worthwhile to invest in?

Last edited by ,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
. What does the IDE Drive do in this scenario?
The PS2 (or rather the network adapter, which is a PCMCIA card on 1xxxx models, an expansion bay accessory on 3xxxx and 5xxxx, and integrated on 70xxx and 71xxx) has an IDE interface, through which an HDD can be connected; officially it was only meant for use with Sony-rebranded 40 GB disks (all official software using the HDD checks if it's original, and may encrypt content to the serial numbers of disk and/or console), and very quickly software to install game backups to it was developed (first the commercial HDLoader and HDAdvance, today the homebrew OPL)

You can use a SATA disk too by buying a conversion card to install inside the network adapter (avoid 3rd party "network" adapters because they are inaccurate clones, and almost invariably actually lack Ethernet), but remember APA (the partitioning scheme used on the PS2) gets quickly very inefficient with large disks (not a problem if you only use the HDD with OPL, but it is with pretty much any other software)

Also is there a point in having an HMDI output installed or just buying one of the ps2 hdmi adapters?
If you mean cheap dedicated converters that plug directly into the console (or similiarly cheap RCA to HDMI kits), use them only if you really are out of other inputs (even then, the better solution is to buy a TV made of real glass ;) for next to nothing)
A quality upscaler (OSSC, XRGB, etc) is another world... but comes at a premium

Closet Nerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can use an ssd in a ps2.

I use a fat ps2+hdd setup using Open PS Loader.

When I wanted to try new games i'd take my hdd+usb adapter, open WinHIIP and transfer the games.

Was pretty fun time but the games don't hold up well even with good component cables. I still play old madden.

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@LonelyPhantom There is no HDMI mod avaiable at the moment, citrus3000psi is working on a solution though.
The best deal is to get a well shielded retrovision cable with a good YPbPr to hdmi converter that cost together with an ET113 ~75$ or with a retrotink ~135$ (The ET113 mady by AverMedia is the best I used so far but won't upscale 240p to 480p so PS1 games probably won't work well if you use an HDTV and it filters the signal a little less so it might have some noise with black images but 480p and especially 1080i look really good, retrotink lacks sharpness with YPbPr and only supports up to 480i but upscales 240p well).

D

Deleted User

OP
@LonelyPhantom There is no HDMI mod avaiable at the moment, citrus3000psi is working on a solution though.
The best deal is to get a well shielded retrovision cable with a good YPbPr to hdmi converter that cost together with an ET113 ~75$ or with a retrotink ~135$ (The ET113 mady by AverMedia is the best I used so far but won't upscale 240p to 480p so PS1 games probably won't work well if you use an HDTV and it filters the signal a little less so it might have some noise with black images but 480p and especially 1080i look really good, retrotink lacks sharpness with YPbPr and only supports up to 480i but upscales 240p well).

I see, If I were to use one of these for an Hdmi output, do you think the PSVR headsets could be used as a substitute monitor? I ask because the PSVR headset seems to work with most hdmi out capable devices as is, and while I do have a hacked ps4 I could use them on, the process for launching custom ps2 games and the compatability leaves much to be desired...

Thank you for your advice =).

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183759306452

Could anyone please weigh in if $110 for the "Best Fat" Model with the Genuine Sata Adapter upgrade is a good deal? I am assuming I would need to buy my own expansion bay+hdd still, unless there is anything else required that is not included in the listing (besides controllers and power cable which the seller already mentions).
It's probably cheaper to buy everything separately.
Sony adapter (IDE, Ethernet/line): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...-with-true-network-inferface/32856908591.html
SATA upgrade for the Sony adapter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-ADAPTER-FOR-PS2-FAT-V1-0/32809586287.html
OR
3rd party adapter (IDE or SATA, no Ethernet/line): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eas...-2-Fat-Game-Console-SATA-HDD/32991772533.html

FAT PS2 consoles also have better backwards compatibility, but only if you use CDs (either original or backups with a modchip or the "swap trick"). Also, a few PS2 games are not fully compatible with the slim models that lack the original IOP.
You'll also need either a memory card with FreeMCBoot, or a SATA/IDE to USB adapter (or connect the HDD directly to your computer, if possible) to install FreeHDBoot.

If you don't want to buy another PS2, consider using DVD-Rs (either with a modchip or ESR-patched ISOs) or use a Raspberry Pi or clone. You'll probably need a memory card with FreeMCBoot or a modchip, though.

