id Software delays 'DOOM Eternal' and announces 'DOOM 64' for other platforms

doomed.PNG
Your quest to slay demons has to wait a little bit more. In a new tweet today, id Software announced that they are delaying DOOM Eternal to March 20, 2020, stating that the game needs to “live up to our standards of speed and polish” and that they are "confident that DOOM Eternal will deliver a gaming experience that is worth the wait".

The company also took the opportunity to make a few other announcements like the free Invasion Mode update allowing players to enter other player's game as a playable demon and also that the Switch release date for DOOM Eternal will be after March 20.

Additionally, they also announced that the classic title DOOM 64 will launch not only on the Nintendo Switch but also on Xbox One, PS4 and PC and will come as a free pre-order bonus for DOOM Eternal.

:arrow:SOURCE

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Doom 64 will still be released on November 22nd?
Or will it also be moved to March?
I was really looking forward to Doom 64 alone, but oh well :/

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't Doom 64 kinda hated when it came out?
AFAIK, no. The only issue was the system it was released on. Playing it on the trident controller took too much work for some people.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Companies devaluing switch ports left and right.
They'll probably make it cheaper on other consoles just for kicks
"Devaluing".. or just doing what everybody wanted and releasing it on other systems? Such a snooty attitude to have... Exclusives suck, and I'm glad they're not doing it. Especially on a title that old.

Last edited by Kioku,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, more love for DOOM 64! Sweet! This is how you delay a game, lolz.

I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that apparently Doom 64 wont be released to the platform until March 20th according to that post as well... I get that Eternal has some work still needed to go into it. But what could possibly cause DOOM 64 to be delayed so long as well? Unless that post just got the release for Doom 64 wrong, and its coming much sooner, which I could see being the case. But as it stands, it's pretty lame that 64 is so long away.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd agree if it weren't for the fact that apparently Doom 64 wont be released to the platform until March 20th according to that post as well... I get that Eternal has some work still needed to go into it. But what could possibly cause DOOM 64 to be delayed so long as well? Unless that post just got the release for Doom 64 wrong, and its coming much sooner, which I could see being the case. But as it stands, it's pretty lame that 64 is so long away.
Eh, I can understand being bothered by what is effectively double delay, but TBH I'm not irked by this.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I can understand being bothered by what is effectively double delay, but TBH I'm not irked by this.

But if they're giving us Doom 64 as a preorder bonus, why not actually give it to us as a preorder item (that is to say pre-release date of Eternal)? Giving it to us on the day of Eternal's release is pretty pointless, I can tell you which of those 2 games I'll be playing that day and for quite some time after, and it ain't 64.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But if they're giving us Doom 64 as a preorder bonus, why not actually give it to us as a preorder item (that is to say pre-release date of Eternal)? Giving it to us on the day of Eternal's release is pretty pointless, I can tell you which of those 2 games I'll be playing that day and for quite some time after, and it ain't 64.
No offense, but good for you? Either way you slice it, they're giving you content for free. Would I like to see DOOM 64 before then as something to tide people over? Certainly, I remember being excited getting my GameCube Ocarina of Time disc that same day when I pre-ordered Windwaker. But if this is how they want to do it, then this is it. It doesn't seem absurd or egregious, so I'm not bothered. If people want to be upset over something gaming-related, there's better choices (like Activision-Blizzard).

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
AFAIK, no. The only issue was the system it was released on. Playing it on the trident controller took too much work for some people.

There was also the fact most Doom ports back them were terrible and the Nintendo 64 wasn't as popular as it should have been.

Even people who had it mostly played the Nintendo exclusives.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No offense, but good for you? Either way you slice it, they're giving you content for free. Would I like to see DOOM 64 before then as something to tide people over? Certainly, I remember being excited getting my GameCube Ocarina of Time disc that same day when I pre-ordered Windwaker. But if this is how they want to do it, then this is it. It doesn't seem absurd or egregious, so I'm not bothered. If people want to be upset over something gaming-related, there's better choices (like Activision-Blizzard).

No need to be a tool about it. I'm just not pleased with this route. If they're giving Doom 64 as a preorder bonus, make it an actual preorder bonus, that's my opinion, not a day-of bonus. I'd get so much more use out of Doom 64 as a game arriving before Eternal than as a game arriving on the same day. I like that it's free, but it ultimately seems like a dumb move giving it on the same day, when giving it earlier would get so many more people to get considerably more mileage out of the release.

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the only games I want to play, but, don't care. I can wait. I know for a fact I'll enjoy this game. Can't really say the same for Cyberpunk 2077..which I also really want to play.

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to be a tool about it. I'm just not pleased with this route. If they're giving Doom 64 as a preorder bonus, make it an actual preorder bonus, that's my opinion, not a day-of bonus. I'd get so much more use out of Doom 64 as a game arriving before Eternal than as a game arriving on the same day. I like that it's free, but it ultimately seems like a dumb move giving it on the same day, when giving it earlier would get so many more people to get considerably more mileage out of the release.
IDC if you think I'm being a tool or not, but if you read between the lines, you'd see that I agreed with you. The DOOM 64 situation here just doesn't bother me. That's it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this why Microsoft briefly delisted it last night and promptly put it back? Causing my preorder to get refunded? Oh well. Money will be on cyber punk 2077 instead.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There was also the fact most Doom ports back them were terrible and the Nintendo 64 wasn't as popular as it should have been.

Even people who had it mostly played the Nintendo exclusives.
An unfortunate truth. Doom64 is definitely one of my favorite Doom titles.

Reactions: FateForWindows

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, I dont mind releases. but just look at the spyro trilogy.
They just sold that on switch and now they almost gifted away for a humble bundle.
Loads of indie ports on switch end up there for pocket change too.

Knowing how this goes, the switch version is probably going to be buggy too

"Devaluing".. or just doing what everybody wanted and releasing it on other systems? Such a snooty attitude to have... Exclusives suck, and I'm glad they're not doing it. Especially on a title that old.

Vinceherman

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
awww man I booked my last 3 days holiday last week to play Doom Eternal end of November, that sucks...........

I've been playing Doom 1, 2 & 3 through on Switch recently; replayed 2016 a while back aswell.. so I am eagerly looking forward to it coming out......

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.