ICS on windows XP

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ediblebird, Jan 23, 2007.

Jan 23, 2007

ICS on windows XP by ediblebird at 3:30 AM (707 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ediblebird
    OP

Member ediblebird GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    So im trying to set up ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) on my windows XP PC. I need the help of some intelligent person to tell me how to change the hosts IP address from 192.168.0.1 defualt, because my router uses that IP address, and i cant change the routers IP address.

I think it has something to do with the registry on the computer, becuase i found out how to do it on windows 98 and ME, but not in Win XP

2. Azimuth

Member Azimuth Chicken Teriyaki Boy!

Canada
    not really good with xp, but i think you just gotta switch the ip from dhcp to static, then enter the ip address you want for the host pc

3. ediblebird
    OP

Australia
    nah, already tried that. ICS specifically wants to use 192.168.0.1, no matter whether its static or dhcp

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Okay dumb question time from me: why are you trying to use ICS? ICS is an alternative to using a router, they're not supposed to be used together. So you can by-pass it completely by just connecting both computers to the router.

(to answer your original question, http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/ implies that you can't change the host's IP address)

5. Katalyst

Member Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

United States
    I think he's trying to use them both at the same time. Which is very possible. I'm actually doing it right now (I'll take a look at my setup in a few and report back). I've got a router supplying this box with a 192.168.0.x IP and I've got a second NIC in the same box that ICS's to my consoles.

EDIT: Alright, my mistake. The router by default is actually 192.168.1.x Therefore ICS still has sole control over 192.168.0.x in my setup. [​IMG] So yeah, looks like if you can't change the IP the router gives out, you're outta luck. Although, I've never seen a router that gives out 192.168.0.x by default [​IMG]. It's usually not set to that range for this exact reason.

6. ediblebird
    OP

Australia
    yeah my routers a bastard, thanks for the help anyway guys

7. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Now that makes sense, I'd assumed he was sharing between PC's. Don't mind me [​IMG]