I'd like to "brick proof" my Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by be9ine, Nov 30, 2008.

Nov 30, 2008
  1. be9ine
    OP

Newcomer be9ine Member

United States
    So I'd like to install Starfall to essentially "brick proof" my Wii, but before I do, I'd like to get a couple of clarifications:
    So my existing setup is as follows: V3.3U, 0.3 gamma (and whatever cIOS that os required to run it), Twilight hack to allow Homebrew channel, which is beta 8, btw, and DVDX. Now, everything is running smoothly, but I'd like to get starfall installed and ready to go, but I believe I need to first downgrade my Wii to do so. My questions is, do I need to uninstall any of the aforementioned items before I do so?

2. M31Supernova

Newcomer M31Supernova Member

United States
  3. be9ine
    OP

Newcomer be9ine Member

United States
    Thanks for the reply. I think I may just try and risk the downgrade, with the existing elements in tact.

4. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    I think you should be fine, I'd go ahead and Downgrade

5. djtaz

Member djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Ireland
    What else are you planning on installing in the near future ?
    To be honest , i have seen this type of thing end in tears too many times.

Your wii works - let it alone until bootmii comes out - dont install anything untested and confirmed untested ... or even not confirmed as working 100% and only posted on places you know and by people that can be trusted.
    Messing about with downgrading - especially when your using HBC 8 and god only knows what else could very easily lead to a nice working system making you cry quite a bit
    Wait for BootMii to be released , then mess all you want.

That being said - if you still going ahead , use BIG MOE's guide here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/qx7gk0 with the thread here : http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118399

6. be9ine
    OP

Newcomer be9ine Member

United States
    Thanks djtaz, I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Sort of "If it's not broke, don't fix it". I find myself installing allot of VC and Wii Ware titles, and I'm paranoid that some day I'm going to install one that is going to screw something up.

7. snikerz

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    I recently downgraded to 3.2 with AnyRegion Changer. I was scared as hell while the downgrade ran, but after it finished flawlessy, everything ran perfectly. I feel a bit safer now due Starfall [​IMG]

8. CIJC

Member CIJC GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I downgraded to 3.2 recently aswell [​IMG]

Everything is perfect with starfall - no more brick risks

9. screamq3

Member screamq3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i wonder when bootmii be out:D

10. vegeta4ss

Member vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

United States
    this is funny, i'm in the same boat with all you guys. Who wants to go first?, lol.

I've installed starfall on a wii, but it wasn't my wii. It was a friends who had brought it over as a 3.4 system. My personal system is a 3.3Uv1 and i'm on the fence about the starfall install. I just dont want to have a possible issue happen during the downgrade, but I guess I need to just do it already. These new elf forwarders are cool but they have me worried almost as much as unconfirmed wiiware rips, so unless savemii is coming out before year's end I'll have to go ahead and roll back to 3.2.

Can one of you elder members maybe drop some knowledge on me about wiiware/vc/forwarders and the chance of them actually bricking if coming through a known good source? Maybe I'm all worried for nothing? I usually get wads from only this site or wiiso. And I tend to stay away from that "first week brick wave" when new findings hit the scene. So maybe i'm cool to chill until savemii comes out?

11. PhoneGuy

Newcomer PhoneGuy Member

United States