[idea] make Kodi for Wii U homebrew launcher.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by baselhamad, Jun 12, 2016.

1. baselhamad
    OP

baselhamad "F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Bethlehem, West Bank. Palestine
    Hello everyone, i have an idea for Wii U, since the Kodi is opensource, coders and programmers can make it like @dimok and the other's, who's with me?

Here's the source of kodi: http://github.com/xbmc/xbmc

I hope you guys like this thread

2. fukseliten

fukseliten GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2008
    Norway
    This has been talked about a few times now.
    The old PPC commits of XBMC needs ALOT of work to run on the wiiU + you need IOSU to access USB and full system monitoring.

It COULD happen , but its quite a way down the line.
    (and yes , i would love it)

3. baselhamad
    OP

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    yes, you're right, but did you think that you can make it ELF file for Homebrew Launcher? there's no need for IOSU Exploit, or if there no connection for Homebrew launcher, then we need IOSU.

4. fukseliten

fukseliten GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2008
    Norway
    go for it

5. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    I take it you're not a developer correct? It would take entirely too long for us to explain to you in non coding terms why you can't do this for HBL simply by compiling the source code.

You haven't given us anything new by posting the link to kodi source code. Kodi is the new name for XBMC. It's been around for over a decade now. It started out as Xbox media player and was designed for the classic xbox. Later changed to Xbox Media Center (XBMC). After the hardware of the classic Xbox couldn't handle the newer video formats (like HD) the developers made it open source. It continued as XBMC for over 10 years and was ported to almost every OS and streaming device out there. It only recently (in the last couple of years) was renamed to Kodi because it has nothing to do with the Xbox anymore.

Why the history lesson? Because the tone of your thread post suggests you are looking for recognition for a new idea. A simple search of the forums would have revealed to you that this has been discussed at length in the past.

Kodi has been and will continue to be compiled for new devices every day. I run it on my phone, my PC, my ouya, and my ipad. But no, you can't compile it to elf format for Wii u.

6. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    as much as i love both kodi and xbmc there is no reason to try and put them together, the CPU doesnt have the specific instruction sets for hardware decoding of video performance wouldn't be the best and it'd never be able to handle newer stuff like HEVC x265 so there's really no point. just spend the $80 on a fire tv.

7. baselhamad
    OP

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    why not? it's great idea, i get the idea from my dad because he have Kodi on ipad, but he want it on television, but i'm in palestine, which i can't buy a device that haves Kodi support :( so i thinked that can the coders do Kodi for Wii U and i hope to get amazon fire tv stick

Last edited by baselhamad, Jun 12, 2016
  8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    You didn't read my post did you. Oy Vey

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@jefffisher just explained why not.

Ok so in your case buy an apple TV and mirror your iPad to TV. I'm not going to try and rationally explain this to a kid.

Last edited by Kafluke, Jun 12, 2016
  9. cots

cots GBAtemp Fan

Dec 29, 2014
    United States
    How about Kodi for the 3DS or at least some sort of decent video player?

10. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I think we'd be better off porting Movian than Kodi. Movian has ppc support and already runs on PS3

Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    A big no no on here is tagging Devs in your posts please refrain from doing it in the future as all it does is piss off the devs.

12. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    it wouldnt bother me "if" i was a dev , you'll find most devs like to help... :)

brienj likes this.
  13. brienj

brienj Trying to avoid getting cancer

Jan 3, 2016
    United States
    I don't care if I'm tagged ...

QuarkTheAwesome likes this.
  14. QuarkTheAwesome

QuarkTheAwesome Working for Hugs

Apr 19, 2015
    Australia
    Stuck in the PowerPC
    I don't care if I'm tagged. I don't bite.

brienj likes this.