i7 4790K vs i7 5820K vs i7 6700K? What would be your pick?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by raystriker, Dec 11, 2015.

1. raystriker
    OP

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Keeping factors like performance in different tasks, price, features, availability in mind, which one would you choose? and why exactly?

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Depends on whether or not you plan on using integrated graphics and/or DDR4 memory. If you don't plan on using either, then definitely the 5820K for price/features, or 4790K for price (I have the 4690K and it is actually pretty superb in it's own right, and the i7 is capable of better clock speeds and has double the cores if I remember correctly)

3. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Newest is always best, but realistically, single-thread performance hasn't increased significantly for a number of years now, so in that respect all the processors you have listed are likely very close in performance (too lazy to Google the benchmarks, but fairly certain of the results anyway).

As Insanity stated, the iGPU performance has increased significantly since 4th gen, but it is still easy to outclass even with an entry-level GPU.

Choose your budget, then choose your chip.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    As mentioned, it just depends on the budget of the build you're going for, what you're gonna use it for etc.

Personally, I would choose the 4790k, but only if I was forced to choose between those 3 specific CPUs. Since I never dick around with video editing/3D modeling etc etc and only game on my PC, there's virtually 0 benefit to choosing an i7 over an i5 gaming wise. The benchmarks for games are incredibly insignificant compared to the price difference. For example, I plan on upgrading my own rig from an i5 3470 to an i5 6600 (maybe K, but the differences in performance isn't nearly worth the $50 price difference or whatever) at some point in time in the future whenever I have extra money to burn.

Skylake also, currently anyways, offers little performance increase compared to something like the 4970K (CPU-wise, anyways), so spending the extra money for the motherboard and DD4 also seems useless ATM.

5. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    depends on application uses, and budget like many have said

will you be using the igp or using a separate gfx card?

6. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Honestly unless you do 4K video editing the best you could need is a Devil's Canyon

7. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    I'm just checking out other people's opinions.

In my opinion, improvement in iGFX doesn't really matter cause if you get a cpu so bad-ass, you ought to get a graphics to do it justice.

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I picked the 5820k simply because newegg sent me a free x99 motherboard for review
    I do minor video editing and cad work but really not pushing this cpu anywhere near its top performance, the future proofing is nice though

if I didn't get the free board maybe I would consider an i5 4XXX series instead

TotalInsanity4 and raystriker like this.
  9. raystriker
    OP

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    lucky you :P