Last edited by nastys,
D

Deleted User

OP
It's probably cheaper to buy everything separately.
Sony adapter (IDE, Ethernet/line): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...-with-true-network-inferface/32856908591.html
SATA upgrade for the Sony adapter: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SATA-ADAPTER-FOR-PS2-FAT-V1-0/32809586287.html
OR
3rd party adapter (IDE or SATA, no Ethernet/line): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Eas...-2-Fat-Game-Console-SATA-HDD/32991772533.html

FAT PS2 consoles also have better backwards compatibility, but only if you use CDs (either original or backups with a modchip or the "swap trick").
You'll also need either a memory card with FreeMCBoot, or a SATA/IDE to USB adapter (or connect the HDD directly to your computer, if possible) to install FreeHDBoot.

If you don't want to buy another PS2, consider using DVD-Rs (either with a modchip or ESR-patched ISOs) or use a Raspberry Pi or clone. You'll probably need a memory card with FreeMCBoot or a modchip, though.

I should have calarfied that I do not have a fat ps2 currently and when I did have q hacked ps2 it was so soft modded slim. I really want to avoid using dvd's, I like keeping things digital to save space and know they wont break.

Another concern is that installing the Ide adapter+data upgrade is that if soldering is somehow involved I definitely will not be able to do it. That is why I figured the ebay listing would be a good deal as it handles the installation issue for me and procuring a working fat ps2 of the desired model.

At that point it seems all I would be missing is the internal HDD but it does not look like the seller has any in stock =(. If I did go through him would I be able to easily install the hdd when it arrives or is it more technical? I installed a 2TB Ssd on my hacked ps4 just a few days ago without any troubles so it it is anything like that then I guess I will be fine buying and installing the hdd myself.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I should have calarfied that I do not have a fat ps2 currently and when I did have q hacked ps2 it was so soft modded slim. I really want to avoid using dvd's, I like keeping things digital to save space and know they wont break.
Then use a Raspberry Pi or clone (or a PC), or get a FAT PS2. USB should work but it's the slowest option.
EDIT: you can probably use an Android device instead of a Raspberry Pi/PC.

Another concern is that installing the Ide adapter+data upgrade is that if soldering is somehow involved I definitely will not be able to do it. That is why I figured the ebay listing would be a good deal as it handles the installation issue for me and procuring a working fat ps2 of the desired model.
It's solderless, look at the pictures.
Alternatively, you can get the cheap 3rd-party one (if you don't need Ethernet/line).
EDIT: PC IDE-SATA adapters should work if you use a 2.5" HDD.

Last edited by nastys,
D

Deleted User

OP
Then use a Raspberry Pi or clone (or a PC), or get a FAT PS2. USB should work but it's the slowest option.
EDIT: you can probably use an Android device instead of a Raspberry Pi.

I meant to say I don't have a slim anymore either. I think for the sake of conveneince I am just going to use this guy's service since I know nothing can go wrong. I am just so busy and exhausted irl, been managing this remodeling project on my house for almost nearly 5 months now I can't handle much else at the moment =(.

As far as the hdd goes, does it matter if it is 2.5 or 3.5 and do I need the expansion bay or is the IDE+SATA and the expansion bay one in the same?

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
not necessarily.
you can download a browser 2.0 hdd image with (or without) freehdboot preinstalled and load it to the hdd, that's how I got mine working.

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As far as the hdd goes, does it matter if it is 2.5 or 3.5 and do I need the expansion bay or is the IDE+SATA and the expansion bay one in the same?
The description mentions both 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs, so both sizes should work. Since the seller upgraded the original adapter, I wonder if the original IDE stuff is included (in case you need it). You should ask the seller anyway.

not necessarily.
you can download a browser 2.0 hdd image with (or without) freehdboot preinstalled and load it to the hdd, that's how I got mine working.
You need to connect the hard drive to the computer somehow, that's why I said "or a SATA/IDE to USB adapter (or connect the HDD directly to your computer, if possible) to install FreeHDBoot."

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
You need to connect the hard drive to the computer somehow, that's why I said "or a SATA/IDE to USB adapter (or connect the HDD directly to your computer, if possible) to install FreeHDBoot."
oh, I read to quickly and didn't noticed the second part. my apologies.
yeah, I was talking about not necessarily needing a freemcboot memory card (or any mod at all for that matter).

D

Deleted User

OP
I have settled on buying one of the fat ps2s from the ebay link provided along with the other relevant supplies needed from amazon. It looks like his other 6 in stock sold out awfully quick shortly after I posted the link here, I ended up getting his last one in stock =).

I want to thank everyone again for all of your help! I am going to request a mod close this thread now.

Reactions: nastys

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM