Hacking [Idea] Map of users who would be willing to help others install CFW on 11.4/11.5 Systems

Do you think this is a good idea? I would like to hear your opinion

• No, this is a bad idea period!

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • No, Tempers might share too much information which could lead to BIG problems

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Maybe?

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Yes, It would be a way to help others on 11.4/11.5

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, over the past year and a half, i have installed CFW on more 3DS's than i can count. I don't do it for money or anything in return. I just like to help other people. That being said, i have been thinking for the past few weeks, "how many people in my state or region are stuck on 11.4/11.5?" and, "I wonder if i would be able to help them."
I thought, if there were enough people who like me, would be willing to help others, what if we got a map together of people who would be willing to meet up with other people (IN A PUBLIC PLACE with wifi ) and use DSi transfer to install CFW on someones 3DS. Of course, the two people could agree on some form of compensation for their time willing to help. The DSi game is not free.

That all being said, I know there could be major problems to this ranging from people not being interested to FEAR of meeting with a total stranger and possible endangerment of ones self. I know it could be very scary. That's why I wanted to get your opinion on this. Is this a cool idea or a VERY BAD one.

If this idea were to work (which it may very well won't) I thought the page would be structured as so...

• Joey Fedorawittz
  • Temper #420
  • Justin Trudeau's Second Cousin

• Some Cosplayer

I also wanted to account for those who are willing to do it by mail and not wanting to meet someone in person.

So what do ya'll think? Is this a bad idea? Is there some way to improve this? Should it be simplified to just the mailing portion?

Last edited by Stephano,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're a nicer guy than I, @Stephano. I recently hacked a 11.4 N3DSXL and you would have to kidnap my future firstborn child to get me to do it again. Maybe it's easier the second time, but it was a huge, time-consuming PITA.
That was the whole reason why I mentioned compensation. I'm aware of the length of instalation. Just ask @Acrux. (that was a nightmare) it can be fast or long depending on Internet speed and the temper with the hacked 3Ds would have to do some work in advance before the meet up. That's why I'm looking for criticism. Thank you for yours. :)

Last edited by Stephano, , Reason: misspell

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't something like this done for the Psp? I think it's a great idea. It'll lower the amount of bricks that pop up after a major update and you'll make friends. Who knows, maybe there is a temper around the block.

Reactions: Stephano

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't something like this done for the Psp? I think it's a great idea. It'll lower the amount of bricks that pop up after a major update and you'll make friends. Who knows, maybe there is a temper around the block.
That was my exact thinking. For systems like the PS3 that require certain hardware to mod, the is a list of users willing to do or by region. So why not do something similar with DSI transfer?

smichal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I've had an ad on a local forum some time ago, where I did it for a negotiable fee.

I always let the other person know of my methods and sources, and that everything involved was free and made by the community.
I even offered to guide them if they wanted to do it themselves, but most people (that contacted me at least) don't want to mess with that stuff on their own.

Sometimes I'd accept stuff (like a used wiimote) instead when someone said they couldn't afford it.

Long story short, I'd be interested, but as someone else said not "nice" enough to do it for free since it takes several hours of my free time, and it's not something that I particularly enjoy.

Of course I understand that the community members who made and distributed these tools also dedicated their own free time and I respect that,
but it was their choice and I assume they all had their own reasons for doing it

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@smichal its totally understandable if someone would help for a fee. We all have lives and activities we want to pursue. Plus if you have to drive to help, then that's already some lost money. So negotiation of a fee is completely justifiable.

@Jhynjhiruu Of course I would. :rofl: That was the original plan. The only problem here is that the world is too big. Finding a temper close by willing to help is like finding a needle in a hay stack. But if even one person can get help, than it might be worth it.

Jhynjhiruu

Trophies
XP
Country
@smichal its totally understandable if someone would help for a fee. We all have lives and activities we want to pursue. Plus if you have to drive to help, then that's already some lost money. So negotiation of a fee is completely justifiable.

@Jhynjhiruu Of course I would. :rofl: That was the original plan. The only problem here is that the world is too big. Finding a temper close by willing to help is like finding a needle in a hay stack. But if even one person can get help, than it might be worth it.
Well in that case, I can do installs for the South-West of England. And the rest of the world, just the postage will be expensive.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to help people locally with this when DSiWarehax first became a thing on 11.2 (still have field runners and LoE installed now). I enjoyed doing it just to help but I quit for a few reasons:

1. People are appreciative at first, then they become demanding. These hacks require a legit eShop purchase, a good amount of time making backups, and another 7 days to do a reverse system transfer (if applicable) so no one loses their NNID.
2. People are impatient. Those that aren't familiar with these hacks want them done in the blink of an eye. Expect a lot of calls/e-mails. "Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?"
3. They expect YOU to pay for the DSiWare. Really? It's like $5
4. If I told them I needed those 7 days to get my NNID they were agreeable at first, but when time came I was holding their console "ransom". Or would tell me to just make a new one (Um, no?)
5. I expect them to be present while I'm doing it. One so they know the process and two, so they know how to use what I'm installing. Had plenty just want to give me the console and go ghost. I wouldn't mind if I was being paid, or they didn't come back two days later asking what this is, and what that is.. etc.
6. Most were kids/young adults that had no transportation and wanted me to drive to collect/deliver the consoles.
7. I barely even got thanks yous. Just grabbed the consoles and went about their business.

To this day I still have this guy sending me PMs because I hacked his system for him (Last November I might add) and instead of using GBATemp, Google, ANYTHING he would rather message me. Even though I included a PDF with instructions on the programs, where to ask about them and how to update them. My experience with the whole thing was people took advantage or felt entitled to something I was doing out of kindness. So I quit. A few of them were genuinely appreciative, but most of them were just taking advantage. Never again.

Last edited by Majickhat55,

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to help people locally with this when DSiWarehax first became a thing on 11.2 (still have field runners and LoE installed now). I enjoyed doing it just to help but I quit for a few reasons:

1. People are appreciative at first, then they become demanding. These hacks require a legit eShop purchase, a good amount of time making backups, and another 7 days to do a reverse system transfer (if applicable) so no one loses their NNID.
2. People are impatient. Those that aren't familiar with these hacks want them done in the blink of an eye. Expect a lot of calls/e-mails. "Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?"
4. If I told them I needed those 7 days to get my NNID they were agreeable at first, but when time came I was holding their console "ransom". Or would tell me to just make a new one (Um, no?)
5. I expect them to be present while I'm doing it. One so they know the process and two, so they know how to use what I'm installing. Had plenty just want to give me the console and go ghost. I wouldn't mind if I was being paid, or they didn't come back two days later asking what this is, and what that is.. etc.
6. Most were kids/young adults that had no transportation and wanted me to drive to collect/deliver the consoles.
7. I barely even got thanks yous. Just grabbed the consoles and went about their business.

To this day I still have this guy sending me PMs because I hacked his system for him (Last November I might add) and instead of using GBATemp, Google, ANYTHING he would rather message me. Even though I included a PDF with instructions on the programs, where to ask about them and how to update them. My experience with the whole thing was people took advantage or felt entitled to something I was doing out of kindness. So I quit. A few of them were genuinely appreciative, but most of them were just taking advantage. Never again.
Thank you for your criticism. You brought up a lot of issues such as age and patience. If this idea is to exist, then everything you mentioned above would VERY much need to be considered.

I haven't really had anyone be unfgrateful but not everyone is the same I guess.
If they make me purchase the game, I would just say "find someone else."
As for the 7 days thing, if you have a backup NNID, then one could purchase the game on that. I have a several 3DS with backup NNIDs just in case. Although I do know not everyone does.
I have a lot to think about. Thank you! :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Later today, I will make a mock page of what the "Official Thread" will look like and take more input from there.

Reactions: Majickhat55

LongDongSilver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to help in this. I used to mod 3ds for super cheap like 10$ but I moved my prices up because doing it so cheap brought me some of the most ungrateful and disresepctful people in my area. Even still when i tell people 11.5 is 5$ more expensive some of them freak

D

Deleted User

i used to do this for my friends so if this becomes a thing i would do it (assuming the other person has a precharged extra o3ds battery since i cant charge mine anymore)

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia

This is exactly my experience! As soon as someone pays for something, their expectations get very high. I don't mind doing it as favours for friends, because when you're doing a favour for someone they are usually grateful for it and don't mind if you take your time, and it promotes friendship.
If you asked what the trouble was actually worth then nobody would pay. I think I would ask at least $100 for the trouble of doing it and putting up with the customer but of course no one would pay that. I did it once for $20 and once for $40 but I felt like I really earned it hard. Don't want to do it again.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. I didn't (and still don't) mind doing it for my nearest and dearest but randoms on the internet expect so much for so little. I think the most I ever charged someone was $60 and 1/3 of that went towards priority shipping both ways (I wasn't about to pay for that) plus he didn't buy the game so I had to use my profit money -$5 right there. I even sacrificed my NNID for him so he wouldn't have to wait another week. I had his console less than 3 days, and he was already basically telling me he feels ripped off and like he wasted time. Mind you, after costs I only made about $35 and typed an extensive guide, installed plenty of Homebrew, even injected a few VC games he wanted; point is, I went above and beyond.

I go to send the thing back, it's in the mail on it's way and he proceeds to tell me he forgot to give me his apartment number. So the package ends up being delivered to his complexes office, they can't figure out where it goes, so they return it to the post office. It took me hours to convince him HE needed to call his local post office and ask them to hold it before it was returned to sender. I got so many "fuck you's" along the way and I was just trying to help someone and make a little something for my time.

fast forward a month or so, and here he is on facebook asking me how to update luma, why his homebrew isn't working etc etc. I blocked his ass.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. I didn't (and still don't) mind doing it for my nearest and dearest but randoms on the internet expect so much for so little. I think the most I ever charged someone was $60 and 1/3 of that went towards priority shipping both ways (I wasn't about to pay for that) plus he didn't buy the game so I had to use my profit money -$5 right there. I even sacrificed my NNID for him so he wouldn't have to wait another week. I had his console less than 3 days, and he was already basically telling me he feels ripped off and like he wasted time. Mind you, after costs I only made about $35 and typed an extensive guide, installed plenty of Homebrew, even injected a few VC games he wanted; point is, I went above and beyond.

I go to send the thing back, it's in the mail on it's way and he proceeds to tell me he forgot to give me his apartment number. So the package ends up being delivered to his complexes office, they can't figure out where it goes, so they return it to the post office. It took me hours to convince him HE needed to call his local post office and ask them to hold it before it was returned to sender. I got so many "fuck you's" along the way and I was just trying to help someone and make a little something for my time.

fast forward a month or so, and here he is on facebook asking me how to update luma, why his homebrew isn't working etc etc. I blocked his ass.

Yikes dude, that really does suck. If i end up making the thread, i'll try to explain to people you need help that they will need to be patient and respectful to those helping as well as DOING THEIR OWN FREAK'N RESEARCH ON 3DS HOMEBREW. That i do understand. Not a single person that i have helped with their 3DS except one ( @Acrux ) had done research on 3DS homebrew (@Punk-Rocking-Nerd , I know you are reading this. Do some research or at least try to understand this, please!)

Last edited by Stephano,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It might not be so bad if the only service you provided was loading the save on your console and transferring it across, and let them work out how to install it when they received it back. I'd probably be happy doing that for $10 with them paying for postage and the DSiWare game. This way you aren't dealing with any troubleshooting and they can't demand that everything works perfectly, because it is up to them to set up their console the way they want it.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It might not be so bad if the only service you provided was loading the save on your console and transferring it across, and let them work out how to install it when they received it back. I'd probably be happy doing that for $10 with them paying for postage and the DSiWare game. This way you aren't dealing with any troubleshooting and they can't demand that everything works perfectly, because it is up to them to set up their console the way they want it.
Very true, that probably would have gone over better to be honest. Sometimes I go overboard trying to please people and it bites me in the ass. Lol

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: :whip: