[Idea] Softmod compatible checker

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by riahc3, Jan 9, 2010.

Jan 9, 2010
  1. riahc3
    OP

Member riahc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey

I was thinking today (after a topic about a softmod that I was trying) why doesnt anyone release a program that checks the version of the Wii, the IOS is they are patched or not, etc etc and actually give a recommendation on what ruther mods to do (use the Indiana Pwnz method then (or "just") patch the IOS, etc) so you at least know what is missing or what is wrong or what else you can do to your Wii.

It acutally doesnt do anything except that; Checks several places to see what is up with your Wii and the homebrew scene

2. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    One word "Signcheck"

3. riahc3
    OP

United States
    Looks nice but something a bit more "in-depth"

4. riahc3
    OP

United States
    I ment it as a example of what I was talking about.....not as a literal option but thank you for pointing it out [​IMG]

5. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Checking if a wii is "Softmod Compatible" (in its literal sense) would be mostly useless. All wiis are capable, even a fixed boot1, boot2v4 wii with a D3-2 drive and 4.2 installed. Such a wii will do everything except bootmii as boot2 and burned DVDs.

As mentioned above, Signcheck is the most used tool for IOS listing. Bad news is it's buggy.

Pimp My Wii can test and recommend things like IOS updates. Dop-IOS MOD can show boot2 info.

One thing we can't do that would be helpful is using software to identify the DVD Drive Chipset. The only ways to find if you have a D3-2 are trying to read burned games, or taking the wii apart and looking at the controller. Maybe we could have an app that uses the serial number to do a look up on the Wii Drive DB (http://www.wiidrives.com/list). It won't be perfect, but it'd be better than nothing.

6. riahc3
    OP

United States
    That last thing is a good suggestion. Combining PimpMyWii and Dop-IOS MOD's checks with your suggestion would pretty much OK everything. And the chipset cant be ID'd with software?

7. CasperH

CasperH Newbie

Didn't waninkoko wrote an application for checking which drive revision you have?

8. techboy

United States
    I thought he did, but can't seem to find it. Either way, when it was released, I recall people arguing about it being inaccurate.

If someone can dig it up, I'll try it on my wii and see what it says. Drive DB lists mine (an LU312) as having a D2B. I have no plans though on taking the wii apart to verify it.

9. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    such an app would never be suitable for all people. if somebody who wrote it didn't mind fakesigning all the IOSes, they could make an app that recommended cIOScorp. likewise, if the person that wrote that program didn't want to fakesign any IOSes, it would keep a lot of stuff from being able to get installed.

it is a much better idea for people to quit being stupid and blindly installing stuff on their wii without knowing what it is that they are doing and why they are doing it. i say somebody writes a program that just displays this shit on the TV screen since people are not able to read it from the computer screen.

10. riahc3
    OP

United States
    The application would be made for ALL wiis. Doesnt matter what you did or did not install.
    The only thing it needs is that you can access (or boot) the HBC.

11. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    You dont understand. There is no "right" setup for a Wii. Everyone has needs/wishes unique to them. Having an app telling you what to do means that everyone who runs that app gets the setup that the developer of the app thinks is right. If someone is too n00b to work out for themselves what to install, they should not be messing with invasive System Mods. If n00bs blindly install whatever a particular app, or guide, or whatever, tells them, they have no idea what they're doing, they aren't getting what they need/want, and if something goes wrong they can't fix it. It is MUCH better for people to do a LOT of research in the various tools and software available and decide for themselves what they want/need to install and its up to them to do so wisely and carefully. This is why I disapprove of "softmod guides" and things like SoftMii.

12. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i didn't say all wii's. i said all people.

if i write the program, it will have all the shit that is in my wii. obviously this will work on all wiis (except the bootmii shit).

but it will NOT work for all people.my wii does not play burned games from the disc channel and some people want that. and i have stuff set up on my wii that allow my to do a lot of stuff that does a lot of stuff that most people would have no idea about. some of my stuff will very easily brick the wii. not everybody needs, or wants, the nifty stuff that i have.

and now assume that da_letter_a writes the magic program.
    every IOS will be the exact same thing. i will have 50 copies of the exact same cIOS in my wii and even have IOSes needed to play korean games. again, this will work for every wii. but honestly, i don't care. i don't want every IOS to be replaced by a cIOS. and i don't need to be able to boot korean games.

13. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    @giantpune:
    I want that stuff [​IMG] [​IMG] gimme gimme haha

14. techboy

United States
    Such an app would not be "useless", but like sifjar said, there is no "Correct" setup.

Maybe it should simply ask the user what he wants to be able to do when he's done (options such as "Run backups from Disc Channel", "Watch DVD Movies", "Play games from USB HDD", "Play backup/pirate VC/WW", "Protect against Bricks", etc.), and tell him if his wii can do it, and what software he should be researching to accomplish it. They'll still have to figure it out with research (or "Trial-and-brick", as the many posts on here show).

I can't remember how many times I've helped people uninstall CORP after realizing they don't need it.

15. riahc3
    OP

United States
    Your wii would say

Plays backups: No

While another person's Wii which does will say

Plays backups: Yes

16. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Actually, I read about IOS on the WiiBrew wiki. Long before I ever installed anything I read about all the stuff necessary (in those days Twilight Hack, HBC installer and DVDx installer) and worked stuff out myself. I read instrctions for Twilight Hack and setting up Homebrew Browser and that was all the "guide" I followed. Well, actually, tbh I didn't follow it, my brother installed HBC, I setup HBB though. Anyway, I didn't follow any guide about IOS or anything, I just read the wiibrew wiki pages and worked it out.

17. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Yup, same here. WiiBrew and HackMii was all I needed. "Hacking" shouldn't be something that every stupid Noob can do based on a Guide. You should know what you're doing all the time, and not follow brainless some Instructions. Spending time on the research, get to know how all this works is always the best choice. This way, you also won't have problems, because you know what you're doing, and in the end the Wii isn't filled with useless (cIOS)CRAP. At least I knew always what I'm doing, took the risks, and for that I got a perfect hacked Wii, which fit my needs perfectly.

18. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Anything that gives you information is a guide, so even Wiibrew and Hackmii are.
    The only way you could've possibly NOT used a guide, is by doing research on the Wii itself (aka hacking it without using ANY site giving info).

I myself tried to build a guide which gives more info than the other guides, but it seems I failed miserably.
    All people from this site (and probably others) just follow the simplest guide (xzxero's in this case), then probably use mine to get their Warez Launchers.
    And thats not what its made for, the warez launchers have been included for the "Complete" part, not to tell people how to get/use them.

But since people don't seem to care about that, I'm going to remove all warez related stuff, so all those pirates have nothing to seek on my site, and so people like SifJar can't call it "EPIC FAIL" anymore (yes I saw that)
    I've already started with this, and I'm not going to change my mind. [​IMG]

Eventually, I'm going to add translations so there's at least some use for it.
    And more people will be able to edit it.

19. nikeymikey

Member nikeymikey Waiting for SALT to rescue the Wii U Scene!!

United Kingdom
    hey tj_cool i and probably many others fully support u and the CSG. I myself have used it a few times when modding friends wiis, just to be sure nothing goes wrong.
    Sure i originally used zxzeros guide, but urs has much more detail and explains everything for different system menus.
    As for warez, come on this site is full of it, even the front page regularly lists new scene releases for the wii and ds/i. So when people come into these forums and moan about warez, piracy or whatever else the wanna call it, its just hypocracy (yes i know its spelt wrong). In my experience almost everybody has used pirated material of some sort, wether it be a old vhs, a cd, a dvd, whatever.

I mean Shit i started when i was about 10yo with pirated amiga games from an old bloke at a car boot sale, he was there every week and u could ring him midweek and tell him the games u want and hed have them ready for the weekend boot sale. I guess what i am saying is Piracy is rife all over the world, always will be.

If you dont tell peeps where to get "Warez Launchers" then someone else will.

Anyway rant finished now lol