Idea to get rid of gateway red card?!

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by s-arash, Nov 6, 2014.

1. s-arash
    OP

s-arash GBAtemp Regular

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    create emunand, update it to the latest version , launch DevMenu .3ds file with red card and install Dev menu .cia file, dump emunand from sd card , flash nand with dumped emunand

as the result we must have 3ds with devmenu and the latest firmware and we can run everygame we want by converting .3ds to .cia and etc....

what is your idea about this method guys? does it works or i'm wrong?

2. kutteke

kutteke GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2014
    Belgium
    I'm not sure but i tought emunand could not replacethe sysnand. Someone else will probably be able to tell you why :)

3. pedrobarca

pedrobarca Banned

Banned
    Jun 17, 2013
    Might work, but there are three problems:

If you have DevMenu in a certain version installed, you can't install a higher version of DevMenu with it. Meaning youre stuck with DevMenu 2.3.4 at the moment. This version might not be able to install .cia files of newer games.

Second, there are not many games in .cia format "released". This might change now. Afaik there is no way to convert a .3ds file to .cia.

And third: If you update your 3ds, it might be possible that DevMenu gets deleted. Hasn't been tested yet, though.

4. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ GBAtemp Fan

Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Would be Nice if someone can Test this :)

5. Gadorach

Gadorach Electronics Engineering Technologist

Jan 22, 2014
    Canada
    Canada
    For converting .3DS files to .cia files, refer to my signature.

As the EmuNAND is actively patched to remove checks, and allow for the system to run modified executables, you MUST run some kind of patching software in order to run this special software. As a result, you must have the Gateway RedCard inserted at boot of your Gateway mode in order to use Gateway's CFW.

If you wish to not use Gateway's CFW, simply refer to the 3DS Palantine Setup Guide in my signature. The CFW is still very young though, so don't expect it to be as good as Gateway's CFW just yet.

ztoben and laurorual like this.
  6. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    It doesn't work like that, Gateway doesn't patch NAND files. Well, not most anyway... it modifies something during firmware update since the latest emunands wouldn't work when directly flashed to a 3DS, plus people were ending up with non-functional 3DS after updating on Gateway mode without being on emunand.

7. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
  8. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    It won't work and could possibly brick your 3DS. There is no knowing if the emuNAND gets patched permanently to accept bad tickets or if it is patched only in RAM. Best case scenario is it will delete the bad ticket titles. Worst case scenario is the hashes on the 3DS sysNAND will cause the bootloader to fail and give you the BSOD. If you feel adventurous then make sure you have a 4.x backup!

9. Shinitai

Shinitai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2013
    Uruguay
    Well if you have a NAND mod to flash, you probably have one to reflash as well.
    Just sayin'.

10. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    There is no use trying. The whole reason we can't flash CFWs to the console in the first place is because they have to be digitally signed by Nintendo. When you speak of flashing this new emuNAND back to the console, you fail to realize that it is running in a virtual environment where many of these signature checks have been switched off, and many of the features you see, such as pressing select to pick a ROM or support 0-encrypted .cia files are patched on the fly in the RAM by the virtual environment.

Once you put this "fancy emuNAND" back to the console, it stops being fancy, because you lose the virtual environment. And if you want to hardcode the changes into the emuNAND - again - you're out of luck because you'd need to digitally sign this firmware. ACTUALLY, I do believe that as of 9.x Gateway DOES actually make edits in the firmware itself, not just in the environment, and IS running its own patches in the firmware. As you may guess from what I've said so far, yes, this does mean that the modified firmware no longer has a valid Nintendo digital signature, so - no - it would not work if written back to the console.

In fact Gateway's modified firmware HAS been written directly to the console by accident a few times -- with disastruous consequences. <- THIS is what you'd get if you tried flashing a modded firmware to the console. A black screen on boot.

I believe that what this means is that as of 9.x and on, GW is indeed starting to make edits in the firmware itself. In the past people getting their consoles bricked and not having a backup of the original 4.5 could still flash their emuNAND back to the console. This meant permanently losing the ability to use GW but at least you had a working console. If GW is now modifying 9.x firmware, this will no longer be a Plan B. And people would do well to remember that the FIRST THING you do when booting into GW mode is to back up their NAND.

11. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Yeah I realized that after I posted but got sidetracked and forgot to edit that out.

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Someone did. Dev Menu shows up but doesn't launch. (Note that this was with the 4.5 CFW but it won't work with GW either)
    It's unlikely that this will ever work, we would need a bootloader exploit first. We can't patch the NAND directly, as the bootloader would then refuse to load it since it wouldn't be signed/encrypted correctly. It's a similar thing as BootMii on Wiis. Old ones can install it on boot2, because an exploit was found in the boot1 bootloader that was later fixed.

That is unless of course we can get our hands on the NAND keys. Not likely to happen, since they are console unique.

13. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    DevMenu still shows in the sysNAND since the data is still on the SD card. It does for anyone that has installed the one Gov leaked.