[idea]- Wii message application" ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MertenNor, Jan 26, 2010.

Jan 26, 2010
  1. MertenNor
    OP

Member MertenNor GBAtemp Regular

Norway
    woops forgot to finish the title.. can someone change it to "[idea]- Wii message application" ? Thanks

hey..

I get messages on my Wii quite often.. but I dont see wen I get a message on the Wii because I have my comp in another room..

so I came over this idea to make a application that tells you if you have a new message on the Wii.. a application that just have a simple interface so you can easily see if you have a new message ore not..

a way of doing this is..

the Wii connects to the internet via your router to get the new message.. so that means if the Wii is "online" wen you have it in sleep mode you have a new message.

so if the application tries to connect to the Wii via IP like every 30 sec it wil know wen it have a connection ore not. so

no connection = no new message.

connection = new message.

what do you think ?

MertenNor

2. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    That's all fine and dandy if you want to have your wii on 24/7.

3. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    i have never once gotten wii mail that was worth reading... but maybe some people would want this feature... but like beegee said... the wii would have to be on 24-7

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I don't think it'd work that way

First of all: the wii can go online without receiving messages.
    And it probably receives messages faster than a second, so the 30 secs refresh is too slow.

The way I can see this working is by checking the mail address of the wii itself, without even using the Wii.
    Thats probably a little more realistic.

@beegee7730 and xflak40: thats the point of WiiConnect24, always being online [​IMG]

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    the connexion is done regularly, message or not.
    You can't based the detection to Wii connecting to internet only.

So, there are 2 ways of doing it (which I'm thinking for the moment, maybe more is possible) :

1)
    What can be done is detecting the presence of an unread message and send somthing to the computer, by the form of an email (if the Wii can send email while sleeping, seeing it can receives), or a specific data transfered to a resident software on the computer side, which show an alert when it receives the given data.

So a homebrew, working with WiiConnect24 while the Wii is in sleep mode.
    You give an email to alert when a new message is available. or give computer IP+port.

Now, all is needed is understand how a homebrew can work in background while the Wii is in sleepmode.
    no homebrew is using this, right ? do we know how that work ? can we use it or is it only accessed by the System menu ?

2)
    Put a background process on your computer to sniff packets (like Etheral, or pcap) on your router to detect incoming mail and show an alert dialog window when you are on your computer.
    This is only to detect incoming Data tranfered, not only connexion to mailbox (as it's done regularly, while contacting Nintendo servers for mail/news/weather/etc.)
    Downside :
    - reading all incoming packet will slow down your connexion, even if you filters packet with only a destination to Wii IP.
    - Will only detect if the computer is ON, and the software reading incoming data.

I think the best one would be a Wii homebrew working with Wc24 mode. (the 1st choice)

6. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    i'll ask again, does any1 actually care about wii mail? it sounds like a lot of trouble for something that maybe 5 people would want to use...

If someone wants to work on it, as always I encourage them... but still, seems like a lot of work for a small payoff (but sometimes just working on a project like this is fun all by itself... so w/e)

7. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Yeah, I'm more for the fun of it, than the help it can provide. maybe it will help 1 people only, it's enough for a reason to do it [​IMG]
    I often work for myself, internet website, functionality etc. available to other people which ends that I'm the only user, but how care if it helps me, I'm fine.

unfortunately I can't work on it myself (I would have loved, as a personnal project), but I'm not good enough in C.
    So I'm giving ideas if someone else is interested.

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I'd probably use it
    To check when there's a new update and stuff (Although I'd probably notice it from here faster anyway [​IMG])

But I'd never ask someone to create it

9. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I think it would be a waste of time myself. That being said if no one has done anytihng like this, it's worth some sort of POC imho.

But is there not another way to redirect mail to the pc if the wii is going through a router (I've no idea) ?

10. MertenNor
    OP

Norway
    bump.. [​IMG]

MertenNor

11. vashgs

Member vashgs GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You'll have better luck catching the message packets on your network. You'll never get a program running on your Wii in sleep mode. Best of luck to you, though.

12. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    Then wht's the use of the blinking blue light for

13. wilsoff

Member wilsoff GBAtemp Regular

United States
  14. MertenNor
    OP

Norway