1. 4,016

Front-page
    153975-1297098-1803d245466dc95c390463450ad31-article-image-bd-1-article_m-2.jpg

DOOM Eternal will soon get an update to patch out a previous update from last week, which added in a form of Denuvo for anti-cheat measures. Following the addition of the anti-cheat to the PC version of the game, fans began to review bomb Doom Eternal on Steam, demand a refund, or show their disappointment across social media. The anti-cheat also appeared to introduce new bugs to the game, with many reporting performance issues and rampant crashing that would render the game unplayable. Publisher Bethesda mentioned that they were looking into the source of the update's performance problems.

A few days later, id Software's executive producer took to Reddit to announce that due to the instability and performance issues, a new v1.1 update would be issued soon to players on PC. According to the developers, Denuvo anti-cheat was added as an update to prevent cheaters from taking over the game's online BATTLEMODE and because "players were disappointed on DOOM 2016" for not including an anti-cheat closer to launch to combat hackers online. After the negative response to the new anti-cheat, id stated that they would be removing it from the game in the impending update, though they claim that the performance issues were not related in any form to Denuvo, instead attributing the problems to a new code change made to VRAM allocation, which will also be fixed with the patch.

Currently, there is no date for the release of the v1.1 patch.

:arrow: Source

2. Discussion (43 replies)

3. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    Angry mob wins again

4. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    I'm so glad I didn't start playing this game this week with this shit.

Angry mob with a legitimate point of objection I'd say considering that Denuvo Anti-Cheat is a rootkit, and that, after SF5 tried to implement this (and supposedly was removed in a subsequent update) and that Valorant did the same thing, I can legit forsee this thing becoming a new normal with PC ports considering that it's always about "MUH PIRACY PREVENTION" when people literally commented that shit like this gives pirates a better experience than paying customers!

Alternis, MushGuy, AlexMCS and 11 others like this.
  5. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    They didn't exactly have a choice but to fix this disaster, what with a DRM-free (and mostly issue-free) version of the game floating around on the net. Guess I'll once again plan on buying it once it's cheap enough, assuming this patch thoroughly fixes things.

Oh, and it goes without saying, but fuck Denuvo regardless of which form it takes.

Last edited by Xzi, May 21, 2020
    SS4, AlexMCS, Snintendog and 8 others like this.
  6. Sasori

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Took em long enough

7. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    I don't have these problems with GzDOOM and Brutal DOOM.

8. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Do you even know why people didn’t this?

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    had absolutely nothing to do with performance issues. people were bitching because they couldn't cheat. kiss battlemode goodbye than hackers will take over that glad i dumped this game so early.

Last edited by Bladexdsl, May 21, 2020
  10. Mythical

Mythical GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Seems like a big waste of money to me. What was even the point if you released it without it? It's not like it made your game seem more secure to investors by waiting to add drm like this

Snintendog and MarkDarkness like this.
  11. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Yeah...not all of us play DOOM for multiplayer. There's probably other alternatives for the arena shooting genre that are better in the multiplayer department and don't require installing a fucking rootkit to Ring 0 of your Windows installation (and probably Linux if you're using Steam Proton, couldn't say for sure, though) to "prevent cheaters, piracy, and whatever else masks our true desires and sounds reasonable to normies."

12. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

United States
    It feels weird calling them ID Software. It's more like the pod people who reside in the place of ID Software who have long since bailed ship.

Snintendog and jacobas92 like this.
  13. grey72

grey72 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Valorant where you at?

14. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Denuvo Anti-tamper = DRM. This is meant for preventing people from cracking the game and pirating it.

Denuvo Anti-cheat is for preventing cheating. In this case, it's suppose to be for multiplayer. Though for whatever reason, you need to run this sketchy anti-cheat driver even if you are playing just single player.

15. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Gee, what did Bethesda think, that garbage Denuvo would benefit users? :lol:

Installing a kernel-level driver? How could I refuse!?

16. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    So people are mad that they made it so you can't cheat? Or that the anti cheat made the game not function well? I'm confused. :blink:

(This is probably why I don't play bethesda games)

17. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

You're thinking of anti-tamper in regards to performance.

The issue with Anti-cheat is that it's a kernel mode/ring 0 driver, which means that it has full access to your system which has created concerns about privacy, stability and security.

You also need it just for single player, so even those who don't care for MP like myself would be forced to install it.

I heard it also broke the game for Linux.

See above.

18. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Well that certainly makes more sense, I wouldn't want that on my system either. I may not be using linux, but that's still bad it not only breaks your game, invades your privacy. :blink:

19. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    Denuvo anti-cheat is still going to be in the game, but it'll only activate when you play multiplayer. Right now it's turned on even if you're just playing single-player, which is pointless unless they were planning on adding in MTX.

20. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Finally someone with a little common sense, I detest cheats, I think they're pathetic, but the issue here is the retroactive addition of what in most other situations, would be referred to as a rootkit. Unfortunately, tackling cheating is a perpetual, costly affair, more so without resorting to these measures (but they could have announced it at the very least before launch, not slip it in after purchase).

Last edited by yoyoyo69, May 28, 2020
  21. grey72

grey72 GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    You're feeding a braindead troll mate, don't bother

Silent_Gunner likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - backlash, Software, Eternal