I'am curious: How much $-value can a American import without paying customs?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Bonny, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Bonny
    OP

Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    This is something i really wanna know.

Here in Germany, everything you import from outside the European Union, gets taxed with 19% - IF the value of the goods is over 20 Euros. And the shipping costs are also getting taxed! It also cares noone, if the goods are marked as gift - they don't belive it anyway...

What about... well, a private person living in California. How much of value can he import without paying tax, and if he has to, how much? Can anyone tell me, please?

Last edited by Bonny, Apr 23, 2017
  2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Fuck them at the tax office.
    The problem is not that they tax you for VAT (19%) plus duty (e.g. 12% for cotton products).
    The problem is they make you go to the middle of the countryside to get your damn things.
    If you wanted it delivered to your house, paying by transfer or whatever, they charge an additional 30€ or something for the service, damn thieves!

/rant

3. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Yeah, i hate them so much. Greedy fucking goverment.

Back to my question: How's the situation in the US? California?

4. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    send as a gift, no tax anywhere then.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I'm not sure I understand the question? In Texas, I've never had to pay an import fee for foreign packages. Just mild shipping charges.

6. Bonny
    OP

Dec 8, 2008
    Germany
    Bavaria
    Well... here in Germany - as a private person - you can't just order things from around the globe taxless. The customs here in Germany are checking every letter/parcel from outside the European Union, and if there are goods inside with a value over 20 Euro -> You get taxed! 19%! Also on the shipping costs!

Last edited by Bonny, Apr 23, 2017
  7. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    The thing is in the USA, the VAT taxes (or as Canadian call them GST / Mehrwertsteuer in Germany) don't work the same. I think they don't even exist there.
    How do you actually pay taxes for anything you buy, local or imported, in the USA?
    Do you pay taxes for what you buy at all?

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Apr 23, 2017
  8. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    In Serbia, they have their own prices at the customs office. For example, I bought Ryzen 1600x for a customer, ordered from Austria, 260€. Here in the shops, same CPU is 450€. It was sent as a gift, but… customs office treated it as a 500€ item! And all of my profit went down the drain

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It gets tricky, especially if you want to be ultra legit.

Outside the country is one thing. $2500 is where it gets fun https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/214/kw/value limits
    Between states is another. It can vary with goods as well but there is a reason various internet companies have warehouses all over the country and ship from one place to another as you can dodge in state taxes, other companies might just avoid it for everything other than the state they are in and their customers within it can deal with it. Alcohol and tobacco are big ways to mix things up again (also from outside the country), and firearms are a whole world unto themselves (various ones here but a good start is suppressors, informally what you would know as a sliencer, for things tend to not be illegal in places as much as need a "tax stamp"). I have no idea what goes for marijuana, and it is likely that nobody really does (states have legalised things, however the federal government has not, as the feds tend to control borders they might have something to say and now we all need to be lawyers to continue).
    While VAT is not a thing (they have sales tax but it is quite different, and quite complex -- states, counties and towns can all set a rate that gets stuck together, some states have no sales tax at all) there is also something in a lot of places called use tax that, in my experience anyway, basically everybody evades because they can or because they genuinely do not know about it. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/use-tax.shtml as you mentioned California.
    Gifts https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/130/kw/value limits
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/407/kw/value limits

You can continue reading https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/search/1/kw/value limits/suggested/1 if you like.

Also as you mentioned EU VAT then something not so many people are aware of
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-carousel-fraud-britain-factbox-sb-idUKTRE57J43U20090820

Bonny likes this.
  10. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    This happenes here a lot... major company called Alti, has monopoly over tech stuff(pc hardware, tvs, electronics in general) does that. We all know it but heh, nothing was or will ever be done.

11. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I know that domestic purchases are taxed by (Texas's rate) 8.25% (varies upon state, Oregon pays none) for any non food item. Junk foods and cigs/alcohol are also taxed, I think, via a "sin tax"? Though I am not certain.