Homebrew RELEASE IconGrabber - Custom game icons & Theme Teaser

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hm. well, its up to their api if its possible or not. ill add it to the list on things to check out and possibly integrate.

I thought about looking at the thumbnail cache too if the file already exists but the problem is that images may change on steamgriddb and if it did, you would look at an outdated file in your cache. I could however add some kind of setting that could remind you to clear your cache after x days (but not do it for you). I think that would be a good compromise? Tell me what you think.

Yeah, ill defenitly add a "self submitted" folder in the next version.
Yeah I understand I've not looked into their API either, I know that I've hit githubs API limit when I was pulling and pushing too much to nx-gic as it download the entire repo with each update rather than diff.

Obviously icon cache would grow very fast and does indeed.
what about a thumbnail backup option or something as the cache in the icongrabber folder on the SD card pre downloads so would it not just be a case of sorting them into game folder name directories to use as a history?
Wouldn't that be handled on the switch?
Size may end up being a factor with that.

Love the self submitted folder that will be very handy for myself and I assume others
Mtp/FTP isn't too much of an issue really.
And obviously a much simpler solution.

How difficult would it be to browse a self hosted webpage? That way would it be possible to search your own selfhosted site or gallery?
Basically a reverse of NXGallery.nro ?

@binkinator I'm starting to upload to steamgriddb but I might have to upload something to GitHub where games not supported are, I need to think about my plan on that. But I'm slowly updating and adding to steamgriddb.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
what about a thumbnail backup option or something as the cache in the icongrabber folder on the SD card pre downloads so would it not just be a case of sorting them into game folder name directories to use as a history?
I am not quite sure what you are trying to ask, sorry. Could you elaborate?

How difficult would it be to browse a self hosted webpage? That way would it be possible to search your own selfhosted site or gallery?
Basically a reverse of NXGallery.nro ?
If there is a json file that provides me with details (like steamgrids api), its not hard at all. It wouldnt matter where its hosted as long as i can reach it via domain or IP. The json solution means it wouldnt even matter where the images are hosted exactly

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not quite sure what you are trying to ask, sorry. Could you elaborate?
I'll try, currently thumbnails are downloaded to
Sdmc:/gameIcons/thumbnails/*

Could it be possible to sort the downloaded thumbnails into folders that match the gamename for browsing?

Sdmc:/gameIcons/thumbnails/<gamename>/*

Sdmc:/gameIcons/full/<gamename>/*
Sdmc:/gameIcons/usersubmitted/<gamename>/*

maybe an ability to move icons or something

Sdmc:/gameIcons/*backup*/<gamename>/

It's a bit jumbled for sure and my request makes more sense in my head :P
but the thumbnails folder does have icons that have the ability to be used by icongrabber so just pointing to that folder alone would be useful.

If there is a json file that provides me with details (like steamgrids api), its not hard at all. It wouldnt matter where its hosted as long as i can reach it via domain or IP. The json solution means it wouldnt even matter where the images are hosted exactly.

I'm sure there are self hosted galleries with API calls I'll at least have a look, but this request isn't important as we have FTP/mtp ability, it was more just a thought of how easy to implement such a feature.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Could it be possible to sort the downloaded thumbnails into folders that match the gamename for browsing?
ah i understand. yeah that can be made. but i have to wage the time it takes to code versus the usefulness. adding folders to this adds complexity, games can have weird and unsupported characters in its title and this seems like a huge hassle for not (that) much benefit. Ill keep it in mind but idk. doesnt seem worth the hassle at first glance
I'm sure there are self hosted galleries with API calls I'll at least have a look
you dont need to have a real api. you could create a json file like this:

JSON:
{
    "games": {
        "game1":[
            "http://url.to.some/image.jpg",
            "192.168.1.100/image.jpg"
        ]
    }
}

and i would be able to extract the urls and display everything inside the homebew. obviously this is just an example json to get the idea

Reactions: SodaSoba

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thought id share how i imagine the future layout. This is not quite how i want it, because i can map multiple actions to a listItem (fancy word for button) via joycon key but it gets the idea across. This layout will make all the current feature requests possible (such as skipping the whole "download then apply" thin, custom sources aswell as local folders and other stuff i have planned.)

If you see any problems, have questions or ideas, please share them and ill be answering asap

If you are interested about the roadmap or my activity: here's the github branch

Code:
menu
├── Settings
│   ├── Set api key
│   └── other image dimension settings
├── Browse Installed games
│   └── Mario Kart 8
│       ├── SteamGridDB.com
│       │   └── Games found on SteamGridDB
│       │       ├── Mario Kart 8
│       │       │   ├── Image1
│       │       │   ├── Image2
│       │       │   └── Image3
│       │       ├── Mario Kart DS
│       │       └── Mario Kart
│       ├── Custom sources
│       │   ├── Image1
│       │   └── Image2
│       ├── Local folder
│       │   └── Image1
│       └── Delete currently installed custom icon
└── Browse Downloaded icons
    ├── Delete all icon folders
    └── Mario Kart 8
        ├── Delete all images for game
        └── Image1
            └── Delete image

Last edited by Slluxx,

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thought id share how i imagine the future layout. This is not quite how i want it, because i can map multiple actions to a listItem (fancy word for button) via joycon key but it gets the idea across. This layout will make all the current feature requests possible (such as skipping the whole "download then apply" thin, custom sources aswell as local folders and other stuff i have planned.)

If you see any problems, have questions or ideas, please share them and ill be answering asap

If you are interested about the roadmap or my activity: here's the github branch

Code:
menu
├── Settings
│   ├── Set api key
│   └── other image dimension settings
├── Browse Installed games
│   └── Mario Kart 8
│       ├── SteamGridDB.com
│       │   └── Games found on SteamGridDB
│       │       ├── Mario Kart 8
│       │       │   ├── Image1
│       │       │   ├── Image2
│       │       │   └── Image3
│       │       ├── Mario Kart DS
│       │       └── Mario Kart
│       ├── Custom sources
│       │   ├── Image1
│       │   └── Image2
│       ├── Local folder
│       │   └── Image1
│       └── Delete currently installed custom icon
└── Browse Downloaded icons
    ├── Delete all icon folders
    └── Mario Kart 8
        ├── Delete all images for game
        └── Image1
            └── Delete image
Looks great! as far as making you an icon I used this one

homebrew-icon-grabber.png
using nro_asset_editor to change out the icon.
I still have the psd, i can change anything if it interests you & require no credit

not sure if it would make more sense to have the icons under local in the same area as downloaded? as you apply Icons under Downloaded and would assume anything you've added you aren't necessarily looking for in the same way?

I would still say have a search feature (not sure if I've missed it) as sometimes games aren't under the actual switch title using steamgriddb but can be found with search.

EDIT; as far as adding sys-tweak I wouldn't recommend it, I'm not sure how p-sam would feel.
but i seem to recall it being an issue with certain things I ended up leaving and archive with everything needed to get sys-tweak working but without the actual nsp in my archive I can't 100% remember why it wasn't added to the archive but not sure if you could technically pull it from p-sams action as i believe it's an auto build repo?

Last edited by SodaSoba,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Looks great! as far as making you an icon I used this one

View attachment 295391
using nro_asset_editor to change out the icon.
I still have the psd, i can change anything if it interests you & require no credit

not sure if it would make more sense to have the icons under local in the same area as downloaded? as you apply Icons under Downloaded and would assume anything you've added you aren't necessarily looking for in the same way?

I would still say have a search feature (not sure if I've missed it) as sometimes games aren't under the actual switch title using steamgriddb but can be found with search.

EDIT; as far as adding sys-tweak I wouldn't recommend it, I'm not sure how p-sam would feel.
but i seem to recall it being an issue with certain things I ended up leaving and archive with everything needed to get sys-tweak working but without the actual nsp in my archive I can't 100% remember why it wasn't added to the archive but not sure if you could technically pull it from p-sams action as i believe it's an auto build repo?

if i take this icon (which i do quite like) or one modified from you, you will get credit ofc!
the hand could probably be thicker and white to make it more stand out on the small screen of the switch.

having a menu for downloaded and a menu for local images makes it easier to traverse through if you have like 100+ images.
apart from that i also need to do paging (which i didnt do in the last version) eg 50 items are displayed and then a button to show the next 50. i have to do this because of a flaw in Borealis, which tries to render every item, even if its not on screen (simply put) and this can get quite resource intense.
I probably could list them at the same location though. maybe i can add some kind of filter, which would be really nice.

and yeah, i missed the search element. wasnt thinking about that at all. ofcourse i will add that back!

Preparing all folders except for sys-tweaks nsp is definitly an option. maybe i can even download it from the homebrew itself.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
anything is technically possible, I'll make a few edits but i won't spam here about it
I was messing about before you posted but i will pm you tomorrow with a few more
if you come up with an idea or anything let me know.

homebrew-icon-grabbe2r.png

Reactions: Slluxx

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I may have accidentally stumbled into a small issue, I'll try to explain

if I'm searching for a game and the title exists in steamgriddb but no custom icons are available icongrabber will say no icons available.

Is there a way to look at the original steam asset in the API or anything?

This applies mainly to 600x900 the original will be listed under capsule on the webpage is there a API call to show that?

Screenshot_20220129-094740__01.jpg Screenshot_20220129-094747.jpg

This would be useful for just pulling a 2:3 original icon

--------------

I have also been working on a small project making covers for arcade archive titles, using the original arcade flyer some of these games are not supported or on steamgriddb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194895606@N02/albums/72177720296277408

I have made this album for now as a temporary measure so people can manually add them to any vertical theme.
I might add other covers not on steamgriddb the major downside is this method is a little slower than using the steamgriddb API.

Simply grab any desired Image and drop it into :
Code:
sdmc:/gameIcons/full

This method works with the icongrabber 1.0 app and will change as slluxx updates his application

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220129-094747.jpg
    Screenshot_20220129-094747.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20220129-094740__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20220129-094740__01.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by SodaSoba,

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I may have accidentally stumbled into a small issue, I'll try to explain

if I'm searching for a game and the title exists in steamgriddb but no custom icons are available icongrabber will say no icons available.

Is there a way to look at the original steam asset in the API or anything?

This applies mainly to 600x900 the original will be listed under capsule on the webpage is there a API call to show that?

View attachment 295709 View attachment 295710

This would be useful for just pulling a 2:3 original icon

--------------

I have also been working on a small project making covers for arcade archive titles, using the original arcade flyer some of these games are not supported or on steamgriddb.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194895606@N02/albums/72177720296277408

I have made this album for now as a temporary measure so people can manually add them to any vertical theme.
I might add other covers not on steamgriddb the major downside is this method is a little slower than using the steamgriddb API.

Simply grab any desired Image and drop it into :
Code:
sdmc:/gameIcons/full

This method works with the icongrabber 1.0 app and will change as slluxx updates his application

Not sure why this happens but i am 100% certain that it will be fixed after the rewrite is done. Ill have a lot more flexibility with the api by then.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Here is a quick update. After creating a solid code foundation, i started with redesigning the menu(s). Obviously this is not final at all. its just where i am currently at.

Sys-tweak will be downloaded through the homebrew, which will make things a lot easier for new people.

Cardellos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm. I don't feel like this should be part of the homebrew. There are other solutions, like putting all your icons in a folder and then run a script that applies the overlay to all images in that folder. I could create something like that for you in 10 minutes if you are interested. What's your operating system?

I think i can do that in windows (my OS), but i wanted something on the switch.
My pc is really old and slow to open PS takes 5 min...
Thanks anyway!

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think i can do that in windows (my OS), but i wanted something on the switch.
My pc is really old and slow to open PS takes 5 min...
Thanks anyway!
Mine can't even open Photoshop. I have 4gb ram and a 2 core laptop from 10-15 years ago and I still manage somehow 😅

Like I said, I can whip out a simple program that does it for you. No need for Photoshop.

Oh and also, try Photopea. It's basically Photoshop in the browser and what I am using since I found it a few years ago.

Reactions: Cardellos

Cardellos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Mine can't even open Photoshop. I have 4gb ram and a 2 core laptop from 10-15 years ago and I still manage somehow 😅

Like I said, I can whip out a simple program that does it for you. No need for Photoshop.

Oh and also, try Photopea. It's basically Photoshop in the browser and what I am using since I found it a few years ago.

Yeap, we are in the same boat my friend, my is as old and low end as yours but i have and external HDD

i totally forgot about Photopea! thanks!
also, i made an icon too, it's shit but you can use it.

Attachments

• Icon Grabber.jpg
    Icon Grabber.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Icon Grabber.png
    Icon Grabber.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: Slluxx and SodaSoba

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeap, we are in the same boat my friend, my is as old and low end as yours but i have and external HDD

They look good, not sure about the hba icon personally but the icon theme fits

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Thanks for your submission :D
I agree with Soda that having parts of the appstore icon is not the best way to go about it. though i like card and grabbing thingy.

A new icon is not top priority so i guess thats something i want to care about last :)

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just checking in for some updates. The process of setting images is now blazingly fast. The notification says image downloaded but actually the image is already applied to the game.

Ive also increased the preview icon size a lot. Now you can finally see what your image will look like without squinting

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just checking in for some updates. The process of setting images is now blazingly fast. The notification says image downloaded but actually the image is already applied to the game.

Ive also increased the preview icon size a lot. Now you can finally see what your image will look like without squinting
View attachment 296379
That's so cool! looks less cumbersome then the previous version.

Also I see my icons :P

Rodel

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

View attachment 296379
wow thats a nice update of the app

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"