Hacking [Idea] .3DS rom Downloading vs. Freeshop - Speed Test

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A common argument here on GBATemp is the speed and dependency when it comes to pirating 3DS titles. On one side of the spectrum, there's .CIA installing, and on the other, there's loading .3DS roms through Gateway/Sky3DS. Friendly little sprawl between the two, yes, yes. The only problem here is that there's no definite answer to which is faster due to the fact that everyone supplies rough estimates.

What I'd like to invoke here is a classic speed test between the two, to finally put everything to rest.

Now, ever since freeShop came to the scene, it has been praised by many as a new safe way to install .CIAs directly from your console without the need for a computer. There's nothing like this for .3DS roms yet, but each side has its pros and cons.

Pros for .3DS include - "Scene" releases, Unrestricted Download Speed, Takes full advantage of home internet, and Plug n' Play
Cons - Requires a computer with an SD reader as well as an μSD adapter itself

Pros for freeShop .CIAs include - Taken straight from Nintendo's servers, undeniably safe, efficient, requires no computer at all
Cons - Limited download speed due to 3DS's generally poor network capacity.

So, essentially what the speed test should entail is; how long it takes to download a .3DS file and transfer it to an μSD card and how long it takes to download a game from freeShop. Naturally, the test would be done on the same games and such. And finally, it should be fairly timed.

I could always do this myself, but if I were to do such a thing, I'd require proof and validity, and due to my limited equipment, it's not something I could easily provide. That's why I'm throwing this idea on the table, in hopes that perhaps someone might just pick it up and try to test it for themselves.

If it comes down to it however, I am indeed interested in this, and if I do partake in this, I'd be more than happy to share how it went.

Anyways, cheers!

Last edited by CreAtor135,

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
in my experience (i didn't exactly time it though) dling+installing a CIA is way quicker when it's a file of 1+GB at least. i used freeshop to download a 2GB game a while back. it took hours. and my 3DS was in the same small room as my router is too. i don't use freeshop a lot though. maybe the servers were especially slow that day.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my experience (i didn't exactly time it though) dling+installing a CIA is way quicker when it's a file of 1+GB at least. i used freeshop to download a 2GB game a while back. it took hours. and my 3DS was in the same small room as my router is too. i don't use freeshop a lot though. maybe the servers were especially slow that day.
Well I suppose it doesn't have to be freeShop to represent the .CIA side, and instead a regular .CIA downloaded and installed through FBI/BBM/devMenu/etc. as long as either side has a fair matchup, for example a small game which would obviously be a hands down win for the .CIA side, then any method is fine.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't fair to compare freeshop with a .3ds download from a pc... To be fair, .cia files hosted on gdrive or mega downloads at full speed in just secs or a few minutes, just like any hosted .3ds file. The only downside is that you have to install the .cia file, but you know, safe online play and no need for private headers is an insta win at least for me.

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It isn't fair to compare freeshop with a .3ds download from a pc... To be fair, .cia files hosted on gdrive or mega downloads at full speed in just secs or a few minutes, just like any hosted .3ds file. The only downside is that you have to install the .cia file, but you know, safe online play and no need for private headers is an insta win at least for me.
I responded to something similar earlier, and you're definitely right, I only included freeShop because it's a standard at this point. But freeShop doesn't have to represent the .CIA side. And also, the argument at hand is purely speed, nothing more nothing less.

W4T4R1

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Freeshop downloads manage 2mb/sec for me, which isn't bad imo. Be nice if it was 9mb/sec that i get on usenet but 2mb is fine.
Is your a New3DS? Because i have an Old3DS and my download speed doesn't go over 750 kB/s, although my internet speed is 40 Mb/s (confirmed with other devices)

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I responded to something similar earlier, and you're definitely right, I only included freeShop because it's a standard at this point. But freeShop doesn't have to represent the .CIA side. And also, the argument at hand is purely speed, nothing more nothing less.
I know, that's why i mentioned the two faster and most used host sites used for hosting .cia files.

Suicuark

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
Well i've just tried romfs editing 2 days ago, i converted a .3ds to a .CIA the 3ds was 2 GB the cia 1.74 so i'd say 3ds is bigger. If an cia and a 3ds started downloading same place at the same speed , cia would won but , cia need to be installed , 3ds is not so i'd say 3ds won the race with difference of small minutes...And by the way free shop on an old 3ds would be slower than 3ds,but eshop download (ciangel or tikdevil :) ) may be faster

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're comparing somethings g that uses wifi and Nintendo servers, which are normally slow, to something downloaded via Ethernet connection (for most people)? Of course downloading a .3ds will download faster depending on your host.

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not like the point of this is which is better for use. What I'm gauging here is which allows you to play the game faster.

There is too many factors to get an accurate answer so this question can never be answered. It's a bit of a cheek tho concidering your getting the games for free so does it really even matter?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: got a mig switch here, freshly smuggled in from China