I'd like to know if I can ask for help regarding a secret project...

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I know, it sounds kinda selfish (and maybe it is), but please read me out for a couple of paragraphs.

I need to create a NSMBW mod to propose to my girlfriend. BAM! No spoiler alert.
Here's the not-so-lenghty explanation. She's not into games, but she loves NSMBW. We always played together, and when we reached the game's natural conclusion, I started downloading mods to prolong its life (and our fun). And so I thought "what if I create a mod, and at the end I pop the question?"

I imagined the story already: Wendy O. kidnaps Luigi to force him to become her husband, and Mario and Peach go to the rescue. At the end of the game, instead of Bowser, our heroes will find the room filled with friends and enemies, and a big-ass wedding cake. At that point, to Peaches's surprise, Mario kneels down and pops the question (I even wrote to Charles Martinet – Mario's voice – to ask him to help me out, but he never replied :( ). There are of course a thousand more features I've thought of, but I don't want to annoy you (yet...).

I've already tried asking for help in the RVLution forum, and while a lot of people showed up offering support, the thread has been to my surprise shut down, and the mods never bothered to reply to my requests of explanations :hateit:

There are a tons of things I'd like to talk about for this project, but first I need to know if I could create this sort of thread here at Gbatemp.
Would it be possible?

... Please, one person at the time :rolleyes:

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not to sure about if it is possible, but there is a program on the NSMB hacking forums provided that perhaps can help you with it on the DS... SKJmin did something, but I'm not going to be very explicit in my post as its quite illegal.

lampdemon

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want something simple, look up "Reggie NSMB editor". It should be easy enough to use, just make a level, pack it into an iso, and run it off a usb drive.

I don't know if it supports any of the features you want as I have not used it in years.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
No no, I know all about the Reggie Editor, I've already played a bit with it. What I was looking for was for a place to gather help with features I would never be able to create by myself – such as character special animations (e.g. Mario kneeling down), cutscenes (Luigi being kidnapped), feedback for my levels (it's my first time building these things), and suggestions in general.
I'm not exactly building a Death Star but, giving the purpose, I want to create a beautiful thing. And I was hoping the community would lend me a hand – and I know I'm asking a lot...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No no, I know all about the Reggie Editor, I've already played a bit with it. What I was looking for was for a place to gather help with features I would never be able to create by myself – such as character special animations (e.g. Mario kneeling down), cutscenes (Luigi being kidnapped), feedback for my levels (it's my first time building these things), and suggestions in general.
I'm not exactly building a Death Star but, giving the purpose, I want to create a beautiful thing. And I was hoping the community would lend me a hand – and I know I'm asking a lot...

Scripting in new animations could be tricky. You'd probably have to dig around for people that have enough experience with the game to easily do something like that. There might be other ways to do it. I haven't really touched the NSMB games, but if they have any cutscenes, it might be easier to replace a cutscene with something you want and have it triggered at the end of a custom level. If you line it up right, you could make it look ingame, it might have a slight pause before it actually plays, though. Sorry I'm not more help, not really in my area of experience.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There is a fan game for the PC called Super Mario Bros. X. With the easy level editor you can make the game look like SMB3 or SMW. Plus you can do pretty much anything in it. Even scripting.

It is very neat, but it's not NSMBW (the game my girlfriend and I play together) :(
Scripting in new animations could be tricky. You'd probably have to dig around for people that have enough experience with the game to easily do something like that. There might be other ways to do it. I haven't really touched the NSMB games, but if they have any cutscenes, it might be easier to replace a cutscene with something you want and have it triggered at the end of a custom level. If you line it up right, you could make it look ingame, it might have a slight pause before it actually plays, though. Sorry I'm not more help, not really in my area of experience.
That is the problem, I have no expertise either...
I realise the right please for this type of projects would be the RVLution forum but, as I said, the admins closed the thread :( I was hoping the Gba community, as big as it is, would have someone with this kind of skills.

Maybe I should just create the thread and see if the admins are ok with it? Or maybe I should create a thread for every class of features (cutscenes, animations, testing, etc)?

I guess I'll open the new thread and see what happens then...

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
If she's not really into games then, despite liking this one particular game, she might not respond too well to being proposed to via a computer game. I don't think it's really the average girl's idea of a romantic gesture.

cloudfe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If she's not really into games then, despite liking this one particular game, she might not respond too well to being proposed to via a computer game. I don't think it's really the average girl's idea of a romantic gesture.

I would normally agree with you, but this is different. My girlfriend and I don't share many hobbies, and this is something we can easily enjoy together. She'll love it, trust me ;) (as long as I find the help I need...)

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
I would love to see how this works out. There's a video where someone did this with the SNES game I believe and wrote will you marry me in coins

I would normally agree with you, but this is different. My girlfriend and I don't share many hobbies, and this is something we can easily enjoy together. She'll love it, trust me ;) (as long as I find the help I need...)
Mine is the same and I know she would have loved that too

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Exhausted but happy lol