Homebrew RELEASE IconGrabber - Custom game icons & Theme Teaser

vos3464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Uh. I'm not sure how you thought that will work. The image does not set the size of your game icon. The theme does. Adding a wide-screen image (hero) or logos (which are often transparent) won't work. Also, there are restrictions in filesize, mimetype and resolution that have to be met.

Unless you have a direct plan how to successfully implement it, it probably won't happen. Sorry
I didn't mean using heroes and logos as game icons. I meant being able to use heroes as a dynamic background on custom themes for example.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I didn't mean using heroes and logos as game icons. I meant being able to use heroes as a dynamic background on custom themes for example.
I don't believe that's currently possible, there are concept themes but there is no real implementation of such themes.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, no. Thats not possible. I mean it might be if one would for example generate ips patches on the fly but im leaning myself very far out of the window here. IIRC the switch does not update the theme if you change stuff programatically. Im not sure whom i had a conversation about this with but it was very apparent that this probably wont be happening ever.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dynamic backgrounds sound like something that could only feasibly be done with a custom home screen replacement app. We've seen early versions of those but I think they'd need to mature more before supporting this kind of feature and being ready for everyday use.

Reactions: Slluxx

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dynamic backgrounds sound like something that could only feasibly be done with a custom home screen replacement app. We've seen early versions of those but I think they'd need to mature more before supporting this kind of feature and being ready for everyday use.
Didn't ulaunch do that? I forget it's been so long since I tried it and it just caused loads of headaches, shame as it had promise

Reactions: hippy dave

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Didn't ulaunch do that? I forget it's been so long since I tried it and it just caused loads of headaches, shame as it had promise
Yeah. Ive had too many problems with it too.

Had my own go at it once, but never completed it
mq2.jpg

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah. Ive had too many problems with it too.

Had my own go at it once, but never completed it
View attachment 303275
Is that with default you by adding a custom pane or something?
Ive been trying to add another lhud to. A certain pane but that's using already functioning panes

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by binkinator,

Powky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve set up IconGrabber correctly and API key is correct but I get a “no game found” when I try to search by game or by keywords search.

Any suggestion?

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Slluxx yes looks like before and normal!
WTF who is doing this?

But now I can reach out to you I would like to ask you, can we get a
IconGrabber 1.5 (or whatever) with the new GUI and easier icon setting?

DANKE 😍
Thank you 😘

Powky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That means there is no custom icon on steamgriddb for that game.

Yes there is, I have searched on SteamGridDB myself the games I was searching and there is indeed many grids for the game (I used Stardew Valley and Luigi Mansion for the test).

There are many icons with many resolutions :/ any suggestion?

CC. @Slluxx

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Powky Mine took a long time of just not using it for stuff to be found. I had all the information in the system, it wouldnt work, I came back after a couple weeks and it would find stuff.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes there is, I have searched on SteamGridDB myself the games I was searching and there is indeed many grids for the game (I used Stardew Valley and Luigi Mansion for the test).

There are many icons with many resolutions :/ any suggestion?

CC. @Slluxx
IIRC the switch can only handle jpg's. some formats are filtered out and not shown the the homebrew user at all.
Also, there is a difference between icons and banners or whatever it was called.

tbh i cant remember anymore but i know that some users had the same issue and something along the lines of this was the reason.
@Slluxx yes looks like before and normal!
WTF who is doing this?

But now I can reach out to you I would like to ask you, can we get a
IconGrabber 1.5 (or whatever) with the new GUI and easier icon setting?

DANKE 😍
Thank you 😘

I dont want to be a party pooper but the switch (homebrew) scene is kind of dead. There are currently other projects that i have a lot more interest in. I will eventually finish this but i cant give any ETA. im sorry

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I dont want to be a party pooper but the switch (homebrew) scene is kind of dead. There are currently other projects that i have a lot more interest in. I will eventually finish this but i cant give any ETA. im sorry
You really think the scene is kind of dead?
🤔 What makes you think of that?

Every day new videos, new tutorials, growing discord servers, growing forums (like this one) and especially Modchips show me that this isn't true!

And after I showed some people my project with this kind of icons, nearly all of them want it!

PORTAL Companion Collection.jpg

@SodaSoba @HoTsHoTz79 maybe interested to put them in your "repo" (github)?

And I tell all of them to get icongrabber and their steam API to easily use my vertical theme cardrige icons!
But all of them say that it is a bit annoying the way icongrabber is handling choosing and setting up the icons!

It would be awesome to get a version of your app including what you showed in your thread here!

I also showed this style of icons to CTCaer asking if it is possible to get rid of the gray box around every icon in the launch menu and, because of 128x192 instead of 192x192, if we also could get 5 entry's!
He really like it and let me test it with a nyx.bin that is now official with hekate 5.8.0 and nyx 1.3.0!

So, please don't let you're awesome project down for a scene that's anything else than kinda dead!

2022060800222900-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Doesn't really use the size of a "normal" vertical theme but don't know if the animation would break!

And here my hekate (filled just to show it)
nyx20220507_182027.png

Last edited by BeckysFootSlave,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Every day new videos, new tutorials, growing discord servers, growing forums (like this one) and especially Modchips show me that this isn't true!

And after I showed some people my project with this kind of icons, nearly all of them want it!

View attachment 316487

@SodaSoba @HoTsHoTz79 maybe interested to put them in your "repo" (github)?

And I tell all of them to get icongrabber and their steam API to easily use my vertical theme cardrige icons!
But all of them say that it is a bit annoying the way icongrabber is handling choosing and setting up the icons!

It would be awesome to get a version of your app including what you showed in your thread here!

I also showed this style of icons to CTCaer asking if it is possible to get rid of the gray box around every icon in the launch menu and, because of 128x192 instead of 192x192, if we also could get 5 entry's!
He really like it and let me test it with a nyx.bin that is now official with hekate 5.8.0 and nyx 1.3.0!

So, please don't let you're awesome project down for a scene that's anything else than kinda dead!

View attachment 316489
Doesn't really use the size of a "normal" vertical theme but don't know if the animation would break!

And here my hekate (filled just to show it)
View attachment 316490
Now that's some good looking sh*t, especially hekate! Well done.

Reactions: BeckysFootSlave

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not the switch scene, just the homebrew aspect of it. how many new homebrew releases have you seen in this year? every once in a while something pops up but thats nothing in comparison how it used to be. all the development talk in the major discord servers has basically completly stopped and the biggest devs have moved on to different projects outside of the switch scene.

Also, as part of Team Neptune and DeepSea, i have very good insight in how many people download, use and/or update our CFW AiO. The help we need to provide for newcommers also extremly slowed down. Obviously DeepSea can not reflect the state of the whole scene but it is just how it is.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Slluxx now I got it!
And you're right with homebrew scene and slow or stopped development!
Hell yeah, so many apps with last updated 2021 and even that is luck!
Some of them with 2019 (or 2018 🫣), so that it would be nice if the HB-Appstore staff (members) would add a routine that every app not touched for 6 months should be deleted from the store!

And if the developer made a new update, version etc. he has to upload it again!
Or, and that idea is much better, if the developer "gives up on it". it should be moved to a new tab called "outdated" (or something like that) so the app isn't forgotten and can be "grabbed" by another developer who wants to release a updated version because he likes the base idea of it or because he wants to take it further!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn